What's new

What theme park has the best 'ladder'?

Ollie

CF Legend
Saw this discussion elsewhere and thought it was interesting.

What park do you think has the best coaster collection that could take someone from having never ridden a coaster up different steps (rungs) of intensity all the way to big thrill coasters.

Somewhat biased maybe, but BPB is my shout.

It has the perfect junior coaster in Blue Flyer, not a standard steel layout but a small scale woodie, earthy enough to get you used to what's following.

Next up, Avalanche, fast thrilling and a lot of fun, followed by Steeplechase, a relatively tame coaster in a bizarre riding position.

Next up, Big Dipper and Nick Streak, two very similar woodies, packed with airtime and great layouts.

Time now to get some inversions under your belt, start with the Revolution, then Icon and progress to the Big One, before doing BPBs most thrilling, the Grand National.

You notice I missed out Infusion, as that may well but a newbie of coasters for life.

Europa-Park.

Ba-a-a-Express (obvious)
Alpenexpress Enzian (very gentle, but still more thrilling than Ba-a-a-Express)
Pegasus (next logical step, get in some height and some more interesting elements)
Matterhorn Blitz (the laterals of a wild mouse are the main argument for this to be the next step)
CanCan Coaster (Would be in this position, even if it wasn't indoor)
blue fire Megacoaster (First inversion, a bit of airtime at some points)
Silver Star (it is still a Hyper after all, and gives long floater)
Wodan (now we're getting serious)
Voltron Nevera powered by Rimac (for sure the most extreme ride at the park)

One might argue to switch SiSta with Wodan as the height can be fairly terrifying.

Not sure if I'd call this a ladder, it's more like stairs at this point.

I feel like a lot of parks kind of don't bother with the medium tier looper anymore. Klondike at Drayton Manor, while a crappy Pinfari, was a perfect stepping stone to Shockwave back in the day. Tusenfryd has a good example in Loopen as well, just a loop and a corkscrew in a very short and not that tall ride. Nowadays you basically go from family coasters to intense airtime coasters or giant loopers. Even the new examples like Mandrill Mayhem tend to be at parks where there isn't a larger, more major coaster.

I think going upside down tends to be a big hurdle for enthusiasts as they start, myself included - I can imagine it's harder to do a looping coaster when your first option is something like Helix or Taiga than Loopen or something.

I feel like a lot of parks kind of don't bother with the medium tier looper anymore. Klondike at Drayton Manor, while a crappy Pinfari, was a perfect stepping stone to Shockwave back in the day. Tusenfryd has a good example in Loopen as well, just a loop and a corkscrew in a very short and not that tall ride. Nowadays you basically go from family coasters to intense airtime coasters or giant loopers. Even the new examples like Mandrill Mayhem tend to be at parks where there isn't a larger, more major coaster.

Definitely. Although I think ZL42s can be truly awful, the intimidation level (or lack of it) is something that's missing now. Imagine something very much like it, but with rubber vests - every pier could have their own looping coaster.

As for the thread, Blackpool and Alton are well balanced. To have a good ladder you need a junior coaster, a true family coaster (like a mine train), a thrill coaster and an extreme. So many parks miss out one of them.

Honestly a good clip of Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks feel in that nice threshold of start-at-mine-train-coaster-and-ramp-up-to-hyper type of stairstepping. Hersheypark too can give you a nice round out, especially as their coasters max out in the 200 ft. range.

Inversely, Busch Gardens parks feel out of sorts - the family beemers are helpful, but you are going full throttle on thrill rides quite quick.

Walibi Belgium seems like it's got a good ladder going:

Fun Pilot -> Tiki-Waka -> Calamity Mine -> Speed Boat -> Loup-Garou -> Pulsar -> Psyké Underground -> Cobra -> Vampire -> Kondaa

Not sure what's going on with the Zerier Tivoli that's in storage since it would be a good "baby's first coaster" if it ever reopens.

Hansa Park works out well with:

Kleine Zar -> Schlange von Midgard -> Royal Scotsman -> Crazy Mine -> Nessie -> Fluch von Novgorod -> Kärnan