What's new

Slammer - Thorpe Park

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Apologies if there has already been a discussion on this, I remember seeing something about it testing recently but couldn't find a thread for this.

Anyway I was at Thorpe yesterday and from early morning it was testing, by 1 there were guests on and it was running smoothly all day. First time I've seen it running in years and a lot of people were talking about it in queues and what not so I guess it's been missed.

On another note Angry Birds Land looks okay, but the dodgems are possibly the slowest things I have ever seen, nothing like the fair's that come round my way! Cinema was good though!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Just so people know I went today and I think they open Slammer late, it wasn't open from the park opening, right through to after lunch. I think it must have opened at about 1 o'clock. Though I hate to say it, but that may have been down to technical difficulties... So are we taking bets yet as to when it's leaving?

That said it's still really enjoyable! I absolutely love it, and it seemed everyone who rode it was enjoying it! Not trying to sound ungrateful though, but it didn't seem busy at all, you almost wonder why they've spent so much time and money fixing up the ride.

andrus

Giga Poster
Great to read of Slammers return! I absolutely loved it on my visit to Thorpe Park :--D It's such a perfect flat ride; exhilarating, unique and it doesn't make you sick (like a lor of other spin 'n' spew rides tend to do.. )

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I can also confirm slammer was operating today on my visit to the park. However, with less than 3 hours and some rather friends, my chances of riding were almost zero. A few others did manage to ride it though. However, whilst queue time was low (I think we can generally attribute that to the ride's nature), operations were abysmal. I had a 15 minute window in which to ride, and by the end of the time, the first ride had only just finished. To be fair on Thorpe, elsewhere, ops were very good - Nemesis Jr was pretty much constantly in motion, as was The Swarm.

Maybe it's just the ride itself, but there was literally a 5 minute gap between riders being seated and the restraints being locked. Does Slammer have to 'recharge' its air pressure at all? Anyway, awesome ride (even without riding), and *if* it's open when I hopefully return in a few weeks, I should have the pleasure to ride it.

A few other notes:
-AB land is utterly pants. Everything seems so plastic and forced, crammed between two perfectly contiguous themed areas (Amity and the loose Nemesis Inferno theme)
-Colossus was averaging a 120 minute queue time, even with good operations. It has also clearly degraded as the rattle is extremely audible off ride. New trains wouldn't hurt, but I guess there's no financial benefits of that...so Merlin management makes THAT impossible.
-The way they've set up mrawS and Swarm, if you enter initially through the backwards entrance, you still get the opportunity to 'brave it forwards' in a far shorter backwards line. The gimmick clearly hasn't paid off, since the back rows were often empty.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
The Queue for Colossus was 2 hours! I think it was running about 10-20 mins all day when I was there. Were there 2 trains on? Stealth had the longest queue of about an hour in the morning / early afternoon but when they put the second train on around 2 that dramatically dropped.

Swarm operation seems good as there was no queue all day long, and nemesis as usual was flowing fast.