What's new

The Most Important Theme Park In History?

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I know upon opening this you would instantly think Disneyland, it was the "first theme park" (VERY debatable), but Imagineers will admit that they took alot of inspiration from next door neighbour Knott's Berry Farm, so would Knott's be more important to the history of theme parks? Or would we have to go right back to Coney Island and the traditional pleasure beaches, the first places to charge people to enjoy rides and attractions? Of course, we could go even further back, to before theme parks with mine carts riding down mountains in Russia, eventually opened for public recreational purposes, thus creating the first roller coasters?

I know I've just mentioned things that aren't theme parks, but the main idea I'm trying to get from this topic is what events or laces have contributed most greatly the the theme park world that we all know and love today?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'd say Coney Island to be honest. It was the "Eden" most new coasters designs came from. A lot of new designs and commercial testing was done at Coney Island - without the park the coaster world wouldn't have advanced quite so quickly.

nealbie

CF Legend
If we're being especially pedantic about this - I'd say Hampton Court Palace Gardens, with Henry VIII and his "themed" garden parties. Where the gardens would be transformed into what was then deemed different exotic styles and arrangements. Including the maze :)

Now, you'd think "hang on, but they're GARDENS, not a park" - well, think again! At 750 acres it's most certainly not on the small side :lol:

Although, admittedly, a lot of the influences for the HCPG came from Versailles - but that would be giving the French credit for something, which I simply can't do ;)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
What an interesting topic, because it's a really difficult one to answer without defaulting to D*sney.

When I read the opening post, Bakken in Denmark came to mind.

Like nealbie's example, it started life as a simple spring where the locals would go to try the magical water, then the King got his hands on it and turned it into a hunting ground for his wealthy counterparts and eventually it was reopened to the public.

When the public came back, stalls, games and other entertainment such as artists and poets appeared. After time, these entertainers created a council to preserve the area and 300 years later, it has grown to what it is today.

It's probably the best example I can think of where a group of random and individually owned rides first come together under one roof to create an amusement park...it made way for other open areas of land to unite to create a single park for everybody to enjoy (and make money from).

I think Bakken is probably responsible for creating an amusement park, and it was only a matter of time until somebody else would come along and reinvent the idea of creating an entire world through theme...and we all know who I'm thinking about!

spicy

Giga Poster
I'd think Alton Towers deserves a mention too. The Earl of Shrewsbury entertained guests in his gardens and house since the early 1800's, which obviously paved the way for the theme park we see today, which undoubtedly is one of the most influential theme parks in Europe.

It's also pretty hard to ignore Disneyland and how influential on theme parks it was. Not only did it prove that there is a mass market for theme parks around the world, it also showed how its Disney characters can be sucessful in creating an unrivalled atmosphere within the parks. I think without Disney there certainly wouldn't be Universal Parks or half as many theme parks we see today.

Snoo

The Legend
Personally, the major theme parks which made it through WW2 and the depression. Those parks in which made a big resurgence and led the industry were the ones to help the amusement industry get back on its feet and lead to the Disney parks we see today. Those were by far the most important.

A

Anonymous

Depends on what you mean by "Theme park".

If you mean Amusement Park then I would agree with Ian about Bakken, since it's the oldest one in operation.

But if you are more strict about the "Theme" bit then the neighbouring park to Bakken would be my choice. Since Tivoli Gardens is what Disney used as a template for their first parks.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Such a hard topic to answer. There have been so many influential parks over the years. Each taking the amusement park industry in a grand new direction. If I were to narrow it down to one park, it would have to be Coney Island. The Cyclone was such an influential ride. "Replicas" started popping up all over the place. Heck even CP copied them! Coney Island, in my opinion, is the birthplace of the modern roller coaster.

A

Anonymous

Such a hard one, I would of instantly said Dis*ey but, ergggggggggggggg. :? :?

Colossus

Giga Poster
Now iam not a not a major lover of Alton Towers, but its historic importance is high, especially as far as UK based theme parks go, Alton Towers paved the way for almost every park we have here including my beloved Thorpe Park. Not to mention the ground breaking ride types, now i know it wernt the first inverter but Nemesis has practically giving birth to all the inverters of the world. Not to mention Oblivion and prehaps Thirteen have both been world firsts at Alton Towers