What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

Gargamel

Roller Poster
Like some parks have a New York area, what if Universal UK had a London area full of British IP’s? I personally think that would be a clever way to fit in numerous IP’s whilst not just making the part UK-centric

Gargamel

Roller Poster
Sorry for the double post but on another note i imagine Universal UK would probably do Jurassic World instead of Jurassic Park because of recency and to diversify the park from the Florida park

StevenX

Mega Poster
Like some parks have a New York area, what if Universal UK had a London area full of British IP’s? I personally think that would be a clever way to fit in numerous IP’s whilst not just making the part UK-centric
Would that really work with London being so close?.. At least in American parks, New York might be a 15 hour drive away or something.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
Would that really work with London being so close?.. At least in American parks, New York might be a 15 hour drive away or something.
I don't think that'd be a massive issue, especially if it's near the front of the park. Look at PortAventura using a Mediterranean seaside town as its hub or Europa and Phantasialand both opening up with Germany/Berlin, with Europa also placing nearby France at the front of the park. Having a romanticised London shopping arcade and waterfront as the first area would be a nice way to set up for the more fantastical themes, while also creating a hub for rides and mini-lands based on British IP too small for a full land. (I've already written at length about this idea so I'll stop here lmao)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

The entrance area before Diagon Alley is London themed... You'd expect them to do the same in the UK.

wwpotterlondon2.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

(I'm not buying any possibility of there not being a Harry Potter area btw... There simply has to be! They want to tap into London's tourists, a big percentage of London's tourists spend a lot of time and money on Harry Potter themed attractions and landmarks already! It's a given IMO.)

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
The entrance area before Diagon Alley is London themed... You'd expect them to do the same in the UK.

View attachment 30835

View attachment 30839

(I'm not buying any possibility of there not being a Harry Potter area btw... There simply has to be! They want to tap into London's tourists, a big percentage of London's tourists spend a lot of time and money on Harry Potter themed attractions and landmarks already! It's a given IMO.)

I'd be willing to put my life savings on the fact that will be a huge Harry Potter aspect to this park. The UK is the home of Harry Potter, and they could do something incredibly special here that would bring Harry Potter fans from around the world to visit it.

I would also argue there will be a renewed interest in Harry Potter with Warner Bros relaunching it with the new TV series that's set to span an entire decade.

I wonder what the implications would be with Warner Bros and the Studio attraction down the road?

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
The idea that there wouldn't be anything potter related is simply unthinkable. It would be leaving money on the table.

Regarding the Studio Tour, I can only imagine it would be of mutual benefit. The Studio Tour is a very different experience to what Universal offers, and with two major Potter attractions sited within 45 minutes of each other a visit to either only becomes more desirable. Any smart commercial planner at Universal or Warner Brothers would be looking at some kind of dual ticket arrangement in my opinion, though that isn't necessarily how things work in the real world I guess, Disney and Universal still don't seem to get the fact that they mutually benefit each other by collectively making Orlando THE park destination after all.

spicy

Giga Poster
To echo others previously both the Wizarding World at Universal Studios Japan and the Warner Brothers Studio Tour Tokyo have opened in Japan so they have come to some kind of agreement there.

They are around 6 hours apart from each other though rather than 45 minutes. As said above I can't see it being an issue though, they both will compliment each other nicely in the UK and offer very different Potter experiences.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
As much as I like the existing Potter areas at Universal parks, I was always a tad disappointed they didn't build a larger scale Hogwarts.

Obviously a full scale Hogwarts isn't feasible. But it'd be good to have a bit more of the castle to explore.

The Great Hall is probably the most frequented location in the films – I would love to see them build it complete with the enchanted ceiling.

Graeme

Roller Poster
As much as I like the existing Potter areas at Universal parks, I was always a tad disappointed they didn't build a larger scale Hogwarts.

Obviously a full scale Hogwarts isn't feasible. But it'd be good to have a bit more of the castle to explore.

The Great Hall is probably the most frequented location in the films – I would love to see them build it complete with the enchanted ceiling.

In my opinion, that is what people really want. I enjoyed the books and am a bit indifferent to the films... my understanding is that the rides built so far, like Forbidden Journey, are focused on the scarier side of the franchise (relatively speaking). All the villains and monsters etc. But what I really loved about the books was the description of the castle itself. Sneaking around all the corridors, towers and hidden chambers. If they could make a ride that was more charming than intense, about exploring Hogwarts, I think they'd be onto a winner.

Galahad

Roller Poster
Actually I would much prefer a dark ride taking you around the Hogwarts castle instead of the forbidden journey which I found rather overrated. A completely indoor Jurassic park river adventure so it could be enjoyed even in winter would be cool. Or maybe there's a way to make some sections outdoors only in summer :D... I also very much hope in updated versions of the Mummy and Spiderman and please please please a duelling coaster! I dare to dream, a duelling velocicoaster-like combo!

dixhuit

Roller Poster
Actually I would much prefer a dark ride taking you around the Hogwarts castle instead of the forbidden journey which I found rather overrated. A completely indoor Jurassic park river adventure so it could be enjoyed even in winter would be cool. Or maybe there's a way to make some sections outdoors only in summer :D... I also very much hope in updated versions of the Mummy and Spiderman and please please please a duelling coaster! I dare to dream, a duelling velocicoaster-like combo!
Spiderman is own by Disney now and there is already a ride in Disneyland Paris.