What's new

Scarier Rides For whimps?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Why don't you try something in the dark like Space Mountain?
At least that way you're not intimidated by the track as its all enclosed in a shell.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Alton Towers is the best park to build up on your fears and face them, as there is a wide variety, and the coasters at Alton are something "less intense" than others of its kind.

Enter the park, start with Spinball Whizzer, try not to be intimidated by the drop and overbank as the track size tricks the brain into thinking the coaster is much larger, but it's hardly massive. If you're worried about the spinning, it is not disorientating at all so don't worry about that either. You should manage to ride it no problem, but if your nerves are pulling you away from riding, I'd recommend the Flume first, then return to Spinball. It's common among most people, your nerves are at it's worst if you haven't been on any ride on that day yet. Spinball should then get your blood flowing and adrenaline pumping.

Think then, you have just ridden one of the most intense coasters at the park.

Head to Forbidden Valley for Air. This is a very tame "thrill", so this is a good starting point for larger coasters. Don't be intimidated by the flying position, and transitions through the track, you are practically stapled into the train and you barely feel yourself moving. It's a very relaxing ride, and you'll soon be pulling the Superman manuevre as you coast round the track.

Next stop is Nemesis. This is made out to be a lot worse than it actually is, so you may as well ignore everything people say etc. It isn't actually THAT intense. The only thing you need to take into mind with Nemmie is that it's over-hyped in terms of intensity, and just think, you're only pulling a maximum of around 3.5G's, so it's not as forceful as people make it out to be. Make sure you do Nemmie as it will be essential to transform your fears into desires.

Take the SkyRide to Ug Land and get queuing for Rita! This is a step up from Nemesis and Air, due to it being a bit more "shocking", than "layout", very much like Oblivion too. The thing you need to think about here is 60MPH isn't actually that fast. It's only 10MPH faster than Nemesis, which isn't a lot at all, and the acceleration is paled in comparison to Stealth. You may have problems with Rita, the wait for the launch can send you a little panicky if it's a first time, but the actual launch is a breeze. If you are nervous, come back after you have been on a few level 3 coasters as I call them (such as: Nemesis, AIR, Nemesis Inferno, Shockwave, G Force etc).

After Rita you shouldn't have much problem with the others at the park, Oblivion and Ripsaw can be a bit tricky at first, but you will gradually overcome that fear.

Another tip is to get a brave girlfriend/boyfriend, and take her/him. You wouldn't want to look an idiot in front of that person would you :)

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Kebab said:
Alton Towers is the best park to build up on your fears and face them, as there is a wide variety, and the coasters at Alton are something "less intense" than others of its kind.

Enter the park, start with Spinball Whizzer, try not to be intimidated by the drop and overbank as the track size tricks the brain into thinking the coaster is much larger, but it's hardly massive. If you're worried about the spinning, it is not disorientating at all so don't worry about that either. You should manage to ride it no problem, but if your nerves are pulling you away from riding, I'd recommend the Flume first, then return to Spinball. It's common among most people, your nerves are at it's worst if you haven't been on any ride on that day yet. Spinball should then get your blood flowing and adrenaline pumping.

Think then, you have just ridden one of the most intense coasters at the park.

Head to Forbidden Valley for Air. This is a very tame "thrill", so this is a good starting point for larger coasters. Don't be intimidated by the flying position, and transitions through the track, you are practically stapled into the train and you barely feel yourself moving. It's a very relaxing ride, and you'll soon be pulling the Superman manuevre as you coast round the track.

Next stop is Nemesis. This is made out to be a lot worse than it actually is, so you may as well ignore everything people say etc. It isn't actually THAT intense. The only thing you need to take into mind with Nemmie is that it's over-hyped in terms of intensity, and just think, you're only pulling a maximum of around 3.5G's, so it's not as forceful as people make it out to be. Make sure you do Nemmie as it will be essential to transform your fears into desires.

Take the SkyRide to Ug Land and get queuing for Rita! This is a step up from Nemesis and Air, due to it being a bit more "shocking", than "layout", very much like Oblivion too. The thing you need to think about here is 60MPH isn't actually that fast. It's only 10MPH faster than Nemesis, which isn't a lot at all, and the acceleration is paled in comparison to Stealth. You may have problems with Rita, the wait for the launch can send you a little panicky if it's a first time, but the actual launch is a breeze. If you are nervous, come back after you have been on a few level 3 coasters as I call them (such as: Nemesis, AIR, Nemesis Inferno, Shockwave, G Force etc).

After Rita you shouldn't have much problem with the others at the park, Oblivion and Ripsaw can be a bit tricky at first, but you will gradually overcome that fear.

Another tip is to get a brave girlfriend/boyfriend, and take her/him. You wouldn't want to look an idiot in front of that person would you :)

Nemesis can pull 5G in the helix in the right conditions and if you sit in the right place, and can pull 4.5 in the helix if you sit at the very front in the right conditions.

I would say Rita is below Nemesis. Rita is the only big ride that has never made me feel scared or anxious or excited, something even Air can manage.

But I agree Oblivion is way ahead of anything else in terms of fear factor.

Now for my story.

The first looping ride I went on was some hatefull little Pinfari thing in Wales, which was quite scary because it was my first inverting ride.

The next step up from that was TraumaTizer at Southport, a Vekoma SLC, which was quite terrifying, as at 110 foot it was alot higher than anything I had been on before, and with 5 inversions had more inversions on one ride of it than I had previously been through put together, aswell as being my first inverted coaster.

Next level was Air, which was terrifying, but I got through that and went straight to Nemesis, which terrified me unlike anything else, and left a massive mental mark on me, without that ride I would never be so interested in rides, but thats for another time.

A year without another ride later and I went on Oblivion first thing. I have never known fear like it, and to this day it still sends a rush of chemicals around my body more than any other ride. Go on this, you can go on almost anything.

If you can't face going upside down, go on lots of non-inverting rides, even Oblivion if you can handle it. If after Oblivion you still can't, then just ignore the fact it goes upside down and make yourself brave, remember, nothing will happen to you on the ride, going upside down has no effect on you and you can barely notice it anyway, if you notice it at all. Air is good for this because it inverts you without actually putting you upside down, so may help you get over your fears a bit.

Fortunately, nerves don't really effect me that much and I have never been scared of a coaster, so I can't really help.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Thanks for all the help guys, and girls. Just to help this convo the bit I am scred of is the drop. I am actualy looking forward to going on a ride that does inversions but alas drops scare me. I think though that I have made some progress. Not much concidering these rides were at legoland but oh well. But thanks for the advice for the wild mouse. I went on the jungle coaster and loved it! My faveorite ride is still no way out but I seemed to enjoy the drop! The only problem I think I will have now is ride music and realy massive, fast rides. I know the ride music bit sounds pathetic but both the nemesis', oblivion and collosus scare me. Any tips?

A

Anonymous

well, first of, No Way Out is terrible! Anyway the first "big" coaster i rode was thorpe parks Colossus, and I used 3 tactics for this.
1. Watch POV vids of the ride so you know what to expect!
2. When your there tell the off-putting voice inside your head to shut up and embrace the fear
3. (my most effective tactic) tell people you cant wait to ride it so theyll believe youll do it, this way its harder to back out of it, cos you dont want to disapoint any1 or embarasse urself
Id recommend trying Colossus as a first "big" coaster !

Kebab

Giga Poster
silenthillXD said:
Thanks for all the help guys, and girls. Just to help this convo the bit I am scred of is the drop. I am actualy looking forward to going on a ride that does inversions but alas drops scare me.
Just ride Nemesis. There's barely a drop, and there's only 4 inversions so it is perfect for a first inversion coaster. And don't ignore Blaze, but take advantage of what he said about the forces because I'll explain to you in a bit more detail if it helps. Nemesis can "spike", up to 5G+, but sustains 3G's for about a second. Sustained forces are a lot worse than spikes, due to G spikes being un-noticable, and sustained forces acting on you for a longer extent of time, in which you can feel. People say Nemesis is forceful due to it having several moments of sustained G Forces, due to its insane twisted layout, but keep this in mind, the forces on Nemesis are strong enough for you to even notice you're upside down, so keep it as an advantage :)

Oh, and the music just adds to the atmosphere rather than the actual ride, like Titanic wouldn't "Titanic" without "My heart will go on" as hearing the song makes you expect it's going to be an emotional film. It plays a trick on you. If you're worried about the music, then try to rave to the bass on Nemesis with your friends, it adds determination because it will make you hyper.

Enjoy :p

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the advice again! I have found out I am going to alton towers for two days in the summer! I will certainly go on air! Thanks Kebab for the alton towers guide! I shall certainly follow it!

herbinator

Mega Poster
scared

I've not been on many coasters as I have only been to 2 theme parks and I am scared a lot of the time. I find that if I go on the ride with someone who is confident on the ride to reasure you and just think that if you are scared of the lift hill (the only bit that really scares me on a ride) just think well it only lasts for a few seconds and the rest is so much fun that it will make up for it.
Good luck!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Hi again! Thanks for the help once more. Does anyone have any advice particularly for thorpe park as I am going there on tuesday with my school. Also does anyone have any tips for getting past the air gates and onto the ride, as that is usualy where I freak out. Oh if anyone knows a thorpe scientist that is doing a talk to a school on tuesday then I will be seing them soon! XD

Ollie

CF Legend
Just get in the queue, chat to your friends, get on and pull down the restraint. The more you think about it he less likely you are to do it. Just tell yourself that you'll enjoy it (which you will) and that you'll be annoyed with yourself after if you don't.

Swat

Mega Poster
Your also going to be at Thorpe on Tuesday. I'm going then. It will be packed I take it?

junonyt

Roller Poster
Speed

I Suggest Speed at Oakwood, or Megafobia.

Megafobia is a Great wooden ride, and I definatly reccomend it

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the advice junonyt speed looks quite good. Anyway I failed at thorpe today ¬¬ I spent all of my time on no way out which had rediculous queue times (1 hour) and the teacups. But atleast I am going to Alton at the end of this month any Alton suggestions? I was planning on going on air first then nemesis then rita does that sound good? But I am certainly avoiding oblivion. ^^