What's new

Has Dubai/Abu Dhabi beaten Central Florida as the Theme Park Capital of the world?

Has Dubai/Abu Dhabi beaten Central Florida as the theme park capital of the world?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Earlier today, I was watching Shawn Sanbrooke's Vlog from Motiongate, and it made me think; has the Dubai area beaten Central Florida as the theme park capital of the world? I wasn't overly sure at the time, so I decided to pose the question to you guys and see what your opinions are. I've had a thought, and I personally think no, because even though Dubai may have an equal amount of parks to Orlando, I don't think that anywhere can counter with the sort of package of world class theme parks that Florida has, unless Disney or Universal arrives in Dubai. What are your opinions?
P.S. Sorry if there's already a thread like this.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not even close.

Only Formula Rossa and Flying Aces beat the stuff in Florida, otherwise the rides are essentially just clones (and not amazing ones at that). Busch Gardens has a better coaster selection than the UAE, Universal has better dark rides, and Disney has far more immersive environments. Not to mention half the year it's too hot to sensibly be outside for any length of time.

Don't get me wrong, Abu Dhabi/Dubai are kinda fab, but there's no way they beat Orlando from a park perspective.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
It's not even down to ride selection, Dubai/UAE parks simply get a tiny number of visitors compared to the Orlando parks. Orlando is known as a theme park hub because so many people go there specifically for the parks. I can't imagine going to Disney or Universal and only seeing two other guests, no matter what day or time. That was a surreal experience.

Edward M

Strata Poster
You’re comparing a few parks that opened in the last few years to the two largest theme park resorts in the world, one opening 1971 and the other 1990. It’s simply no competition. You also have Busch Gardens and SeaWorld which makes it an even further win for Florida.

Lastly, judging from the fact that every trip report I’ve heard about these parks says they’re usually pretty empty (please correct me if I’m wrong), it seems like they aren’t going to be growing too much. I see some of them closing in the near future tbh. Even if some succeed, over saturation will undoubtedly lead to the failure of some in the area.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Not to mention that they have some pretty draconian laws that, if you're one of the unlucky ones that day, carry pretty insane prison terms.

And the fact that a lot of what's there (not necessarily the theme parks) was/is built using slave labour, which some people find hard to ignore for the sake of some mediocre rides

Matt N

CF Legend
So currently the resounding answer is No, and I would personally agree. Now I'm interested to see if anyone says Yes.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Well, I've been to Orlando twice and currently, I'd rather go to Orlando for a third time than go to UAE for the first time. So another no here.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I'd say what makes Orlando the capital is that everyone knows about it and does it. The 'GP' love a bit of Orlando.

Never spoken to anyone that knows theme parks exist in UAE. They're shocked when I tell them.

More no.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'd rather go to the UAE. I was last in Orlando in 2013, and didn't go to Disney.

Fastest coaster in the world, Flying Aces, Mack Launcher and a bunch of other interesting creds and quiet parks vs a few ridiculously busy parks full of mice and other roaming animals. Easy choice.

But Orlando is still the TP Capital obviously, I'm the exception to the rule #Unique ;)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Been to Orlando three times and still not done Disney. It's the only one left for me now, gonna have to soon. Eurgh.
I'll take the kids eventually. I went when I was 11 and had a great time, but I've turned into a cynical old bastard these past 25 years :D

Matt N

CF Legend
Well, I've been to Orlando twice and currently, I'd rather go to Orlando for a third time than go to UAE for the first time. So another no here.
Really shows when my family and I are heading on our fourth Florida holiday in August 2018 and my parents have no desire to travel to the UAE any time soon, doesn't it?