What's new

Shrek 4-D closing at Universal Studios Florida in January 2022; new attraction in the works?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Universal Orlando have today confirmed that Shrek 4D is closing permanently on 10th January 2022: https://www.clickorlando.com/theme-...ys-4d-attraction-is-set-to-permanently-close/

I wonder what will replace it? Screamscape also said a few days ago that a new attraction concept is “in the works”; here’s what Lance had to say on the matter:
Screamscape said:
2023ish - New Attraction - Rumor - (10/3/21) Screamscape is sending out a very early warning for fans of Shrek 4-D. Go see it, enjoy it, take it all in as if it were your last time to experience it. After a number of years of living on the chopping block, our sources tell us that it is no longer a matter of “IF” Shrek 4-D will close, but now only a matter of exactly “WHEN” it will close.
A new attraction concept to replace Shrek 4-D is in the works and before you know it, the big green guy will be heading back to the swamp for good. It was often thought that Shrek 4-D was given an extension of life because a new Shrek feature film was green lit for production. While production on a “Shrek 5” film has been said to be in the works for a number of years now (the release window was delayed by COVID, of course), the new film isn’t expected until late 2022 at the earliest, but from the sound of things, Shrek 4-D isn’t likely to be around by then. It would be a nice touch if they could put a 2D version of the attraction film onto a future Blu-Ray and Digital Release in much the same way that the Back To The Future ridefilm was included in a Blu-Ray release of the BTTF trilogy a few years ago.
Here’s the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_florida.htm#Shrek

Interesting… I wonder what could be in the pipeline? My personal prediction is a version of the Secret Life of Pets omnimover at Universal Studios Hollywood (it would make sense, what with how near the building is to the park’s attraction themed to Despicable Me, a fellow Illuminations movie), but I guess you never know!

What do you guys think?

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Good riddance. It was fun the first time (in 2003), but now it just feels like filler with an outdated IP. I do hope they replace it with a ride, rather than a new 4D movie, but is there enough space? Shrek 4D is landlocked in the middle of the park, so I don't know how much of a show building they could fit in the lot.

peep

CF Legend
I'm with RTcmix, good riddance!

I think we'll see one of two things happen, it'll either get the same makeover the one in Hollywood got (now a dreamworks themed cinema) or replaced with a new small attraction, maybe something on the scale of Jimmy Fallons thing. I believe there was a rumour at one point that they were going to get Secret Life of Pets but I think that got cancelled?

spicy

Giga Poster
I've heard it is being replaced by a Minions walk through attraction.

It was originally going to be a Minions dark ride but budget was cut to a walk through.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
About time. It was definitely outdated.

I remember doing this attraction back in 2005 when 3D films were still a novelty.

Then when I returned to Florida in 2017 I couldn't believe it was still there, unchanged.