What's new

Alton Towers New Flat Ride?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
How would Galactica realistically be themed to fit in? Track respray?
Honestly yet brutally - take it out. For me the ride has felt very weak these days and over my rides on it the only one that really stood out at all was my first ride, and everything after that it was just very "I'm on a flying roller coaster". It feels dated and more out of place than ever, and these days just provides a bit of a lacklustre ride experience especially when compared to the other major rides of the park. Hold a major celebration in its final year, embrace what it was and what it achieved, allow it to go out in style, then put something completely new and different on its plot. The park can't cling onto the exact same rides forever, and while I do think there are rides that deserve preservation (Nemesis), the same can't be said for others. Galactica plot is prime real estate for a new modern attraction that would be great for the park.

Gargamel

Roller Poster
Honestly yet brutally - take it out. For me the ride has felt very weak these days and over my rides on it the only one that really stood out at all was my first ride, and everything after that it was just very "I'm on a flying roller coaster". It feels dated and more out of place than ever, and these days just provides a bit of a lacklustre ride experience especially when compared to the other major rides of the park. Hold a major celebration in its final year, embrace what it was and what it achieved, allow it to go out in style, then put something completely new and different on its plot. The park can't cling onto the exact same rides forever, and while I do think there are rides that deserve preservation (Nemesis), the same can't be said for others. Galactica plot is prime real estate for a new modern attraction that would be great for the park.
Why would Alton Towers use money to dismantle a popular coaster with some flaws when they could probably use that same amount of money to upgrade it

Gazza

Giga Poster
Why dont they theme the Galactica trains to some sort of flying beast, and then the modern station just needs to be themed as some sort of secretive military organization. Then put some black land rovers with satellite dishes and logos on the door out the front of the ride.

It's the Merlin way.

spicy

Giga Poster

JoshC.

Strata Poster
A new top spin is 2 steps forwards, 1 step back in my opinion.

Great to see the flat ride line up get some attention, and with the current Merlin set up, I have a degree of confidence that it will be handled appropriately.

But bringing in a ride type which is known to more be a spectator ride, was previously at the park with minimal popularity, and also known to not be the most reliable of systems, is certainly a choice.

Of course, 2 steps forwards, 1 step back is still 1 step forward. Admittedly that comes after the park took several steps back in previous years, but I don't hold that against the current Merlin set up

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
In the space available what would you all want? 🤔

Personally I welcome this news, I like top spins and I always thought that they should have just replaced it like for like.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Very positive development. It'll bring a much needed new filler addition to the park, and finally a new permanent flat ride that is also suitable for thrill seekers. Yes we have seen a Topspin at Towers before, and yes Ripsaw wasn't the most reliable attraction in the world, but the previous incarnation was also pretty old.. this is the new model from Huss, both rows face out towards the guests below.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
this is the new model from Huss, both rows face out towards the guests below.
Is it confirmed that this will be the floorless model? Huss nowadays offers the theater seating option again under the name Top Spin Classic, presumably with updated restraints and seat design given it's a long time since they made a standard model.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Is it confirmed that this will be the floorless model? Huss nowadays offers the theater seating option again under the name Top Spin Classic, presumably with updated restraints and seat design given it's a long time since they made a standard model.
Yes, it was always confirmed it would be a top spin, and it was always confirmed it would be the floorless model... Anybody who saw that all of the dimensions matched up to the decimal place, and still had ideas or hopes of it being something else is living in cloud cuckoo land. (Pun intended.) We weren't talking roughly matched dimensions, as in to the closest metre, they matched up to the decimal place or CM. There is the gap underneath for the floor to drop into and everything, it's all there, and always has been there, in the plans online.

I am excited for it, think it 'could' be a great addition. But Josh makes a valid point, it is just as much a spectacle as it is a ride. Alton Towers positioning it where they have, and in the way that they have, suggests they know this. But much will depend on how they theme it, what effects they add, and more importantly, what effects they keep operational.

Talocan is running without it's fire, and it's a sad sight to see... Nobody bothers watching it anymore, where there would normally have been crowds gathered, there is just the odd few waiting for their friends / family to disembark.

Edited to add: I should clarify, there is still the slimmest, tiniest, miniscule chance that it is a new model of topspin, or upgraded version of the floorless model, but it'd have to have identical dimensions, and the chance of a significantly upgraded version having exactly the same dimensions is extremely slim.

Last edited:

Ollie

CF Legend
Even though it's another Top Spin, the park could really benefit from some additional permanent flat rides so I'm all for this.

Ripsaw wasn't just fun to ride but it created a great visual spectacle for those watching. Having crowds of people gathered round cheering and laughing as riders are lowered face first into water jets and then spun dry after creates a great atmosphere. We need more rides where you can get as much enjoyment just watching it.

Hoping that Towers seizes the opportunity to create something as visual and intense as Talocan. Doubt it, but we can dream. 🤣

Swat

Hyper Poster
I really don't understand the negativity of people saying its another Topspin.. It's going to look great when its done and will be such a big visual impact to the area.

The old 'It's the same old ride, why not get something new' crowd need to remember there are at least three other spare flatride spots the park will hopefully be filling.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
People will complain about anything.

I'm really happy and can't wait, plus it will be an upgrade over what Ripsaw offered.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
So back in the days when I first started playing RCT and getting interested in coasters (back in 2001!), the thing that made me want to go to a theme park was when the Submission advert came on TV. I look back now and think that Submission was a horrible and uncomfortable ride, but the advert was really cool and the ride was a bit of a spectacle to watch.

My point being; if they market the new ride then people will come. And hey, maybe one or two of them will find their way to CF.

I do hope they go all in with the theming. If Chiapas Talocan tells you anything it’s that it’s a spectacle to watch (and film for tiktok/socials.. I’ve been sent videos of Talocan by non thoosies.. free publicity!). The Nemesis eye works in a similar fashion.

Also, for those who haven’t seen it, this is the advert I was on about:

Last edited:

Bowser

Mega Poster
I really don't understand the negativity of people saying its another Topspin.. It's going to look great when its done and will be such a big visual impact to the area.

The old 'It's the same old ride, why not get something new' crowd need to remember there are at least three other spare flatride spots the park will hopefully be filling.

And being 10 years later there will be a generation of people who never saw/rode it. The complaints are from the perspective of an enthusiast, which is fine but from the park's point of view seems like a solid addition.