What's new

TEA Global Attractions Attendance Report 2023

Insane to see USJ is at 16m and exceeding TDS and TDL. That park does not have the capacity or infrastructure for the attendance it gets!

Fascinating that the only park to break the Disney-Universal top 10 duopoly is Chimelong Ocean Kingdom - did not appreciate how big of a deal that place was. Also surprising to see Everland so high, as their dry park never struck me as being able to hack Europa Park levels of demand. USJ being 3rd is somewhat tragic, seeing as the park feels tightly landlocked and hence cannot easily grow to accommodate that absolutely overwhelming demand.

It gives me even more respect for Europa Park and Efteling seeing them on here. Sure, neither is exactly "the little guy", but it's impressive that independent European parks can still take on the mouse.

Right?
And now I guess I understand the ego around the inflated price for Portaventura! Once you remove the Disney juggernaut out of the equation, you are left with the top three legacy parks - Tivoli Gardens, Efleting, and Europa. And all of those have a following, longer than PA has been open. Then the ones after PA in attendance numbers are not only a million less or more, they are mostly owned by companies with multiple parks in their portfolios (Merlin, Reinudos, Looping)
So yes, I am not sure it's worth what they are asking for it, but now I do understand what's up with the price!

I do wonder if the numbers for places like Europa, Efteling, PortAventura, and Disney/Universal to an extent aren't at least partially inflated by people visiting the parks for multiple days. PortAventura in particular encourages it with how cheap multi-day passes are compared to single-day ones (next week, for example, single day 1-park tickets are €51 whereas 3-day 2-park tickets are only €71). Even just 10-15% of visitors arriving for multiple days would boost their numbers by another 300-500k.

I do wonder if the numbers for places like Europa, Efteling, PortAventura, and Disney/Universal to an extent aren't at least partially inflated by people visiting the parks for multiple days. PortAventura in particular encourages it with how cheap multi-day passes are compared to single-day ones (next week, for example, single day 1-park tickets are €51 whereas 3-day 2-park tickets are only €71). Even just 10-15% of visitors arriving for multiple days would boost their numbers by another 300-500k.
I think it's safe to say that that's absolutely the case. They'll report the numbers based on the number of people who enter each day, regardless of whether they were there the day before as well.

I don't see it as "inflating" numbers exactly. The number of people in the park is the same whether they've been there before or not.

Having said that, I think it's definitely something to consider when it comes to park profitability. For example, Hong Kong Disneyland is back to pre-pandemic guest numbers, but 55% of those are locals. Does that mean that over half of the Hong Kong population visited Disneyland last year? Absolutely not. It means that there are s**tloads of annual pass visitors (they sold loads of those during Covid, many of which would still have been valid last year) and each visit is counted. Next year's numbers will be the real test. Did the "Covid" visitors renew the annual passes, and did World of Frozen get new visitors through the gates?

Ocean Park concerns, though doesn't surprise, me. They used to always be right next to Hong Kong Disney in the rankings, but have completely disappeared. I've been saying for years that they were arrogantly over-reliant on mainland Chinese tour groups, but they offer nothing these days that can't be found in most other large Chinese cities. They've closed rides without replacing (or even removing) them and added nothing new. One of the pandas just had cubs, so they'll monetise that as much as possible, but I think they're vastly overestimating their "panda so cute" plan. Newsflash, people in China can see pandas pretty much anywhere.

People stay over at all kinds of parks. Park hopping would also add up throughout a resort. Its a sign that people want to be there and the company provides a compelling option.

I think it's safe to say that that's absolutely the case. They'll report the numbers based on the number of people who enter each day, regardless of whether they were there the day before as well.

I don't see it as "inflating" numbers exactly. The number of people in the park is the same whether they've been there before or not.
I don’t mean to imply that anything skeevy is happening, just that I think parks like PA and Europa may have an inherent advantage in the rankings by nature of being multi-day destinations for a lot of people. I love going to Liseberg, but as a non-local I don’t feel the need to go there more than once a year since it’s a one-day park for me. Conversely, I can’t imagine ever going to Europa for just one day without feeling stressed about it because there’s so much more to do there.

Maybe Liseberg makes up for that with a local base that visits constantly (same with Tivoli Gardens, I imagine), but locals to Europa probably visit that park a lot as well in addition to out-of-towners like me who stay there for longer.