What's new

Toshimaen (Tokyo) to close ; replaced by Harry Potter Studio Tour

davidm

Strata Poster
In what is possibly the most bizarre news for a little while ; saw this on the ECC facebook this morning ; Toshimaen in Tokyo to close (ahhh RIP) :(

....but then the article is all "to be replaced by a Harry Potter theme park" WTF?

Toshimaen, a 90-year-old amusement park in Tokyo, will be closed step by step, and a park in Tokyo and a theme park for Harry Potter, a world-famous novel and movie site, will be built on the site of the park. Interviews with stakeholders revealed that negotiations were underway.

Run this thru Google translate for the deets ;

(* possibly more "studio-tour" than Wizarding-World - but still quite random, I mean its not even in the best location.)

EDIT : another article here ; https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Harry-Potter-theme-park-set-to-open-in-Tokyo-in-2023

EDIT2 : blooloop running with the story now too ; https://blooloop.com/news/harry-potter-theme-park-tokyo/
(how much of that is just rehashed speculation though)

Last edited:

emoo

Hyper Poster
I wonder if they will give it the Space World treatment and keep it going in its current state, whatever that may be, for the rest of the year.

Hadn't heard of this place before and doesn't appear to justify an impromptu visit but hopefully parts (*creds*cough*) will remain for a bit longer.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
While the coasters aren't spectacular.

If the park does close the biggest loss will really be one of the flat rides. The park is home to what I think is the oldest carousel in the world. The El Dorado Carousel which was built in 1907 in Germany before being sent to Coney Island New York in 1910. It operated there until some time in the late 60s before being shipped to Toshimaen where it still operates now.

It's a gorgeous piece of irreplaceable history and I'd hate to see it lost to more nonsense about some fictional child wizard.

Matt N

CF Legend
It's always sad to lose a park, especially one that has so much history like Toshimaen apparently does! However, the part that intrigues me most is the mention of Harry Potter as its replacement; I must admit I would be a little surprised if it turns out to be a theme park, as I'm not sure Universal would approve the construction of a Harry Potter theme park so close to their Wizarding World in Universal Studios Japan!

cocoa

Mega Poster
^I was under the impression that it was going to be more like a studio experience, like the one in London- but I'm not sure where I heard that from.

I also didn't love toshimaen, although I was happy it existed. the one togo coaster was pretty fun all things considered but dang it was ugly and empty. yomiuriland really emerged victorious as the better tokyo park (thats not disney) in my head

YAY, BYE GIRL BYE.

Seriously, it was a ****hole and they kicked us out for tattoos meaning we wasted the commute and had to come back covered up another day.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I always forget this place even exists. I'm surprised it's lasted this long to be honest.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
Not sure why ; but this story has popped up on the internet again the last couple of days, so much so that the BBC is even running with it.

Don't think that it says anything more than "we" already knew though.

_114013404_4b9e5a53-5dff-4dce-b877-3b72a2e2df7e.jpg

Matt N

CF Legend
Am I correct in assuming that this is an exact replica of (or at least very similar to) the Warner Bros Studio Tour in Leavesden? Not saying that’s a bad thing, as I visited the Leavesden one in 2017 and loved it, but it seems a little odd, as I thought a lot of the appeal around the Leavesden tour was to do with the fact that you were seeing the real film sets, and that Leavesden was the only place you could see these film sets?

Having replicas elsewhere seems to go against the whole idea of the concept to me, but I’m sure it will be very successful, as Harry Potter seems pretty popular in Japan; maybe I’m missing a piece of the puzzle here?

emoo

Hyper Poster
Replica may be the wrong word but I'm sure everyone's expecting the same sort of thing and experience.

Watford and Tokyo are at least have a sizeable distance between them.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Not sure why ; but this story has popped up on the internet again the last couple of days
Because ITOCHU put out a press release!

Significantly, the full press release mentions Fantastic Beasts and I don't think those sets are currently on display in London. Be interesting to see if they bother to make a third FB film for when this attraction opens.