What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Oh really, fair enough. I thought the dark line above the mounts in the image was the trim fin.

It was just genuinely slow in the outerbank then 😂
There’s still the ‘splashdown’ trims which slow it down after the dive loop… No idea if they’re active yet or not.

Can’t wait to see the lift hill at full speed, I wonder if that will also make a big difference.

emoo

Hyper Poster
This is what happens when you have so many observing the first test. Assessing what it means based on the individuals understanding from watching other projects from afar. Thorpe did well getting these answers out there so quickly. We have a better insight on what they planned and wanted to see on this particular test scenario.

Its also an amazing happy time to see the response and keenness to the first train going round, could be onto a winner here if anyone hadn't noticed. They just have to stick the landing.

Last edited:

Ollie

CF Legend
Been out the loop (pun intended) with coaster stuff for years so probably about to ask a dumb question.
Why didn't Hyperia have any envelope reach testing is it something that's just decided by individual manufacturers/parks? I know Hyperia is mostly out in the open but there is a couple of near misses with supports.
Regardless of reach, don't they usually use the slow pull-through of the train round the train also allow them to analyze the wheels etc going through the track closer?

Been out the loop (pun intended) with coaster stuff for years so probably about to ask a dumb question.
Why didn't Hyperia have any envelope reach testing is it something that's just decided by individual manufacturers/parks? I know Hyperia is mostly out in the open but there is a couple of near misses with supports.
Regardless of reach, don't they usually use the slow pull-through of the train round the train also allow them to analyze the wheels etc going through the track closer?
1000005639.png
This was recently addressed on the Passholder group.

spicy

Giga Poster
Be interesting to know what the "other methods" were.

In regards to the reach, has the computer technology now advanced to a point where they can accurately place the supports and track knowing when it is physically built the tolerance will be minimal therefore a physical pull through is no longer necessary?

This could also be why there is no need to watch the wheels going through the track at close inspection as the tolerance from software design to physical coaster is now so minimal, no need to closely inspect it?

No idea but that is my guess, would love to know the alternative methods now used.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Pull throughs are generally reserved for rides that have a lot of theming added by a separate company. Hyperia doesn’t have any theming at all (or trees), so there’s only the manufacturers own designs at play here when it comes to reach tests, which can be adequately done on CAD. It’s quite easy to design a support system that’s well clear of tolerances these days.

Obviously there are companies like Intamin that have managed to mess this up (see Millenium Force’s Overbanked turn), but that was 25 years ago and CAD has significantly advanced.

Will

Strata Poster
Good to see it's speeding up a bit - the first video made the hangtime look a little excessive.

We'd be daft to think we're looking at anything world beating - but this is nevertheless a very positive direction for Thorpe. It'll be one of the country's best, but as frequently bemoaned, that's fairly hollow praise.

I also have to confess - I dislike that pseudo-RMC weird banking on the first turnaround. Visuals over rider comfort.