What's new

Sensors of all shapes and sizes on coasters always this shade of green, why?

Boodangy

Mega Poster
Why's it seem like almost all if not all proximity sensors on roller coasters are this specific shade of green, is there a reason for this colour? Do all manufacturers buy from the same supplier company? Is there a reason for the colour given by that company? I've wondered for a while now.

DSC_3467.JPGsize

I'm no expert at all - but my guess would be that they're all a bright green colour like that so they are easier for engineers to find during maintenance possibly? Total guess however 🤣

So I'm talking here from my experience at work (building engineering) - but this might actually be part of it:
Do all manufacturers buy from the same supplier company?
It's the sort of thing where reputation goes a long way. Once you have an established product (and own enough of the market share to be able to provide the technical support during design and during ongoing maintenance), people will naturally gravitate towards those. We see it a lot in our work - Belimo are one of the biggest and most trusted players in the market (and by 'default' use their orange branding) and so it's quite common to see their sensors/actuators all over projects. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true in the coaster industry too.

I think @ScottLann's suggestion may also be partly true - it's generally not a good idea to hide critical sensors in camouflage with all the other gubbins going on.

This is a great question though - one I'd be curious to know more about.