What's new

Thunderhawk [Complete] Vid. and DL. on page 2!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This is the last of those unfinished projects I'm doing. The track is complete, and I finished about a third of the supports today. Thunderhawk is one of the more interesting rides because I'm recreating this after a K'nex model. The final turn had to be altered due to forces on the NL track though. Here's a screenshot and a photo:

Thunderhawk-090430204509000.jpg

16-Overbanks.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Constructive? No. I don't think so.

I agree the top hat needs to be reshaped a little, but unlike Xpress' completely useless post I will explain what I think is wrong.

It's nothing difficult, I just think it looks too wide at the top. Bring the entrance and exit a bit closer together and make the top a little bit more arched. Have a looks at this picture of Stealth:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3081.htm?picture=40

So there, that's how to post in this topic Xpress. ;)

Xpress

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
^Constructive? No. I don't think so.

I agree the top hat needs to be reshaped a little, but unlike Xpress' completely useless post I will explain what I think is wrong.

It's nothing difficult, I just think it looks too wide at the top. Bring the entrance and exit a bit closer together and make the top a little bit more arched. Have a looks at this picture of Stealth:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3081.htm?picture=40

So there, that's how to post in this topic Xpress. ;)

I left a comment. Whether it was constructive or not is debatable.

As for a constructive post:

intaminth.png

See, the tophat is parabolic at the top, giving perfect forces. That one took me a few days of tweaking to get right, so it may take a while. Also, the heartlines- look :) This one in particular I've tweaked to get as little lateral forces as possible.

A

Anonymous

Then again, compare his top hat with the one on Skycar: http://rcdb.com/m/ig3466.htm?picture=5
which isn't parabolic at the top, then they are similar. So a top hat don't have to be parabolic on the top. It all depends on what kind of ride you want.

The top hat on Kanonen is very round as well.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Yes, because I really believe that Xpress sat there for hours drawing a perfectly mathematical parabola in NL, sized exactly to perfect weightlessness...

I did a little bit of tweaking, mainly making the focus closer to the apex, but I think I have something good enough. Take a look:

Thunderhawk-090501165718000.jpg

I also supported the second of the three overbanked turns:

Thunderhawk-090501165813001.jpg

Here's a photo of the model:

14-Second_Overbank_2.jpg

I could post a picture of the model's tophat and you would see that it's more round on top.

Xpress

Strata Poster
loefet said:
Then again, compare his top hat with the one on Skycar: http://rcdb.com/m/ig3466.htm?picture=5
which isn't parabolic at the top, then they are similar. So a top hat don't have to be parabolic on the top. It all depends on what kind of ride you want.

The top hat on Kanonen is very round as well.

Yes, but compare the speeds of those with something like iSpeed, or Storm Runner, and you'll see that a parabolic-ish tophat would be necessary to keep the forces safe for riders.

In any matter, the tophat rollerdude has made still looks like that of Xcelerator or Skycar :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I've been messing around with the third overbanked turn and I think I'm close to getting it good enough to be supported, but I want your guys' feedback first. I only have a bit more smoothing to fix. Here's a screenshot:

Thunderhawk-090502143949000.jpg

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The sound of crickets...Lovely.

Anyway, I finished the supports today. I think I got the track smoothed out for the most part. There are some sections in the last overbank and helix where there is a small lateral spike at a node, but I can't seem to get these fixed. If it's ran at 100% speed, it isn't as noticeable though. Anyways, anything I should fix before I finish this?

Thunderhawk-090506174646000.jpg

Ollie

CF Legend
This looks like a great little coaster. I like the way you're doing shots to show how it's the same as the K'nex one. :)
Can't wait to download this when it's finished to see how it's turned out.

Pierre

Strata Poster
LOL do you still have the K'Nex model constructed or did you take photos of the model then dismantle it? I can't imagine it being convenient thats all..

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Xpress; Your suggestions are marvelous.

Dave; Does landscaping count?

Ollie; Thanks. I hope you like the final track. It still has it's issues, but they're minute and I'm not advanced enough to remove them.

Pierre; This actually isn't my K'nex coaster. It's a friend of mine and I asked him if I could and he said yes. Pretty much all the options(colors, etc) are his ideas. I only customized the scenery. But he did take it down almost as soon as it was finished because it was in the way so much. He spent almost two years working on it.

I finished the coaster today. I just need to make a video and upload the track file, which should be done tomorrow. Here's another screenshot:

Thunderhawk-090507162340000.jpg

Brookes

Giga Poster
A pretty neat ride.

Good points:

Fun layout
Mostly quite smooth
Good scenery and setting
Nice supports
Good pacing

Bad points:

High g spikes