What's new

What are your thoughts on pre-shows on rides?

What are your thoughts on pre-shows?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Immersion is a big part of theme parks, particularly in the case of some of the bigger names like Disney and Universal, and one commonly used technique to immerse riders into the story of an attraction is the pre-show. Quite a few immersive attractions start by placing guests in front of a video (or similar) to explain the attraction's story, and sometimes, an attraction can even have multiple pre-shows. With this in mind, I'd be keen to know; what are your thoughts on pre-shows? Do you like them and think they add loads to an attraction? Or do you not like them and think they're a waste of time? Or do you think it depends on the context?

Personally, I think it depends on the context. Certain attractions really benefit from the additional plot exposition that pre-shows provide; as an example, I'd say that on Hex at Alton Towers, and many other similar madhouse rides, the pre-shows really enhance the experience. I'd also say the same for the Harry Potter rides at Universal; these pre-shows really enhance the experience and feel like a worthwhile addition.

However, I don't think pre-shows are necessarily needed in every context. For instance, I don't think big thrill coasters without much of an onus on story during the ride necessarily need pre-shows; don't get me wrong, I really like the pre-show on Wicker Man at Alton Towers, but I don't think it's necessarily needed in the context of what the ride is.

I also think that pre-shows can sometimes feel excessive or counterintuitive. Two key examples of where I'd say this was the case for me are Flight of Passage at Disney's Animal Kingdom and Fast & Furious: Supercharged at Universal Studios Florida. Flight of Passage felt like it had a very long build-up to the actual ride, with the pre-show where the guests have to randomly wiggle about in particular feeling unnecessary, in my view, and Fast & Furious felt like it had a very long pre-ride build-up prior to the ride itself that didn't really add an awful lot for me.

But what are your thoughts on pre-shows? Do you like them, do you dislike them, or does your opinion on them depend on the context?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Like I totally understand the reasoning behind it for keeping people spaced out and giving Riders the illusion that they've reached the end of the line and have now started their experience / giving the backstory.... but for me I just get impatient and want to get to the actual attraction. So I guess it depends on the ride..... and what it's setting you up for, and how long it is....annddd if it's like a dedicated room (like in most cases) or something in passing where it just gives you the idea (like VelociCoaster) Short and Sweet, like say Tron, is probably ideal for me if it's gonna be a private room.

Although I *despise* the double pre-shows (like Epcot Guardians)...or the ungodly long one at Flight of Passage .....and the offensive Antarctica Empire of the Penguin

And I guess rise of the resistance should also be noted since not only is it a double pre-show it also has its own entire pre-ride... and as long as things are flowing properly it's not that bad but if you get back up in that storm trooper of Rome to me just feels like I'm still waiting in line to get to the core ride

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
When I think about it being 'instead' of more queue line, it makes a lot of sense, and I do like ones where you go immediately from the pre-show into the air gates so there's like a reveal of the station and you're immediately going to ride.
That being said, it kind of kills re-rideability for me. Like CanobieFan said, Flight of Passage and Guardians are really terrible for that, I think I'd rather be in a cattle pen after the first or second time.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
More often than not I don't like the way they are executed.

If the pre-show is mainly just talking / setting up the story (e.g. Tower Of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Gringotts) then it'd be better to have guests just queue through the pre-show rooms.

If the pre-show has a significant "show" moment (e.g. Phantom Manor stretching room) then the batching system works better.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
I think it depends on the ride and preshow. It works well on Baron 1898 for example as it forms part of the whole experience.
It does work well on Baron 1898, but like two pre-shows on Villa Volta is just too much.

Pulsar in Walibi Belgium has two pre-shows aswell, but you can choose to look at them or just move on. I do like it that you have the choice to experience them. Or not.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I think pre-shows, with the right ride and environment, can be a fantastic addition to the overall ride experience.

It is simply context as you mention in your original post.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Fenix, Juvelen, Flucht von Novgorod, blue fire Megacoaster, Baron 1898, Schlange von Midgard, Furius Baco, Firechaser Express, etc. all good. I'll even add, although lame, Wave Breaker: The Rescue Coaster. There's also some rides with pre-show rooms that I don't mind like the Haunted Mansion's stretchy room or Tower Of Terror's Twilight Zone room and most of all Led Zeppelin's Madison Square concert rooms that led you right on out into the station and onto the coaster without missing a beat.
Most of the others, especially safety guideline pre-show rooms, I can definitely do without.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
Ones that are incorporated into the ride (Baco for example) I like.

I am less of a fan of the likes of Wickermans, however given how often I ride it it isn't a massive problem for me as I'm not the kind of person who visits the park too often, but I know it irritates some who wish to lap it all afternoon on a quiet day.

Some rides seem to lack them, Thirteen for example, while others wouldn't benefit from one being added, Dragon Khan being a good example. Guess it depends on the ride and kind of theme the park has gone for.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
As long as they're not tedious I don't mind. Batman: Gotham City Escapes is a prime example of a bad one, you're stuck in a big room and theres loads of dialogue and like no special effects. If you're gonna do a preshow, fill the room with stuff to look at.

Wickerman is probably my favourite though, its not too long and has a great progression with the special effects and audio design. It does a fantastic job of setting the mood for the ride and I don't tire of it.

I find things like ROTR and Escape from Gringott's rather annoying when there are that many. Subtly ones like Cobra's Curse and Wicker man are cool. Just sad Ghostrider's got taken out in the planning phase.