What's new

Where is your local park and how often do you visit?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. With all of us being into theme parks, I’m sure most of us know where our nearest theme park is, or our “local park” so to speak. Whether you visit it often or it’s somewhere you don’t really pay much attention to, we all have one. With this in mind, I’d be really interested to know; where is your local park and how often do you visit? Do you pay a lot of attention to your home park, or is it somewhere that you largely ignore?

Personally, I live in Gloucestershire in the UK, so I’m in the no man’s land of major theme parks better known as the South West of England. As such, my answer might be a tad more complicated than for those of you who are lucky enough to have a major park close by!

My answer honestly depends on how you classify “local park”:
  • If you’re going with “the operating place closest to my home that has an RCDB file”, then the honour goes to Symonds Yat Leisure Park in Whitchurch, Herefordshire, which apparently once housed a Zamperla Powered Coaster (https://rcdb.com/6389.htm). This park is just 10 miles due north of my house as the crow flies, and I can reach it in a 15 mile, or just over 30 minute, drive. I’ve never been, and I honestly debate whether it’s still “operating” in the sense that RCDB thinks it is seeing as it’s now mostly a caravan park, although there is still a hedge maze and butterfly house around there. Incidentally, I passed near this park a lot in my driving lessons, as Whitchurch was just off the dual carriageway used by my test centre, and I even did a parallel park in a lay-by very close to it in one of my driving tests!
  • If you’re going with “the operating park closest to my home with somewhat of a selection of permanent rides”, then I’d probably give that honour to Brean Theme Park in Somerset (https://rcdb.com/4862.htm), which is 34 miles due southwest of my house as the crow flies, and I can reach it in a 52 mile, or roughly 1 hour, drive. I’ve only been to Brean once, and it took me until last year to get there. I wouldn’t call it an overly major park, and I wouldn’t say that any of the rides are the sort of thing you’d want to go to for anything other than to tick off the creds, if I’m being honest; all 3 of the credits were one-and-dones, for me, and now I’ve ticked them off, I don’t feel any desire to revisit Brean unless they build a new ride of some note.
  • If you’re going with “the semi-major operating park closest to my home”, I’d probably give the honour to Drayton Manor in Tamworth, Staffordshire (https://rcdb.com/4803.htm), which is 73 miles due northeast of my house as the crow flies, and I can reach it in a 93 mile, or roughly 1h 45m, drive. Paultons Park in Romsey, Hampshire (https://rcdb.com/4819.htm) is 5 miles closer as the crow flies, but awkward road layouts mean that it takes 116 miles, and a good 2 hours, to drive to. Drayton was actually the first park I ever visited back in 2008, but only I’ve been to Drayton on three separate occasions altogether, in 2008, 2018 and 2022 respectively. A fourth visit is planned for later this year to go and check out Gold Rush. Drayton isn’t a bad park by any means, and I do always enjoy my visits there, but it’s not somewhere I feel massively compelled to return to regularly in the absence of new major investment as it’s increasingly not overly targeted towards my demographic. The park is certainly prospering at the moment, however, and I look forward to seeing what its future holds!
It’s interesting to me that my “local” parks are not places I’ve visited all that much. Drayton is my most visited of the lot, but even that doesn’t stack up very highly in the visit count compared to other parks I’ve been to; my most visited UK park by some margin is Alton Towers, which I’ve spent 43 days in cumulatively and is not exactly local, at a good 2.5 hour, 120 mile drive away!

But I’d be really interested to know; where is your local park, and how often do you visit?

Brean or Weston.

Been to Brean one - not yet needed to go back.
Been to Weston twice - cos they got a new cred.
They're both a bit turd really.

Not really the best selection of 'local parks' this neck of the woods.

BPB pass holder since they came out, but for one year when I disagreed with the directions the park was going.

Visit once a month....maybe, massively down on its hay day when I was there every weekend but it still despite its faults represents good value and a fun day out, and while it has the three wooden coasters and the Rev, I will continue to visit.

When I'm in Montreal, it's La Ronde, which is 20 minutes by car and about 45 minutes by public transportation. I have been here two years now and have only gone twice, and both visits were this year. Great Escape is just shy of three hours and we go there more often.

When I am "home" at my home in Windsor, Cedar Point is my home park at 2 hours away, and I try to make it a point to visit at least once a season. I suppose CJ Barrymore's can be considered an amusement park now too, which is about an hour from Windsor, but I haven't been there since my 12th birthday,

Flamingo Park in Hastings is my nearest with its spinning wild mouse cred. Typical seaside fun park. Visited regularly as a kid but only ever drive past it now. Popped in once a couple years ago to get the cred.

Nearest major park is Chessington. Visited yearly as a kid, but since 2011 I have only been three times as it's not as good as it was up to the early 2000s.

Seaworld San Diego... ten minutes from my house, and as an added bonus it is like ten degrees Fahrenheit cooler than the area my house is in. I'm there once a week during the off-season. Not as often in the summer. Probably applying for a job there next summer.

Knotts and Disney are about an hour and 20 minutes away without traffic. I'm at Knotts at least once a month when not on trips.

Magic Mountain is usually about 2 hours away depending on the roulette game that is L.A. traffic. SFMM is like 3 or 4 times a year, but usually I make them marathon days during the week.