What's new

The Nemesis retrack; is it a new credit or not?

Is the Nemesis retrack a new coaster credit?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. As most of you are probably aware, Nemesis at Alton Towers is currently undergoing a hefty refurbishment wherein all of the track with the exception of the brake run, lift hill and station track is being replaced. With most of the track being replaced, this has brought up an interesting conundrum among those who count coaster credits; when Nemesis reopens, will the new version be a brand new credit? This conundrum is dividing opinion among coaster counters, so I'd be keen to know; in your view, will new Nemesis be a new credit?

Personally, I would say no. I will not be classing Nemesis V2 as a separate credit to Nemesis V1. As it's only the track being replaced, I see no reason how from a technical standpoint, this retrack is any different to how wooden coasters are retracked on a semi-regular basis (albeit all the track is replaced in one go rather than incrementally like on a woodie). If something else significant was materially changing about the track and train ride experience, then I might think differently. But as the layout is staying the same, with only the track itself being replaced, I will not be classing Nemesis V2 as a new credit. I didn't class Hulk V1 and Hulk V2 as separate credits for the same reason; from a technical standpoint, it's the same ride as it always was, but with different track.

I can see the argument for it being a new credit, but I don't personally agree with it.

But what are your thoughts? I'd be keen to know!

JackFish

Mega Poster
Ahhh, the credit debate. Always my favorite topic to read all the posts and all the disagreements.

I would say no Nemesis V2 is not a new cred. It's the same ride and not even all of the track is replaced. You could say it is 1/2 of a new cred since it some of it is new track. if you are one of the ones who want to count the whole thing as a new cred. It can't be, not even all of the track is being replaced. So the most anyone could get out of it is .5 of a cred.

Hutch

Strata Poster
But it's far more than half the ride right? Isn't pretty much everything getting retracked besides the station/brakes (and maybe the lift hill)?

I counted Hulk twice which is pretty much the same idea. I've gone back to question it but I'll hold my ground on that. So with that logic I'd have to count Nemesis a second time. That said, even seeing the ride in shambles, with track and even supports gone, this is practically a new ride.

JackFish

Mega Poster
But it's far more than half the ride right? Isn't pretty much everything getting retracked besides the station/brakes (and maybe the lift hill)?
I said 1/2 for ease and me being too lazy to go and measure out the lift hill and brakes and station on the google maps measuring tool, and then do the math.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I can see both sides, however I'm inclined to say no. It's the same layout in the exact same location. For a ride to be a new cred then it must have its own unique track and its own unique location. This excludes things that I do not count as credits such as relocated rides and retracks while still including things I do count as credits such as unique layouts and clones

Matt N

CF Legend
I can see both sides, however I'm inclined to say no. It's the same layout in the exact same location. For a ride to be a new cred then it must have its own unique track and its own unique location. This excludes things that I do not count as credits such as relocated rides and retracks while still including things I do count as credits such as unique layouts and clones
I'm pretty much in full agreement with your logic, to be honest!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm undecided at the moment. My gut feel is - yes. I count Hulk twice and would have done Python if I'd ridden it before. I think enough of the track has materially changed in one moment to skirt the Coaster of Theseus argument that is usually the case (woodies, Big One, etc).

DelPiero

Strata Poster
We had the discussion this weekend gone.
Personally no. There are three reasons why I would could a full retrack;
  1. All of the track being replaced in one go. Not the case here as lift, station and brakes are not being replaced.
  2. Significant change to layout/ride experience. It's the same ride as before.
  3. Steel retrack of wood or vice versa. It's still steel.
I can see the argument the other way, and I'm not telling people how to count their creds but for me personally, It's a No.

Editing for examples;
  1. Ride is ripped out, full retrack, basically a clone of it is inserted. Zyclons at seaside parks like portsmouth for example.
  2. The new TTD will be a significant change to ride experience. Mantis/Rougarou floorless conversion isn't enough.
  3. The obvious ones like Wildcat's Revenge, but also Lightning Rod V2 if it feels very different and is now classified as a Steel coaster, then maybe.

Last edited:

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Hasn’t this exact line of questioning already happened in the retrack thread?
Not everyone's following the thread that closely, and it's a question that can easily get lost amongst the countless pictures and posts over some red paint on some track pieces. Construction topics can have ludicrous numbers of posts if you step away from them for a couple of days.

My phone does this amazing thing whereby if there's something that doesn't interest me, I can move my thumb up the screen and something else appears that might interest me more. I believe a wheel on a computer mouse can have the same effect.