What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain 9-1-09

Xpress

Strata Poster
Went to Six Flags Magic Mountain on Tuesday, for a somewhat annual trip to the park (hopefully it'll be monthly when I have a job and am driving- soon). Here's what went down:

Soo, after a LONG 3 hour drive that was nearly free of traffic, we finally airrived at the park to find about 40-50 cars in the parkinglot. Well, we happened to have a car that was registered as handy capped, so we just drove to the closest parking spot in the park. After what seemed like a too long of a walk, we finally got into the park. We had printed tickets out online, so we didn't need to buy them.

We apparently had gotten there early, so we had to wait outside the gates and watch this stupid show they were putting on in front. It got funny, but I tried to not LOL at it.. Then after like a 15 minute wait, they finally called Mr. Six out to help open the gates :D

Well, as we got to the front of the line, we were told that we didn't read the fine print on our tickets, and they were just redemption slips. DOH! So we walked over to get them redemmed. Turns out, that little bit of time was just enough to allow the small group of about 80 into the park, so we didn't have to wait :D

The first thing we decided to do was Terminator Salvation: The Ride, because I wanted to ride it before the park got too crowded (it never did, guest count was maybee 250-300 all day). OMG, that was the most awesome ride I've ever been on :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I loved it soo much that me and my brother decided to ride it 4 more times, so we got 5 rides on it in the morning. It's a REALLY well themed ride. As you walk in there's a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon sitting out front, that's been all dressed up the same as the ones in the movie (they look like they've been put through war.

sfmm90109134.jpg

There's two of these guys, one outside the ride entrance, then another inside the final turns on the ride. Ther'es also another odd looking vehicle (I think it's an industrial semi towing truck) with a big plow on the front, that sounded like it was running. These guys were also camera nazi's and wouldn't allow me to take the camera past the front of the line..

sfmm90109133.jpg

The entrance almost looks menacing, with two cameras (one is functional- visible inside the Q lines) watching over the entrance. Where the line guards are inside the entrance, there are also lockers, that cost you a dollar to use (ripoff).

But, once we were done with Terminator, we diecided to head off to Riddlers Revenge, to grab a ride in. We got inside the station, and as usual they were playing Ecuador by Sash! The Bruce Wayne Remix. However they didn't have the lights on that flash the green riddlers question mark around :( But anyways, there was a small weight for the front car, so bench the ride it was untill then. The ride ops are really slow with loading, so it seemed like it was going to take forever. But we finally got in, and rode after 11 seat adjustments.. :|

Now, off to the ride I came for (well the other one): Batman the Ride :D

I've taken an extensive library of the ride yesterday, from every angle I could get, so I can work on my recreation of the ride.I won't be putting all of them up here, but here's some I took :)

sfmm90109160.jpg

Now this has GOT to be one of my favorite shots of the ride in action. Those wingovers are TIGHT :D

sfmm90109172.jpg

Ooo, loop shot <3 :D

After grabbing a ride, we decided it was food time, so we ate at the PaPa Johns right in front of the ride entrance. At this point in the day, ash started falling from the sky because of the wildfires up north of the park. They were far away, so the park wasn't in any danger, and you couldn't really notice the smell of fire, so it wasn't a huge concern for us, but, if you looked up, the sky was orange :shock:

sfmm90109027.jpg

Now, if that doesn't look menacing, then I don't know what does. You can see that the sky is covered with nive, UVa/UVb blocking smoke clouds :D

But anyways, we decided to head off to Scream! and Colossus once we were done. Now, Scream! was a LOT quieter than I remember, so they must have changed the wheels, because it was no longer screaming loud, but more of a soft roar. But anyways, grabbed a couple rides on it, front and back, so i had my fill. Now it was off to a classic woodie, the double tracked multi directional racer :D There was 1 kid on the ride when we got there, so it was another walkon (at this point, everything was a walkon depending on the seat you chose). We grabbed front row, and then a few ladies walked into the Q. One of them said "Hey, lets grab the back, because it comes off the track.". "Oh crap." I thought, "Another LOL moment..". Then the two guys that walked in behind them said, "Oh YES." and took the back, leaving me and my bro up front. All ours uahaha. The ride was a lot less forceful than I remember, because I could have sworn the last hills destroyed your legs from the hard restrains :| Mybee it was the MCBR trimming the train a lot, I don't know..

Soo, uhh, where were we at this time..

Oh yes, the epic arcade which had PSP's, iTouches, iPod Nano Chromatics, and Nintendo DS' inside those stupid pickup cases. My brother wased probably $60 just trying to get one on a rigged machine..

Whatever, but now we went on over to Goliath after wasting half an hour on rigged machines, and grabbed a ride. The stupid people were all determined to grab front row, so we grabbed the back seat. But then the ride ops said they need at least 15 riders to dispatch, and they asked if some of the front liners could ride this train. Nope, not one of them would budge. What idiots! We waited for nearly 15 minutes before a few people finally showed up to fill in the train more, and off we went. Oh, I forgot how much I love Goliath :D The helice is soo awesomely forceful :D

But anyways, after what seemed like too short of a ride, we got off, and wanted to hit up Superman, Ninja and all that, so we hiked back up that huge hill to get on Superman.

Along the way, we saw some Canadian Geese, because they usually migrate down here this time of year.

sfmm90109030.jpg

sfmm90109031.jpg

Umm...

And since we were at GoldRusher, we thought that we should grab a ride.

sfmm90109032.jpg

Top of first drop.

sfmm90109033.jpg

Wheee!

sfmm90109034.jpg

2nd lift.

sfmm90109036.jpg

sfmm90109037h.jpg

Racing log jammer :D

I wish I had known about this, but since a lot of people loose hats on this ride, the people who clean them up stack them on one of the supporting foundations for superman. We had zoomed by soo fast that I never got a picture, but it was funny :)

At this time of day, it was about 95*F outside, and really humid, so once we got inside the AC'd Superman cave, we diecided to sit and wait inside a bit lol :D But it was time, and we grabbed front seats. But nOooo. The ride op decided that me and my brother couldn't ride front row, so he moved us back :evil: :evil:

sfmm90109003.jpg

This shows just how high the car gets. I was too lazy to rotate it but you can still see.

sfmm90109004.jpg

And screaming back down..

Whatever, it's still a quick ride. And LOUD as ever. Seriously, the comparison between an FA-18 Hornet jet fighter and Superman is nearly identical.

Well, not that we've got some speed, I wanted to grab a ride on Ninja, so we popped in line. It was a short wait as usual, and I didn't want to grab front car, because there were people in it already, so I just grabbed car 2.

sfmm90109041.jpg

sfmm90109040.jpg

OMG, a curved station!!11one!

sfmm90109042.jpg

sfmm90109043x.jpg

sfmm90109044.jpg

sfmm90109045.jpg

Ninja onrides..

Hmm, now that we've gotten off Ninja, I saw that SkyTower was open, and operating, so we hopped onto the elevator, and rode up to the top. As it turns out, theres a museum up there, with the parks history, and track parts, and such. You can pretty much see EVERYTHING from up there!

Xpress

Strata Poster
But wait, there's more..

Moving along..

Soo, after riding Ninja, I saw that SkyTower was running. I decided to go check out the view, so I and my brother and grandma hopped into the trianglular elevator and rode to the top. It's an amazing view from up there, and you can practically see everything in the san fernando valley, as well as everything in the park.

Here's an image gallery of what can be seen from up there: http://img84.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sfmm90109063.jpg

sfmm90109067.jpg

Oh yeah, cooler than the other side of the pillow :cool:

Anyways, after spending about half an hour up in the Museum in the sky, we headed down to try to ride Tatsu, one of my top 10 rides. However, my brother didn't want to ride it, so instead, we took the more "relaxing" route and went on the Trams down the hill.

sfmm90109116.jpg

sfmm90109122.jpg

sfmm90109123.jpg

Didn't get the whole thing, but it's a manual brake :shock:

But uhh, so..

AHH, yess. We were by Revolution, and I had to grab a ride on a classic ride, so we did. Again, as was usual, there were no people in line, so we hopped on for a ride. Even though it's been trimmed a lot, it's still a fun ride.

I didn't wind up getting pictures, but inside the station, there is a seperate lift chain, to propel the train out of the station. This is how a lot of the older 70's style Swarzkopf loopers are, as apparently, it's a more safer way to get the train onto the lift :lol:

Anyways, as we were leaving, a peculiar site caught my brothers eye, and he calledm e back over.

A rare site indeed! A large sized Preying Mantis!

sfmm90109128.jpg

A feisty little guy. Tried to runaway from the camera every time.

sfmm90109127.jpg

Fianlly held still long enough for me to take a good pic :D

Right now, we were in Baja Ridge, and X2 wasn't too far of a walk away, so we went over to ride. Took some convincing to get my bro to ride, because it's double riders only.

What an awesome ride indeed, even before the overhaul. The new trains however felt more rough, but the sound system was cool. As we were on the predrop, we heard on the sound system a lyric by Aerosmith, where Steven Tyler sings "GOING DOWNN!" from the song Love in an Elevator. I found it hilarious, as we were going down the drop. Suddenly, a HUGE jerk, which slammed my head against the restraints, then AGAIN as we were going up the Raven Turn. But I managed to smile for the camera :D

scan0001n.jpg

:lol: :lol:

It's a bit hard to keep your head from bashing against the restraints, all the while being forced down and smiling all at the same time.. My brother managed to do an odd face tho...

But now, it was time to leave X2, and since Viper was a short walk away, we walked onto that one, front row :D

Interesting observation, the ride is now sponsored by this odd hair glue stuff, hence the big decal over the train. They could have at least left the VIPER logo exposed.. Oh well, at least the colors are fitting..

sfmm90109129.jpg

sfmm90109130banana.jpg

... :lol: ...

Anyways, now, since I was determined to ride everything, we headed to Tatsu, so I can ride since my bro was too afraid to ride it, just because he would be hanging the whole time. No convincing could get him on. Oh well..

So, as I was getting off, i decided to try to look for the track piece that has the designers names on it. So I looked closely at the track pieces, when,.. OMG... I found it! :D

tatsubuildernames.png

The track piece itself has been painted over wil yellow, but you can still see the decals through it. I sharpened the image up a bit and zoomed in on the sectio,n as my camera didn't quite see it as well as I did.

RCDB comparison pic: http://www.rcdb.com/3305.htm?p=15628

It's a shame that they didn't leave it uncovered, because by doing that, they were crediting the guys who put the ride together, and without them, the ride would still be in pieces :(

Blah, enough of that. Now we headed to the back of the park again, so I could ride Deja Vu. Man, what an AWESOME ride in itself! It packs soo much force, into so little of a ride. I had to ride with a couple of UK girls, and one of them decided to not ride. I just lol'd to myself, and let the ride go. Man, what a fun ride :D

But, after a short ish ride, I headed back over to Terminator, because we wanted to ride again. This time, we grabbed car number 5, which is the middle of the train, so I could feel the forces from there. Still awesome! :D Even though they replaced car #12 with a sound system and batteries, I still found the rider capacity to be very high. With both trains running, I'd bet a line wouldn't exist! Oh, yeah, one more thing. The station fly-through was LOUD!! You can see the train comming, so you can prepare for it, but it's still LOUD.

But, as I have ridden everything but the small kiddie rides, we only had about 25 minutes left before the park closed, so I wanted to snag a few more rides on Batman and at least one more on Goliath.

This time around, my brother just HAD to ride swashbuckler, so he forced me onto it saying that I forced him onto X2 and blah blah blah.. Whatever, we rode it. Ride time is like 4 minutes :shock:

So, now I only had like 15 minutes to grab some more rides. I wanted to get a good SOLID feeling on how Batmans forces were, so I rode in front, and back, While I was waiting for front car, there were a group of girls riding car 2. One of them freaked out to the point where she was crying and just wanted off. It took the ride ops like 3 minutes to realise it, and they eventually let her off. So she waited behind the exit gate and they sent the train off. A minute and a half later, the train was back in the station, and I hopped on front row. Apparently the girl was feeling up to it, and got on next to me with her friend.

So I rode again :D I absolutely love that layout. It's just soo forceful all around. The only thing I think that's missing from it would be airtime, but I'd rather leave that to someone like Intamin.

That girl was smiling her face off this time, as she got off :lol:

Soo, anyways, I asked if I could ride back car again, since there was nobody in line. The Ride op said 'sure, go ahead." And I rode again in back car, which was even more sweet :D

Then I hopped back into the front car, and rode a 4th time that day. I can't ever get enough of that ride.

But, now it was closing time, and I wanted to get on Goliath, so we raced on over, and got in the line, and just as we were getting into the front car in the station, the ride Ops said "Sorry guys, the ride is (dreaded 6 letter word) CLOSED!" I ran all that way for nothing :|

As we were walking out, we heeard ANOTHER Goliath train going up the lift, filled with riders. Okay, now I was mad :evil:

Oh well, next time.

But as we were walking out, I noticed a new section I hadn't remembered about: Thomas The Tank Engine Land.

They have a few small kiddie rides in there, including a small coaster beside Goliath Jr.

And as we were walking past the fountains in the front, I was this big LED display screen, that I hadn't seen before:

sfmm90109142.jpg

sfmm90109143.jpg

Waterfall shot.

sfmm90109137.jpg

MR. SIX!!!

Ahh, what a good day.

sfmm90109144.jpg

Really cool pic I got of the SFMM sign and the sun, which is orange because of the smoke from the fires in northern cali.

Oh yeah, the trams are now decorated in M&M decals:

sfmm90109145.jpg

A couple pics I got as we were leaving:

sfmm90109147.jpg

sfmm90109140.jpg

sfmm90109149.jpg

And some from the Dennys diner across the freeway:

sfmm90109153.jpg

sfmm90109152.jpg

sfmm90109154.jpg

After stuffing myself full of food since I hadn't eaten ince 11:30am (it was about 7pm when we got out of the Dennys), I saw that the moon was out:

sfmm90109158.jpg

Orange from the smoke.

Overall, a VERY satisfying day. I got to ride my first GCI woodie, and I got to ride X2 for the first time (since it was X). I also got to do a lot of stuff I've never done before (I.E. sky tower and museum, and take onride pics lol).

Hope you enjoy the pics :)

Jealousss that you got to ride Terminator! It looks as good, if not better than, Evel Knievel, which was awesome and very nearly a top ten coaster. Glad to hear that the lines were very short as well.. It is always a relief to go to a park and see an empty lot!

Nice shots, sounds like a good day, and I'm glad you had fun. SFMM has always been one of those parks I have been wanting to get to.