What's new

Alton Towers New Flat Ride?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
So back in the days when I first started playing RCT and getting interested in coasters (back in 2001!), the thing that made me want to go to a theme park was when the Submission advert came on TV. I look back now and think that Submission was a horrible and uncomfortable ride, but the advert was really cool and the ride was a bit of a spectacle to watch.

My point being; if they market the new ride then people will come. And hey, maybe one or two of them will find their way to CF.

I do hope they go all in with the theming. If Chiapas tells you anything it’s that it’s a spectacle to watch (and film for tiktok/socials.. I’ve been sent videos of Chiapas by non thoosies.. free publicity!). The Nemesis eye works in a similar fashion.

Also, for those who haven’t seen it, this is the advert I was on about:
Do you mean Chiapas or their top spin, Talocan?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Unless they go all out on the theming, a la Talocan, then I don't quite understand the choice of flat.

I'm not being ungrateful, considering the sorry state Towers finds itself in, in terms of flat ride availability. But, what gives?

They've gone for the exact same ride in pretty much the exact same spot, which wasn't hugely popular when it left. I just have to wonder why they wouldn't go for something new, to spark more interest. The fact that Nemesis has remained with its refurb, perhaps provides even more justification for a new style of flat ride for the thrillseeking public.

vaugc002

Hyper Poster
Unless they go all out on the theming, a la Talocan, then I don't quite understand the choice of flat.

I'm not being ungrateful, considering the sorry state Towers finds itself in, in terms of flat ride availability. But, what gives?

They've gone for the exact same ride in pretty much the exact same spot, which wasn't hugely popular when it left. I just have to wonder why they wouldn't go for something new, to spark more interest. The fact that Nemesis has remained with its refurb, perhaps provides even more justification for a new style of flat ride for the thrillseeking public.
Do you think it has something to do with planning - i.e does a reiteration of something (as it's kinda like a rebuild) get easier acceptance versus something new?
No idea but could be a reason

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I see people's point about a top spin being a fine addition, because we're talking about a ride which was removed 10 years ago. It is effectively new. And yes, a new permanent ride is great.

But top spins...aren't popular rides? Any theme park I've been in that has one, they never attract a long queue, they don't have a good throughput, and they're not reliable. Even the likes of Talocan, considered the best out there, never draws much of a queue.

What Towers needs is rides which people will ride. Sure, a top spin increases the amount of people per hour that can ride some ride. And plenty of people will get pleasure from watching it. But it doesn't address the core problem that Towers has at the moment.

Happy to eat my hat if I'm wrong, or if they end up introducing multiple permanent new flat rides next year. But right now, this is little more than just a small step in the right direction, when they could have made a huge stride.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I see people's point about a top spin being a fine addition, because we're talking about a ride which was removed 10 years ago. It is effectively new. And yes, a new permanent ride is great.

But top spins...aren't popular rides? Any theme park I've been in that has one, they never attract a long queue, they don't have a good throughput, and they're not reliable. Even the likes of Talocan, considered the best out there, never draws much of a queue.

What Towers needs is rides which people will ride. Sure, a top spin increases the amount of people per hour that can ride some ride. And plenty of people will get pleasure from watching it. But it doesn't address the core problem that Towers has at the moment.

Happy to eat my hat if I'm wrong, or if they end up introducing multiple permanent new flat rides next year. But right now, this is little more than just a small step in the right direction, when they could have made a huge stride.
On my visits, when Talocan actually had it's fire going, it always had a longer queue than Taron... Obviously much of that is down to throughput, but if a Top Spin queue is going to hold 45+ mins worth of people, plus lots of spectators, then it's doing a fantastic job compared to many other flat options. Talocan is an exception though, rather than a rule, and it's success depends massively on it's effects and the theatre they produce.

Alton Towers absolutely need to nail this as a spectacle, nail the marketing, and I guarantee you'll see queues regularly creep above 30 minutes, and maybe well beyond on busy days. I think they can pull it off.

That being said, I also don't believe this is 'it.' I am fully expecting more flats, whether they're in a similar time frame to Ripsaw's Revenge or a little later, I don't think we'll wait too long, if at all.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
What sort of flat rides would people like to see at the Towers?

When I think of a flat ride I really enjoy, I think of Loke at Liseberg.. great fun, lap bars.. but that’d be too tall for the towers. Similar story with a screaming swing (plus their ride times are too short).

Nebulaz are popping up everywhere, and while they’re interesting to watch off ride, they’re basically a glorified mini ferris wheel. Air races just feels like you’re doing a bunch of corkscrews over and over, not a fan.

Maybe they could bring back a chair swing for nostalgic family fun? Add some water fountains like Billy’s Whizzer at Chessington and it becomes a hilarious water ride.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

When I think of a flat ride I really enjoy, I think of Loke at Liseberg.. great fun, lap bars.. but that’d be too tall for the towers. Similar story with a screaming swing (plus their ride times are too short).

Nebulaz are popping up everywhere, and while they’re interesting to watch off ride, they’re basically a glorified mini ferris wheel. Air races just feels like you’re doing a bunch of corkscrews over and over, not a fan.

Maybe they could bring back a chair swing for nostalgic family fun? Add some water fountains like Billy’s Whizzer at Chessington and it becomes a hilarious water ride.

I'd like to see the classics that either fell victim to '2015' and the years after, or were removed for another reason, return... But with a modern twist, so:

Top Spin Floorless
Enterprise 2G
Breakdance 5
I would like to see the Wave Swinger return too, although that is Zierer which doesn't fit with the Huss rumours.

In terms of 'new' flats that I'd like to see, but will not see:

Huss - Jump 2
Mondial - Shake (I'd love to see one of these in the FV 'arcade.' Using lasers, projections, strobes and dark moments throughout the cycle. Would probably be instead of a Breakdance.)
TP - Aerobat (Would probably be instead of the Enterprise.)

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
If they did manage to get some sort of Bulk deal with Huss I would like to see a Magic 2G by cursed and theme it to a similar story line and then also a Troika 2G maybe in X Sector where enterprise was.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I agree with @JoshC.

I also think Alton needs more ‘for everybody’ attractions and less ‘thrill rides’. I’m avoiding saying ‘family’ because I think that emphasises a need to appeal to children, whereas I’d prefer something more ‘passive’ and ‘dissipating’.

They ought to throw down a ‘for everyone themed’ antique cars or one of those slow boat / dingy raft through gardens rides like at Europa or Parc Asterix. Something calm to make the park more balanced.

In truth, it’s hard to say where those sort of rides would fit in amongst the current ‘lands’.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
They worked during the winter season too if I recall correctly, at which incidentally I always had to wait a couple of cycles in the queue before riding.

Sandman

Giga Poster

I actually think a gyro like Loke would be a brilliant addition to Towers. Good capacity, decent cycle, a visual spectacle for off ride guests.

Too tall you say? Why, even more reason to go subterranean. Just imagine how good Forbidden Valley would be if it was made up of several expansive pits. A big old gyro swinging down into a large valley, a brilliant idea if you ask me. Yes, I know, it'd be expensive. But imagine 😍

Graeme

Roller Poster
Schwartzkopf (or Gerstlauer) Polyp please.

Would take a Breakdance for sure or a Loki style swing.

You know, good rides.

Couldn't agree more. Probably the three best types of flat ride, and ones that have endured over time. Octopus-themed Polyp in Mutiny Bay and a Breakdance 5 in X Sector.

I actually think a gyro like Loke would be a brilliant addition to Towers. Good capacity, decent cycle, a visual spectacle for off ride guests.

Too tall you say? Why, even more reason to go subterranean. Just imagine how good Forbidden Valley would be if it was made up of several expansive pits. A big old gyro swinging down into a large valley, a brilliant idea if you ask me. Yes, I know, it'd be expensive. But imagine 😍

That's probably the one type of flat ride that is actually worth doing that for. Twenty years ago it would have been a KMG, and now it would probably be an Intamin, but the general ride style never gets old.

Will

Strata Poster
Yessss :)
A really well themed breakdance to replace Sub Terra would be marvellous. I'd settle for it at the bottom of X Sector, but it would seem more poetic in the valley.

Some people seem to be getting quite excited about the topspin - and as cynical as I normally am, having seen the effort that went into scenery and looks for Nemesis at the start of the season, there's no reason not to be. I can't see it being a Talocan though - it's more than possible, but I just can't imagine them doing the necessary upkeep.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster

I'd be happy with any of the following:

Huss Top Spin
Huss Booster Revolution
Gerstlauer Polyp
Gerstlauer Sky Racer
KMG Move It 32
Classic Wave Swinger

I think I'd like to cautiously try out the Zamperla Blendez too.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yessss :)
A really well themed breakdance to replace Sub Terra would be marvellous. I'd settle for it at the bottom of X Sector, but it would seem more poetic in the valley.

Some people seem to be getting quite excited about the topspin - and as cynical as I normally am, having seen the effort that went into scenery and looks for Nemesis at the start of the season, there's no reason not to be. I can't see it being a Talocan though - it's more than possible, but I just can't imagine them doing the necessary upkeep.
It 'could' be better than Talocan... I never understood why PL went with a floorless model when they were covering one side up. That back wall looks pretty off ride, but it's a bit of a bummer if you end up facing that way when riding.

Get this right, with water effects on galactica's side, retheming Galactica to water, and fire effects on Nemesis' side... And they're onto a winner. ;)