What's new

SWGaF - Day 0: Frankfurt Airport

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I've known about Coaster Breaks ever since its conception - a small group of 7 coaster maniacs get driven around parks by a tour guide for a week or so, visiting many places in the process. Being a very "I love public transport!" guy, going on one of these trips sounded fun but was never really on my radar. However, as time passed, the idea of doing one sounded like a better and better idea. I spotted one trip that involved a few parks that seemed *really* inconvenient to get to by bus & train, and I was told that if you go on a coaster break you could be invited onto a USA tour, and I wanted to see how I would deal with being around more people that have my energy. And so the South West Germany and France tour was booked.

Day 0: Frankfurt Airport
Day 1: ??????? ????
Day 2: ???????????? ??????????
Day 3: ?????? ???? & ?????????
Day 4: ?????? ????
Day 5: ????????? ????? ???
Day 6: ?????????
Day 7: ???? ???????
Day 8: ???? ????? ????

The trip kicked off in some Holiday Inn Express near Frankfurt Airport, but we had to make our own way there as the tour guide was making his way from the UK in his multi-seater van. Finding out that he was making a stop at Bobbejaanland on the way there, I sent him a message asking him to pick up a Revolution shirt for me as they weren't in stock on my visit, he pulled through and I got it. Huge.

Unfortunately, Frankfurt Airport may very well be the worst airport I've ever been to. The place was incredibly linear, ExCeL London levels of straight line madness with incorrect signage (if it even existed) and literally nowhere pointing me in the direction of a taxi rank where I could get my Bolt. Eventually I found the taxi rank but my Bolt wasn't there, and after over half an hour on the phone to Mr Driver over where the f**k he was, I cut my losses and cancelled it before sending a "help me" message to the tour guide seeing if he can pick me up from the airport as I REALLY DO NOT LIKE DEALING WITH TAXIS. I am on my knees begging, BEGGING for these taxi apps to add a video calling feature. PLEASE.

Anyway, I ended up gaining the confidence to hail a normal taxi. Bolt man asked for 20 euros for the 9 minute drive to the hotel. Taxi man asked for 35. I just wanted to get to the hotel. I said ok. The whole ordeal dealing with the unbelievable faff of the straight line hell, getting food, and the taxi torment meant that I landed at 1pm and checked into the hotel at no earlier than about 6:30pm.

We met with the rest of the group before setting off for dinner where we got together, had some laughs about everything, and how we have shared experience with awful experiences of Frankfurt (and how one guy almost had his phone stolen). Dinner was good, then we saved a random car from being stuck on a dirt mound which required the pushing force of about 6 people (and the driver flooring it) to get unstuck. Fun.

An inconvenient start to the day, I've always always always hated taxis but if I really do want to be serious with this whole theme parking business, it's something I'm going to have to deal with and get used to, so I see it as more of a "stepping stone experience" rather than something negative.

Tomorrow - Premier Rides