What's new

Alert to all TP Fanboys - 2012 Project

marc

CF Legend
Maybe we should all go back to the old days, no more internet etc and just see the new coaster when it is built and ready to ride :)

nealbie

CF Legend
marc said:
Maybe we should all go back to the old days, no more internet etc and just see the new coaster when it is built and ready to ride :)

Well quite!

But as pleasant as that would be, the parks must take some of the blame for insisting on promotional prostitution and viral marketing. They're the ones that have fed the ravenous RAGEful enthusiasts.

spicy

Giga Poster
To start off some premature excitement & speculation here are the plans again:

Coaster%201.preview.jpg

Rollercoaster%201%20profile.preview.jpg

Starts off straight from the lift hill, into an inline twist and into the first drop in this plan, cool :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
Wingwalker, that after the lift hill does a slow barrel roll before a half loop underneath (like a 4D style thingy), then some random hills and turns.

mannithemamouth

Roller Poster
nealbie said:
That's before we even get down to when things happen at Thorpe..... For all its faults (and it has many), layout and inception wasn't the problem with Saw, it's just the poor quality of the construction and theming that just gives off a 'last-minute botched-job' aura that makes it awful!

I dont mean to be rude but what is the problem with saw's construction?

Jools

Giga Poster
mannithemamouth said:
nealbie said:
That's before we even get down to when things happen at Thorpe..... For all its faults (and it has many), layout and inception wasn't the problem with Saw, it's just the poor quality of the construction and theming that just gives off a 'last-minute botched-job' aura that makes it awful!

I dont mean to be rude but what is the problem with saw's construction?

Other than the faults on opening week which was the manufacturers fault, I don't know either.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
That first drop looks interesting (even as a hater of hangtime), until I noticed how low the rest of the ride is and became worried that the drop will have breaks on it like Mumbo Jumbo does or turn into a ****ing I305. But, but... it's supposed to be a B&M so this, this can't happen. Right? RIGHT? D: That long straight bit is really ****ing weird too.

Well at least it looks interesting if nothing else.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Hmm, I was vaguely interested, until I saw the plans. A nice big ride, an interesting looking first element (even if I'm not overly thrilled by the idea of it), but what's with the rest of the layout? From what I can see, it looks to be a good height, drop down to ground level, go straight for a while, and finish up with some pointless, low level meandering. Meh.

furie said:
For the UK it's just been constant disappointment after disappointment after disappointment. I think Th13teen killed off a huge amount of enthusiasm a lot of people had for UK rides (particularly those brought forward by Merlin).
Saw was shaping up to be a decent ride, before Merlin decided at the last possible minute to stick what in my mind was a crappy franchise theme on it. With Th13teen, they took a type of roller coaster that could be pretty decent (see Mine Train Ulven) and made something absolutely pathetic.

nealbie said:
Welcome to coaster enthusiasts.... never happy.... always bemoaning anything less than perfection....
See, for me to be enthusiastic, there would have to be something for me to get enthusiastic about. I'll give this thing a fair chance when its built and I actually get to ride the thing, and it it turns out to be a good ride, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

I've ridden a lot of great coasters. We may not have experienced every possible thing that could make a ride great, but we sure as hell know by now what pieces of the puzzle will result in a great ride. There is no reason why parks can't build a few world class roller coasters in the UK, even with the strict planning laws we have here. Height sure as hell isn't everything. Instead, what do we get? Half-assed kiddie coasters, and lame marketing gimmicks.

nealbie said:
That's before we even get down to when things happen at Thorpe...
Indeed. I don't hate the park itself as such - it's got some good rides, and the scallies are just a fact of life. Reliability seems to be much improved as well, but operations still leave a lot to be desired. I've been to the park twice this season, and came away on both occasions having had a half decent day, but with the impression that the higher ups still don't give a **** what sort of day I've had. Having rides that aren't ready for park opening just isn't good enough. Nor is starting off busy days with Inferno only running one train.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
That straight is screaming out to be trims, or maybe even a water splash? Then that should slow it down for the smaller, slower sections after it.

Still, agree with you Joey, very odd. Looks like the first drop will be all anyone talks about and the bit after just looks worthless.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I don't think the twist at the top will be anything special. I reckon it'll just be like a sharp steep start to the drop, rather than creating any real hang time.

neo

Mega Poster
Well those aren’t the actual plans. They were quick drawings for the MTDP to illustrate the location and height of a new coaster against its current skyline. I’d expect a full planning application in January for a March 2012 opening. Saw had its final application submitted in January of 2008, which is really the latest it could be left for a coaster. Still, the track and supports on the quick drawing seem to indicate a B&M.

If the teaser poster is official it could mean they’ve wised up to the enthusiasts. But if Project Dylan was anything to go by LC12 probably means 12 Little Cats.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Thanks for the info Neo. If they are just stand-in plans then it's highly unlikely that whatever is built on that land will be anything like this, as we know from experience. Saying that though, they previously used existing coasters as stand-ins... this isn't an existing coaster layout is it?

That straight is screaming out to be trims, or maybe even a water splash? Then that should slow it down for the smaller, slower sections after it.
That would make perfect sense because not only are water splash's all the rage, but Merlin are really, really keen on interactive elements at the moment.

neo

Mega Poster
Joey said:
Thanks for the info Neo. If they are just stand-in plans then it's highly unlikely that whatever is built on that land will be anything like this, as we know from experience. Saying that though, they previously used existing coasters as stand-ins... this isn't an existing coaster layout is it?

I don’t recognise it. It’s probably just a quick sketch to illustrate the plan/idea.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yes, but it looks a little less than a complete drawing doesn't it? I think he meant 'quick-sketch' in a roundabout sort of way.

Tim

Roller Poster
A splash section would require some sort of splash pool though, and there's nothing like that on the plans.

Certainly not in the right place at least

Where is this image cropped from anyway? One of the large maps of the LTDP? Because those were fairly generalised, what with Stealth being suggested with its closest comparable equivalent (Xcellerator, Knotts) at the time

I doubt if this is the layout at all.
And if this were a progressed concept, we should probably expect to see some ride shops, queues, transfer track and station buildings included too

Personally think its a tad premature to start shooting down the dream though. Looking at instalments of similar scale across the Merlin range right now is rather promising.
The European parks are getting some intriguing stuff- and the fact that they are BaMs suggest that the company are still more than willing to invest in the expensive hardware for the long term gain