What's new

Theme Park Ideas

MiniGolfer

Roller Poster
I don't think I've seen a post for this (please correct me if I'm wrong and send a link pls thanks!). But if you can create your own theme park, what would it be like? What would be the theme and what do you think could be a good ride to invent?

I haven't seen this thread before, and what a fab idea!

I'd get one B&M hyper, because they're expensive but amazing, I'd make it 326ft so it's the tallest lift hill in the world, it can do cool **** with airtime. I might chuck in an invert but I can't afford anymore.

Couple dark rides and water rides,

But the signature attraction(s) would be 40 big apples just next to each other because +40, but I would only open one on any given day so all you cred whores would have to visit 40 times to get them all ;) I'd charge £10 entrance.

Who likes my plan and wants to make it reality? I'm going to post inspirational stuff about how well I'm doing with this to make my dreams a reality ;)

yq76xKA.gif

I'd probably build a hyper and call it Goliath, because everyone does, then build an rmc called David.

Just so on the CF Coaster Comp there would be a chance of David vs Goliath.

I've had this conversation with Ben and Darren and the actual answer is secret because it'll blatantly happen one day.

Jordanovichy said:

I'd get one B&M hyper, because they're expensive but amazing, I'd make it 326ft so it's the tallest lift hill in the world, it can do cool **** with airtime. I might chuck in an invert but I can't afford anymore.

But the signature attraction(s) would be 40 big apples just next to each other because +40, but I would only open one on any given day so all you cred whores would have to visit 40 times to get them all ;) I'd charge £10 entrance.

Who likes my plan and wants to make it reality? I'm going to post inspirational stuff about how well I'm doing with this to make my dreams a reality ;)

Ah haha, this seems like a firm business idea! Show me where to invest! Maybe we could come up with some sort of scheme where you're at the top and people below you give you money. A bit like say, a pyramid?

But yeah, Darren and I have a top secret business plan to implement regarding this. All I can say is B&M Hyper, RMC and Skyrush clone.

How much money can I spend?

B&M 400ft Hyper like I described in that perfect coaster thread, and I make them do EJECTOR air!
A few prefab and RMC woodies, maybe new-style GCI or GG, though I haven't ridden the new stuff and can't speak to smoothness
B&M invert with unusual elements (maybe an inverted top hat)
B&M floorless (or sit-down)
B&M Wing, preferable with 4D seats (I have ideas, and I guess this is my invention)
RMC Hybrid, or are they at their best when they work with wood?
Twisty hyper like Skyrush, and keep the crazy air
What is Maverick considered? Rocket coaster?
PolerCoaster, and I'll hit that 500ft mark!

I'd set up the park like Islands of Adventure, which definitely has a cool idea. I liked having islands with different themes, and having bridges separating them makes the park flow better than having the Old West right next to an Indian jungle.

Like IOA, I'd have some good supporting rides like their Toon Lagoon water rides and that SpiderMan simulator. But let's be real...my interest is the coasters.

Anyway, this is what I tried to do in RCT3 when I figured out how to get unlimited money.

^Maverick is considered a Blitz Coaster. A Rocket Coaster is what Dragster, Ka, and Stealth are.

In my utopian theme park, I'd have:
-Gravity Group/M&V Custom Woodie the size of those Jungle Trailblazers
-Mack or Gerst. Infinity launch
-Custom E&F Miller Kiddie Cred
-Custom Intamin SkyRush-type thing
-Terrain B&M Wing with a construction/industrial theme.
-S&S Screamin' Swing
-HUSS Troika(if one is available)
-Enterprise
-Semi-Enclosed Tea Cups
-Star Flyer
-Heavily themed Dark Ride with multiple endings(ala Horizons)
-Log Flume
-Chair swing
-Indoor Theater(with weekly or monthly sketch comedy/improv shows)
-S&S Combo tower
-Pirate ship over water
-Continuing from the last point, I'd like an area themed to a Colonial New England waterfront, having restaurants serving sea food and other American meals. Rides include the pirate ship stated above, an interactive dark ride themed to the American Revolution(a dueling Dark Ride?), and boat tours
-Steampunk area including the Mack or Gerst. Infinity Launch, a Steampunk-themed Food Loop(with decent food), and a few family rides

There's a lot more I can do, but that's all I can think of for now.

Not really an idea for my own theme park, but a pipe dream of mine is a park building duelling B&M wingriders. Could look stunning, and have potential with near misses and whatnot.

Can't see it every happening, but yeah, that.

I would start with a Katun clone as the main cred. Then another custom B&M Invert with a bat wing. I'd also have a S&S launch coaster, a go gator that is only open on Mondays, a big apple, a B&M hyper and finally a Maurer Sohne spinning coaster.

Throw in a couple of dark rides and log flume. I'd have an S&S Sky Swat, Screaming Swing and a drop tower with multiple seating options.

My park would be light on theming so I would call it The Mild Frontier.

I need a Disney villain land which includes multiple large scale roller coasters (i.e. Mack/RMC). Rides could be themed in a similar vein to Mystery castle Tour that was at Tokyo. Also an updated version of Snow White's Scary Adventures <3

Some sort of well integrated botanical garden-large scale theme park hybrid similar to Alton Towers and Gilroy gardens would be amazing.

One thing I'd really like to see is a Phantasialand style park without Phantasialand's faults - restricted space, poor layout, ya know that kind of stuff.

It's a rare style of park, one where there are no external IPs, one where there is both high end theming and thrill rides, one where the rides are meant to be rides that are decorated, and not meant to convince us they are something more. I just would love to see more parks like that.

I'd love to put a lot of the stuff I moan about parks for doing wrong to the test - could they be overcome simply by awareness of them? Can all the coasters be designed purposefully to have great, world class layouts? Can the queues be designed to not suck and keep people happier, calmer and fuel a great day? Can merchandise sales be increased by tailoring the exit of an attraction? Can staff consistently not **** suck? Ya know, I doubt it's that simple. But these are challenges I'd like to incorporate should I ever have the opportunity to work on such a mammoth project.

I'd argue that the tight space and (potentially) confusing layout are a huge part of what makes Phantasialand great, and aren't faults at all.

Basically, Phantasialand is what all parks should aspire to be.

Yeah, I agree with nealbie. With no obstacles, how can you find ways to be creative? ;)

Ideally, though, you'd want as much usable land as possible. But if you have obstacles and barriers, you have to find ways to work around those, and most of the time, people love these creative spots.

Yeah, I agree, 100%... Which is exactly why I would like to try it.

I wrote an article recently (plug plug plug!) about why Phantasialand being the maze it is is a good thing, but faults are still faults, regardless the nice flip side. Phantasialand isn't accessibility friendly, and that is a problem. Can you make an environment that impressively immersive without compromising on acessibility? Probably not, but I think operational smoothness is more important than what Phantasialand does right. Not massively more important where you need one which foregoes the other, but slightly more important to where if I was in charge of the design, I wouldn't want streets quite as narrow, or stairs, everywhere.

As for, how can one be creative without obstacle... Obstacles can help creativity, for sure. Solving problems creatively is how we got Nemesis. But what is Phantasialand's obstacle? Space? All they're doing to solve that issue is removing old rides, they're not taking the Blackpool approach because that wouldn't be right for that park. In fact, Phantasialand box each ride or area in with tall theming, actually limiting their working space further, but what that creates is an illusion not of space, but of lots to explore. You can be creative without obstacles, you can do whatever you want without obstacles.

If you're sacrificing say... Wheelchair accessibility, for a totally immersive environment, there's a problem.

Or if for example like Legoland, if you're sacrificing throughout for gimmicky interactivity, there's a problem.

But if you're Cedar Point and have practically no obstacle, yet choose to build boring rubbish, perhaps in the name of operational perfection, without opening your eyes to all the things you could do to make that boring thing that little bit less boring, there's also a problem!

Operations > everything else, but everything else still matters, however the industry is mostly black and white. That's why Disney are, when all is said and done, the industry leaders. That's why they said no to a Potter unless the space could be reimagined to operational perfection. They didn't want to deal with a space not operationally sound to cope with the volumes of people it undoubtedly would.

Hmmmmm, I'd like to say here that we both know that that's just not true, but I feel that you genuinely believe Phantasialand to be akin to the final scene in David Bowie's Labyrinth.

You can access pretty much anywhere in Phantasialand with a wheelchair (even Black Mamba, only then to find out you probably aren't allowed to ride because standard Invert evacuation procedures). Yes, it blocks you of some shortcuts because of stairs, but you can get across the park in its entirety using hills and ramps accessing all but one of the restaurants (if memory serves). In fact, the map I have at home from 2015 even highlights all of the stairs on site in bright red so that you can plan your route in advance without getting to any frustrating staircases blocking you from the next land.

The design of the park is so ingenious that they've even considered wheelchair access to all of its lands and attractions. To even have something like that taken into consideration whilst creating a faux maze is yet another example of how fab a place is. They even offer wheelchair hire.

I also disagree with "a fault is a fault" too. That's far too dismissive. Fault (noun): an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature. That's not the case here.

I agree that the majority of the time both a confusing, unsighted layout and majorly restricted space are faults in the theme park industry, but not when utilised as an enhancement to the experience like in Phantasialand. Enhancement (noun): an increase or improvement in quality, value or extent. So these characteristics cannot be seen as faults in this instance, as they cannot be applied negatively to the park. In your (really good btw) blog post you discussed experiential enhancements, when applied to Phantasialand, tight spaces and interesting paths are two of these such enhancements to the visitor experience.

I do want to thank you for provoking thought and discussion though, it's both enriching and has deepened my love of Phantasialand by looking deeper into things that I'd normally see once and just accept. :)

But the signature attraction(s) would be 40 big apples just next to each other because +40,

I like this idea - you could really enhance this by moving them slightly at the end of each season, and replacing just one - but not telling anyone which - so they have to ride all 40 to get the +1!

My park would have:

1 - a 300+ foot version of skyrush
2 - A B and M invert - similar intensity and theming to nemesis, but a bit taller and 2 or 3 more inversions
3 - A small rmc with a few inversions (wicked cyclone esque)
4 - a small but lovely GG woody (roar a saurus)
5 - A b and M "hyper-light" (think piraten but more floaty light airtime)
6 - a Multi launch coaster (just like helix)
7 - a mack bobsled, that's even more twisty than avalanche
8 - a modern zierer family coaster - maybe a drop coaster like polar explorer
9 - a vekoma mine train

divided across 4 individual themed lands, each with 1 or 2 dark rides, and 4 or 5 flats as well as a kiddy coaster or 2!

Don#t want much do I??

JoshC. said:
Not really an idea for my own theme park, but a pipe dream of mine is a park building duelling B&M wingriders. Could look stunning, and have potential with near misses and whatnot.

Can't see it every happening, but yeah, that.
I thought of the same thing once, I was thinking it could have theming based on fighter planes dogfighting. For example, one train could be chasing the other and that train being chased pulls into an Immelmann loop and "escape." Throw in machine gun sound effects on the trains when there is a near miss, and bam. Great ride lol.

Jordanovichy said:

I never knew I needed this to happen until now. LOL