What's new

Walibi Rhône-Alpes | Mystic | Gerstlauer Infinity

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
OK, I'm guessing a launched infinity. Or maybe it'll just be a eurofighter 320. I hope for the infinity.

It is an Infinity but no launch
During the IAAPA, the Compagnie des Alpes has bought a new roller coaster for Walibi Rhônes-Alpes, France.
After the opening of the Explorer Adventure area in 2016, and the creation of the Festival City area for 2018, Walibi Rhônes-Alpes will open a brand new roller coaster in 2019!
The park will get an Infinity Coaster from Gerstlauer. This ride will be feature several inversions and a vertical lift unique in France. In addition, we will find a little surprise at the end of this lift (certainly the same as on Schwur des Kärnan).

Also, the layout has a switch to extend the ride. Part of it is not visible on the ride’s animation video. This new ride will be equipped with several trains made of 3 cars of 4 passengers for a total of 12 passengers per train.

Opening scheduled for May 2019.

Inf1.jpg Inf2.jpg Inf3.JPG

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've just realized on the bottom photo that it has a system similar to Switchback at ZDT's, as in it has a transfer just before the station, and is a kind of shuttle coaster.

EDIT:- I was right, it does have a launch (supposedly):-

https://rcdb.com/15842.htm

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
This park seems to be gaining some good momentum.
Not sitting in the most populous of coaster areas, but putting this alongside the Gravity can probably persuade me.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The guy in the video said they will be something special at the end of the ride that hasn't been announced yet... Speculate!

Pear

Strata Poster
The special thing is the launch into the inverted spike as seen in the NL2 video

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
We haven't even seen quite the full layout, I'm pretty sure the spike isn't visible in the video. I know this is at a small park, but only 2 x 12 passenger trains? That must only be ~400pph.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Apparently the video shown on Wonder World is an excerpt from a Compagnie des Alpes internal video which was leaked.

We haven't even seen quite the full layout, I'm pretty sure the spike isn't visible in the video. I know this is at a small park, but only 2 x 12 passenger trains? That must only be ~400pph.

This would be the same as Timber's capacity. The small GG woodie also has 2 x 12 passenger trains ;)
Checking attendance figures, Walibi Rhône-Alpes had 420,000 visitors in 2016 and 465,000 this year. Haven't visited the park yet, but I remember most French TRs wrote that wait times generally weren't exceeding 30 minutes on Timber.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^In terms of riders per train, and the number of trains, then yes. But this looks to be a longer ride and on a larger scale, so that would make the capacity lower than Timber. I mean, Gerstlauer's vertical lift hills are able to carry trains comprised of 4 rows (16rpt), so they could be missing out on 1/4 of the possible capacity with 2 trains. Even with 3 trains, that would be an improvement, but the throughput would still only be ~600pph.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
^In terms of riders per train, and the number of trains, then yes. But this looks to be a longer ride and on a larger scale, so that would make the capacity lower than Timber. I mean, Gerstlauer's vertical lift hills are able to carry trains comprised of 4 rows (16rpt), so they could be missing out on 1/4 of the possible capacity with 2 trains. Even with 3 trains, that would be an improvement, but the throughput would still only be ~600pph.

Good point actually, I didn't think about that.

On the other hand, Timber's height requirement is only 110cm (3ft 6), as opposed to most Infinity's higher 130cm (4ft 3) limit. Not sure if that would make that much impact, but maybe park management also took this element into consideration.

JSM

Mega Poster
This would be the same as Timber's capacity. The small GG woodie also has 2 x 12 passenger trains ;)
Checking attendance figures, Walibi Rhône-Alpes had 420,000 visitors in 2016 and 465,000 this year. Haven't visited the park yet, but I remember most French TRs wrote that wait times generally weren't exceeding 30 minutes on Timber.

And from watching POV's of Timber it seems they have pretty good operations. They are able to run it without stacking which is pretty impressive given the second train arrives at the station after the first has already cleared the lift.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This is looking pretty good! Wonder what this prevalence of switch track coasters will do to theme park building games of the future, though. Judging by the video above, it can't be simulated well in NL2, and neither Planet Coaster nor Parkitect feature them. Must be hard to code. What will happen if they become ubiquitous, and when the next generation of enthusiasts try to recreate their home parks in a game, they can't build a single coaster?

Think of the children! ;)