What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers submits planning permission

I'm just looking forward to seeing what the Air area will look like with all this added theming and the new food loop! It's the first time in a long time I've been excited about getting back to Towers. That's mainly because I'm looking forward to going on The Smiler again though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

So AT is announcing their 2016 plans on January 12th at 8:30 AM(GMT) at the London Science Museum.

Still betting on an RMC woodie.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

^2016 plans are the restaurant and Air retheme so they won't be announcing an RMC :)

Unless you mean 2017, then maybe.

Ben

CF Legend

Hahaha, not an RMC.

It'll be the virtual reality on Air, hence the Science Museum.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Just imagine for one brief, magical minute that the announcement on the 12th Jan is for a sexy coaster.

The world would rejoice because Alton Towers, and Merlin in general, would have finally grasped the best way to promote and excite people about a big, sexy new ride is to announce it from the off! Bells, fanfares, party poppers - the whole lot! Everybody would get excited, there'd be concept art and videos plastered all over the internet. People would be talking about the new ride knowing exactly what it is several years before opening! No more time and money spent being secretive, or the marketing department having to come up with eye-rolling ideas to keep it in the spotlight - all they'd need to do is keep telling everybody how fab it will be for reasons X, Y and Z. We'd all see the ride magically appear before our very eyes as it transforms. We'd all feel that we were part of the journey, from its conception to the grand opening. It would show with immense confidence that Alton Towers know they have a spectacular ride on their hands; there would be no need to dress it up as anything else to sell it to the public. Every person would be wowed and excited from day 1.

But with a bump down to earth, we know that would never happen. Big projects like coasters take two years to properly conceive and pop out of the coaster Goddess' vagina. By advertising the ride from the start of the two year gestation period, most people would hold off their visit until the new ride is open thus denting gate numbers. That would never happen with Merlin.

So yeah, as much as I like pulling things out of thin Air, it's back to reality. Virtual Reality ;)

Lofty

CF Legend

I find it very odd that they've started to remove Ripsaw and other theming elements from that area, when that's where the reported new coaster will be built - I am not saying that it's happening, but I do find it odd. And yea, I know Ripsaw was ****.

Also, what the **** is 'London Time'? I'm assuming that's what American's call GMT?

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ IIRC, way back when in the SW8 thread, it was mentioned that the station would be where Ripsaw abs and the Blade currently reside.... If it really is still happening for 2017, then now would be the time to get started.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Well they could pull it all out of the bag if the culmination of all of this is for a kick ass sw8, but if so I think they're going about it the wrong way by not marketing it (as Ian said) as super exciting preparations for an awesome new ride from the get go.

I know all of these changes were in the development plan but they look really bad being following so close after the accident. I expect originally they were more spread out but they've decided to do it all together instead.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

I think it's quite obvious that AT is getting an Air retheme and a Foodloop. I was joking on the RMC.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^It wasn't a particularly obvious joke, considering that there are strong rumours that they'll actually get one.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I heard from various, reliable sources that a RMC was on the cards for 2017. The accident put this in doubt but if, and it's a big if, it's still on he cards, we might see it in 2018. I'll find out more when I have my annual meeting with my trusted, reliable sources in early January. It's like a secret society where we all wear masks and chant in rhythm to the Colossus' theme music.

We'll see. But in the meantime, let's all get excited about the VR experience rumoured to be coming to Air. Yay!

Martyn B

CF Legend

Confirmed name for the new restaurant is "Roller Coaster Restaurant"....

Wtf Alton?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Or RCT.

"Rollercoaster Restaurant 1 is in need of a new name."

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

mouse

Giga Poster

Whats wrong with it?
Simple, straight to the point, and some alliteration. At least it doesn't have any Merlin "Most intense food experience" marketing crap.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

It's a bit unimaginative, yes, but it shouts out why it is so special. I wasn't really expecting anything else to be honest. Though I'm not sure if that says more about what I think about Alton's creativity at naming things than anything else..

shawnoc

Mega Poster

Coming from the same place that renamed caribia creek to Alton towers water park

jj23w

Hyper Poster

It's most probably a cover up so Enthusiasts don't find out the real name until air gets unveiled.