What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Perhaps I can give a bit more detail on my top 10:

1 Phoenix - I've only ever had one visit to Knobels and we only got in two rides on Phoenix that day - the first was back row (which was good but only just above average). The second, front row, had an incredible amount of airtime. I didn't sit down for the whole ride and nothing has yet to top that for me yet. It's the right amount of 'rough' and pure, traditional wooden bliss.

2 Helix - maybe none of the elements are the best in the world by themselves but together, they form the most 'complete' ride experience. It goes on and on and the pacing is perfect with no dead spots so that it builds and builds with each launch. The airtime hill after the inverted tophat is my favourite part to the ride and I also love the little drop out of the station, the amazing view, the gorgeous little terrain s-bends and the final slow, beautifully-crafted finish, framed by the big wheel. Fab!

3 Shambhala - Tough choice between this and Nitro but I've ridden Shambles many more times and ridden it more recently so it's going here. It's a great mix of ejector and floater and is just so gloriously smooth and rerideable. Plus, the things it's done to that skyline. Oh my!

4 Nitro - slightly more ejector than Shambles. I had some insane rides on this back on the US Live. I love airtime. Buckets of it, that's my thing, and Nitro did not disappoint.

5 Skyrush - Don't think there's any other ride out there that makes me genuinely believe it's trying to kill me. I love the ridiculous wild feeling to it as it tries to snap your spine sideways. And the drop is obscene. Not as high in my count as the pure airtime machines though, and the restraints are (were) disgusting.

6 Nemesis - It took a long time for me to pluck up the courage to move Nemmy down from the top spot. Maybe as I get older, I'm moving even more towards airtime than forces, IDK. At night, in October during the rain, it's still probably number 1 or 2, but this is a more suitable position for a normal ride. The zero g is perfect and, like Helix and Troy, I love the way it builds up over the course of the ride. The roar and the close terrain layout will always make this hard to beat.

7 Black Mamba - So, so similar to Nemesis. If anything, I even prefer some of the first half, but the final s-bends (while thematically great), lose a little pace. Also, Nemesis' monster theme is better than a snake.

8 Balder - A very variable one for me. The first time I rode it, I adored the airtime, but I hadn't been on many world class woodies back then. Next visit, it seemed a bit tame. I understood the 'clinical' term it had been tagged with. But on our recent visit, I got in a couple of really, really good rides towards the end of the day, where the airtime through the tunnels was huge. Really pushed it back up the rankings.

9 Troy - TROY! Such a great, fun ride. Intense but not rough - the Nemesis of wooden coasters, it builds up speed all the way round. No pauses, just relentless fun. Best rides have still been on a cold rainy February.

10 Tonnere de Zeus - Back to airtime again. More natural air than Balder but not quite as much. I've been on it so many times over the last few years and not once had a bad ride. Always come off smiling.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ You need to ride Troy at Halloween in the dark sometime. At night around 10 pm it's SO much faster and more intense, that it is really tame during the day in comparison. It's a whole different beast. During Halloween the music, lighting and added smoke/fire effects make it such an amazing experience. Those rides I had on Troy that evening would make it a top 3 coaster for me, easily. Sadly all the other rides I've had were comparatively underwhelming.

Also, I feel the same about Balder. It seems to be running so much better this season. I actually loved it this time around with plenty of airtime all over the coaster, while the previous two years I've found it lacking in serious airtime and just boring. Hopefully it will continue to run so well and if it does it will get higher in my rankings for sure (though never top 10).

tomahawk

Strata Poster
*ahem*

1. Maverick
2. Twisted Colossus
3. X2
4. Texas Giant
5. Voyage
6. Beast
7. Prowler
8. Tatsu
9. Diamondback
10. Afterburn

Twisted Colossus was **** fantastic, definitely better in the front. The problem with it though, is the second lift hill. It truly kills any pace it has, but it is unrelenting from drop to breaks
The pause is almost welcome, but it's too long, which was my initial fear when it was announced.

However the outward high five and stall were the craziest elements I've ever done, and every coaster needs a stall. Such a ridiculous feeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mouse

Giga Poster
Glad to see Zeus in your top 10 Sue, such a good ride yet somewhat underrated! I hear lots about it being quite temperamental, but like you I've ridden it multiple times and not had a bad ride.

Snoo

The Legend
tomahawk said:
*ahem*

1. Maverick
2. Twisted Colossus
3. X2
4. Texas Giant
5. Voyage
6. Beast
7. Prowler
8. Tatsu
9. Diamondback
10. Afterburn

Twisted Colossus was **** fantastic, definitely better in the front. The problem with it though, is the second lift hill. It truly kills any pace it has, but it is unrelenting from drop to breaks
The pause is almost welcome, but it's too long, which was my initial fear when it was announced.

However the outward high five and stall were the craziest elements I've ever done, and every coaster needs a stall. Such a ridiculous feeling.

TC is that good.. imagine what's going to happen when you get some GOOD RMC's under your belt. :D

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Snoo said:
tomahawk said:
*ahem*

1. Maverick
2. Twisted Colossus
3. X2
4. Texas Giant
5. Voyage
6. Beast
7. Prowler
8. Tatsu
9. Diamondback
10. Afterburn

TC is that good.. imagine what's going to happen when you get some GOOD RMC's under your belt. :D
Well my top ten will be all RMC plus Maverick.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
1. Space Mountain
Zx6kNwb.gif

2. Nemesis
7T9yS9T.gif

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
Perhaps I can give a bit more detail on my top 10:

4 Nitro - slightly more ejector than Shambles. I had some insane rides on this back on the US Live. I love airtime. Buckets of it, that's my thing, and Nitro did not disappoint.

I don't want to hate on opinions, but... Nitro and ejector do not go together. I've been on Nitro multiple times on multiple days and I haven't noticed a single moment of actual ejector. It's all floater, which isn't my preference. Great ride for sure, but in no way wowing for me

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Thanks for all the comments.

Thom - yes! I really, really need to get on Troy at night. Don't suppose the park will be open late enough this week sadly, but I'd happily return to try that. Funnily enough, the few other people who rank Troy as highly seem to also have had rides in really cold temperatures. Maybe a coincidence but it was definitely not as fun when I rode it in the summer sunshine. My favourite rides on it have actually been in the snow :)

This time last year, Balder was nowhere near my top ten but after the couple of great rides we had on it this season, I can't help but bump it up the rankings.

mouse - I'm one of very few people who rate Zeus as highly. I don't think it's as much temperamental as it's just a marmite coaster. I've been on it without my bum on the seat the whole time, got off and the people behind me said they thought it was boring. It think you either love it or hate it. I like the way the ride intensifies and it's just the right roughness for me. Years ago it used to be a very, very highly rated coaster but it seems to have lost something with age. Maybe I have quite a high tolerance (and enjoyment) of woodie roughness and see through what most people now dislike?

TMCoasters - I've only done Nitro as part of the Live like 4 years ago. We went on during the rain and it was absolutely flying. There was some serious air in the front that evening but maybe that's not the usual idk? It was also last thing after a really, really good day at the park and everyone came off raving about those last few rides.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I always find making top 10s extremely difficult, especially not biasing the ranking to more recently-ridden coasters, but either way, here's my best attempt at my top 10 (well 20):

1: Shambhala - Absolutely adore this thing! The drop is majestic, the airtime absolutely spot on, the sensation of speed fantastic, plus it carries its speed very well throughout its well varied layout. I also love the openness of the trains and the lap bars!

2: El Toro - This is a bit of a controversial one, but I think Shammy just edges it in a few departments. To avoid the haters, I think I probably need to justify myself:

- The ejector airtime is incredible, especially on the drop and 'that hill', but I think it just about comes down to my preference for floater really. Generally, I'd take ejector over floater, but when the floater is as perfect as it is on Shambahala with all the butterflies coming out, El Toro falls slightly short.
- Greater restraint freedom on Shambhala
- El Toro is a much more tempremental, less reliable ride. By this I mean it takes a while to warm up and start hauling, whereas Shambhala is on the money from the start. Equally, the wheel seats are slightly rougher and El Toro isn't quite as good in every seat, whereas whilst each seat on Shammy had its pros and cons, the ride was orgasmic everywhere.
- Call me crazy, but I think El Toro does have a few duller spots in its layout, notably from the second big hill to the ejector hill and the run up to the brakes. There are one or two respites on Shambhala, but generally you get more per unit track.

3: Katun - Simply the most forceful ride I've ever been on. Love the intensity, the insane positive Gs with the airtime-filled drop and tunnel other highlights for me. I also adore the 'flying' feeling on B&M inverts.

4: Nemesis - Another B&M invert. I think we're all decided about why this one's so good! Just doesn't quite have the raw pace and intensity of Katun, but still has some brilliant moments and beautiful theming.

5: Nitro - Just not as good as Shambhala. Period. It absolutely flies through the second half of the layout (I almost greyed out on the helix tbh) and there is genuine ejector on the last few hills, but the first half is just so...uninspired and dull? Maybe it wasn't quite up to speed and granted, I did ride it closer to the middle each time (but to beat Shammy, it would have to be better in every seat). But whilst the drop was good, it was also quite weak, as were the rest of the larger airtime hills and the turnaround. A lot of wasted track - for example, after the drop, that weird turn contributes absolutely nothing to layout. Maybe it was because of the older, shorter seating arrangement?

6: Dragon Khan - Perfect example of an old-school sit-down with a tonne of force, a brilliant drop and a long and varied layout.

7: Montu - Excellent B&M invert, with a unique element in the batwing, an awesome immelman and a lovely set of elements in the troughs(?) at the end.

8: Kraken - It's a real toss up between this and Kumba, but I seem to remember enjoying this one a bit more, as I think I prefer the layout after the MCBR - great loop, tunnel and corkscrew.

9: Kumba - Bonus marks for the tunnel and speed turn, but just a tad smaller and less forceful than its counterparts.

10: Ispeed - Fantastic launch and very intense, but the layout was just a bit too fancy for me? It just seemed like it tired to do a bit too much? A few more classical airtime hills would have really improved it. Overrated.

11: HRRR - Used to be my favourite coaster (as you can see in my sig and avatar...). There's a lot of hate for this ride, but when I rode it, it was smooth, long, had a great drop and good forces. Very enjoyable.

12: Swarm - Not a world beater, but carries its speed very well. It's not particularly forceful, but I think it's probably the most well-rounded coaster at Thorpe.

13: Inferno - Think I just prefer it to the Batman clone I've done, as it seems a bit smoother, has some more unorthodox elements (like the pre-lift) and the area it interacts with is lovely.

14: Kingda Ka - Really not sure where to put this one. Crazily intense, with fantastic speed (obviously) and decent airtime. It was all a bit of a blur, but it was just a bit uncomfortable with borderline roughness and poor acceleration. Not a very well-rounded coaster, but it has a hell of a lot of height and speed going for it.

15: Stealth - Best acceleration on any coaster I've been on. If it had a longer layout like Xcelerator after the hill, it would definitely be in my top 10!

16: Hulk - Good, but not nearly as good as the other two sit-downs I've ridden. Launch was weak and there was some borderline roughness (obviously not anymore...), but otherwise good forces and speed and has fantastic atmosphere!

17: The Smiler - Underrated in my opinion. Not stellar, but not too rough either, with some good forces and airtime. The way it self-duels makes it visually stunning.

18: Oblivion - One trick pony, but boy does it do the trick well! Ends on a real high, unlike Sheikra, which just poodles along at the end.

19: Batman - Really liked it, but there was borderline roughness, and it wasn't quite as intense as its reputation made it out to be! Didn't really get the flying sensation for some reason.

20: Manta - The drop and skim over the water are good, but the ride is really made by that incredible Pretzel loop. Unfortunately, the rest of the layout is really tedious and uninteresting.

TilenB

Strata Poster
TilenB said:
Bit of an update after Catalonia:

1. X2, SFMM
2. Shambhala, PortAventura
3. Goliath, WH
4. Katun, Mirabilandia
5. Nemesis, AT
6. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
7. iSpeed, Mirabilandia
8. Tatsu, SFMM
9. blue fire Megacoaster, EP
10. Troy, Toverland

11. Joris, Efteling
12. Karacho, Tripsdrill
13. Kumba, BGT
14. Giant Dipper, SCBB
15. Goliath, SFMM
16. Air, AT
17. Wild Mouse, PBB
18. Saw, TP
19. Baron 1898, Efteling
20. G'sengte Sau, Tripsdrill
21. Raptor, Gardaland
22. The Swarm, TP
23. Van Helsing, MPG
24. Muntanya Russa, Tibidabo
25. DiVertical, Mirabilandia
26. Apocalypse, SFMM
27. Revolution, PBB
28. Dwervelwind, Toverland
29. Winjas, Phantasialand
30. Silver Star, EP
31. Stealth, TP
32. Olympia Looping, Oktoberfest
33. Dragon Khan, PortAventura
34. Familieachtbaan, BillyBird
35. Smiler, Alton Towers

A full top30 update after the most recent trips:
1. Taron, Phantasialand
2. X2, SFMM
3. Shambhala, PortAventura
4. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
5. Goliath, WH
6. Katun, Mirabilandia
7. Nemesis, AT
8. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
9. iSpeed, Mirabilandia
10. Tatsu, SFMM
11. Troy, Toverland
12. Joris, Efteling
13. Karacho, Tripsdrill
14. Kumba, BGT
15. Giant Dipper, SCBB
16. Silver Star, Europa Park
17. Goliath, SFMM
18. blue fire Megacoaster, Europa Park
19. Air, AT
20. Wodan, Europa Park
21. Wild Mouse, PBB
22. Pulsar, Walibi Belgium
23. Saw, TP
24. Baron 1898, Efteling
25. Raptor, Gardaland
26. The Swarm, TP
27. Anubis, Plopsaland de Panne
28. Van Helsing, MPG
29. Muntanya Russa, Tibidabo
30. DiVertical, Mirabilandia

Note that the ones in bold are new and the ones in italics have been bumped up/down after the most recent reride.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ I'm sure there will be one or two cf-ers who would share our opinion after this weekend. ;)
It's a really great coaster, the first in a long time that had me wow-ed after riding it. Loved it!

Ben

CF Legend
I have a feeling this topic will get updated a lot now...

1. Skyrush
2. Taron
3. Eejanaika
4. Helix
5. Boulder Dash
6. Mountain Flyer
7. X2
8. Wildfire, Kolmarden
9. Outlaw Run
10. Balder
11. Iron Rattler
12. Goliath (SFoG)
13. Wicked Cyclone
14. Boardwalk Bullet
15. Shambhala
16. Voyage
17. Bizarro
18. Fury 325
19. OzIris
20. Intimidator
21. Leviathan
22. Colossos
23. Fireball
24. Extreme Rusher
25. Behemoth

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 Skyrush
2 El Toro
3 Taron
4 Helix
5 Wildfire
6 Wicked Cyclone
7 Boulder Dash
8 Phoenix
9 Expedition GeForce
10 Nitro

11 Colossos
12 Maverick
13 Bizarro/Superman
14 Piraten
15 Storm Runner
16 Wooden Warrior
17 Millennium Force
18 Silver Star
19 Kumba
20 Montu

It's obscene.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Obligatory post-Ghosterforce edition. New this trip in bold, new this year with a *.

1. Kärnan - Hansa Park*
2. Taron - Phantasialand*
3. Helix - Liseberg*
4. Wildfire - Kolmården*
5. Fluch von Novgorod - Hansa Park*
6. OzIris - Parc Astérix*
7. Sky Scream - Holiday Park*
8. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa
9. Lost Gravity - Walibi Holland*
10. Black Mamba - Phantasialand*

11. Thunderbird - Power Park
12. Stealth - Thorpe Park
13. Troy - Toverland*
14. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park*
15. Cú Chulainn - Tayto Park
16. The Ultimate - Lightwater Valley
17. Balder - Liseberg*
18. Tonnère de Zeus - Parc Astérix*
19. Rita - Alton Towers
20. Nemesis - Alton Towers

Smithy

Strata Poster
Can anyone in here or in the GF topic share what's so good about Taron? It looks from POV's to not really do much (for me) bar some quick transitions and fast turns, obviously I'm aware that's just a POV but if the ride experience is so immense that you lot have rated it top five then it likely means the BPB coaster will have similar qualities, at least in the second half.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^Haven't written a top 10 yet but its the speed and airtime that make this coaster my number 1. I was literally flying on some of the hills, especially the twisty s-bend hill after the second launch.