What's new

Video: Roller Coasters In the RAW!

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Hey everyone!

A couple of years ago we started to develop a DVD series called "Roller Coasters in the RAW" which was aimed at people who were just interested in the raw coaster footage we shoot. It's mostly un-edited, without any music, no commentary, etc.

Recently we have started to post more of the segments from our DVDs to our YouTube channel and I would like to share them with you in this thread!

We'll start out with one that might be a bit near and dear to many of you (since this site is based in the UK) and that's The Bullet at Flamingoland.

I took many runs on this from 1999 - 2002 and still think it's my
favorite of all the Schwarzkopf shuttle loops. Anyone know what may
have happened to this coaster after Flamingoland removed it? I have
heard rumors but nothing concrete.

Anyway, enjoy the video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snQGxK7Sa_c [/youtube]

--Robb Alvey
www.themeparkreview.com

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Weiner Looping / Bullet was last seen in Vekoma's storage yard, possibly recieved in a trade from Flamingoland or as a partial payment for one of the coasters they've bought.

Rumor has it Anton Schwarzkopf's son somehow has control of the ride and is interested in refurbishing it for future sale and has possibly shopped it around at IAAPA recently. (Or maybe it was Vekoma offering to do this, I'm not 100% sure on that bit.)

robbalvey

Roller Poster
^ That was the last rumor I've heard too. I really do hope this ride finds it's way to a park sometime soon! :--D

tks

Strata Poster
Good video! This was one of my favourite rides as a kid. Although i'm sure those accordian restraints have resulted in my short stature.

The ride pretty much tore itself apart from what I recall, and it cost quite a bit to run. Hopefully it can be improved slightly if it ever finds a new home.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^Yeah, the same source tells me that WL was engineered in an unusual way:

The drive tires are linked through a series of shafts and gears, and thus require immense amounts of torque to provide the launch forces and function properly. This ends up causing huge wear and tear on the linkages and gearing, thus requiring frequent repairs and replacement of parts.

The theoretical plan is to convert it to computer speed-controlled electric motors in a complete replacement of the launch system, but until there's a customer, there's no funding to make it happen.

:(

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
That looks awesome! (The video, and the ride) I've never seen a shuttle coaster like that before, but now I want to ride it. :p Hope it finds a new home soon.

marc

CF Legend
Brings back a lot of good memories :)

They need to open a Schwarzkopf park, this would make me very happy :)

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Ok, one more for you guys.

Here's a POV of probably the most famous "classic" coaster of all time - the Coney Island Cyclone.

Those of you who have been on the Cyclone know that it can be quite a turbulent ride! We were fortunate enough to able to mount our cameras onto this coaster for what is probably the smoothest footage I've ever seen of the Cyclone!

Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR10jC41Db8[/youtube]

--Robb

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Amazing video, especially the POV. I was involved with the filming of the new Oakwood adverts earlier this month and we were surprised how well the Megafobia footage came out as well - there's a small hole at floor level of the train in the front car, and the camera was mounted inside the train to point just through the hole, the result was stunning!

Kebab

Giga Poster
Lmao, I quite liked the look of the NYNY Coaster as well. Definately a contendor for the worlds roughest rollercoaster then I suppose?

Ben

CF Legend
^To be fair, they have done work on it since that video, including new trains, and I thought it was fine when I rode it in August!

I think Robb said it had improved at least a bit, but, I don't want to speak for him and get it wrong!

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Ben said:
^To be fair, they have done work on it since that video, including new trains, and I thought it was fine when I rode it in August!

I think Robb said it had improved at least a bit, but, I don't want to speak for him and get it wrong!
No ride on it has ever been as bad as that one we filmed (close though) and I'm glad I did ride it in August again. While it was by no means a "good" ride, it wasn't nearly as bad as it was 4 or 5 years ago.

--Robb

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Ok, here's another one...although this isn't a "RAW" video I felt it was kind of fun I'd post it anyway...

Everland - South Korea!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odKwmfFN7tA[/youtube]

Pierre

Strata Poster
Ah the bullet, thanks for positng that video Robb! I hope it comes back to European park!

I loved the sound it made, well that and the Magnum Force, better than any ****ty B&M roar.