What's new

Scandinavia Trip Report - Part 1: Iceland and Norway

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I just got back to Hong Kong a couple of days ago after my long summer holiday. As usual, I headed back to the UK to catch up with friends and increasingly/worryingly old family, but broke that up with a trip elsewhere, wanting to get some new country/park creds in there. This then developed into a couple of revisits for other new stuff, which wasn't too much of a chore given that Scandinavia is just all-round lovely anyway.

Iceland

I started off by heading to Iceland, which had been on the "must-do" list for absolutely ages. The entire country is cred-free, which is an international disgrace, so feel free to scroll down until you see some coaster track later in the report. At this point, I write these things more as a record for myself anyway since I'm one of only about 6 enthusiasts who hasn't started their own s**ty blogs or "channels".

Day 1 - Reykjavik

I got to the hotel in Reykjavik at around 6pm. I hadn't really planned to do anything, but it was early and it's not like the flight from Manchester was particularly arduous - other than having to spend time in Manchester Airport - so I headed out for a bit of a wander. The weather was s**te unfortunately. The city itself is very pleasant though. Photo dump:

01sTpKQh.jpg

60OuxQGh.jpg

1uxr1n6h.jpg

YGRiEZuh.jpg

Z1QiPXph.jpg

KqmSJLuh.jpg

e2ue4Hzh.jpg

98hFdHVh.jpg

gzP34Bth.jpg

poOwvjnh.jpg

M4VHx1qh.jpg

alEE1KWh.jpg

Q255K3ah.jpg

GwjBbWeh.jpg

Day 2 - Golden Circle

The next day, I'd booked myself onto a "Golden Circle" tour. I'm generally not the biggest fan of doing tours, but since I don't drive it was the only realistic way of getting to see stuff. Even if I did drive, doing it this way would be far cheaper than hiring a car anyway. Luckily, it was a huge tour group, which most people would complain about but I preferred as it meant it was easy to just see it as a bus service and f**k off by myself after checking what time the bus was leaving for the next stop, rather than being stuck with a tour guide and dutifully nodding and smiling all day.

The weather was still awful and the cheap, crappy, pound-shop-style umbrella I'd bought the day before (of which I didn't check the price and had actually cost close to £20!) was useless thanks to the wind, so I spent the day being wet. It was all really impressive though, and the crap weather added to the drama of it I suppose. Photos posted without explanation:

9MzO7w7h.jpg

kvfdDvLh.jpg

UhKrkmMh.jpg

4MXrMTch.jpg

twVNVSQh.jpg

PrXFKNIh.jpg

TKXTsWdh.jpg

4jkJfT1h.jpg

k6qA3yAh.jpg

EhpCjLjh.jpg

T5XyHMTh.jpg

ylPkFQXh.jpg

KiD5qF4h.jpg

IaQHysQh.jpg

61KDCrEh.jpg

xPXigzIh.jpg

PxEihAGh.jpg

yFw7NpJh.jpg

a5hN5NCh.jpg

iKmbh5Ih.jpg

mM6dY4Xh.jpg

Day 3 - South Iceland

The next day was another tour to the south of the country - again with a huge group, so I treated it as mere transport rather than a tour - and taking in a couple more waterfalls, black sand beaches and a glacier. You'll be pleased to know that the rain had mostly stopped.

IgQ8xcEh.jpg

AhRorO6h.jpg

b7CbdXkh.jpg

qMM2xx9h.jpg

Zy16FArh.jpg

xPTd9B0h.jpg

8ui4Iq9h.jpg

h6eIusCh.jpg

pyp9AWmh.jpg

H6LTWwgh.jpg

gHPIMHch.jpg

qabMeGGh.jpg

6RuBInFh.jpg

YxrnxS3h.jpg

kUrlDSmh.jpg

F2RcFhdh.jpg

eOpjGbrh.jpg

wxaWD9ph.jpg

p1LE9TJh.jpg

jMgJ3O1h.jpg

HRXHhWoh.jpg

IWaRP0Jh.jpg

QOfB6sFh.jpg

aH3Cogsh.jpg

8AYeoDdh.jpg

OMp4iOrh.jpg

UvkTyjkh.jpg

ie0xJEXh.jpg

8QzgIzyh.jpg

n7tJas7h.jpg

UF9Vuwvh.jpg

7pvyN4th.jpg

GSGf1c3h.jpg

VwlJXZJh.jpg

KRnvOiRh.jpg

pUE5puTh.jpg

wOld5Vlh.jpg

brNgiSQh.jpg

Day 4 - More Reykjavik and Leaving

I had a late afternoon flight, leaving myself with most of the day to spend in Reykjavik. This was my planned sightseeing in the city day, but I'd already done that on the first day. I saw a bit more of it this time around though, and the weather had totally cleared up. Here are some pictures of mostly the same stuff you scrolled past earlier, but with sunshine:

N9d2cwfh.jpg

5tTAlv8h.jpg

rjQ3DXJh.jpg

4XKnA7kh.jpg

Ed1Ts8xh.jpg

V1Z9oiEh.jpg

BinS3zEh.jpg

zXqFToBh.jpg

hMkRIamh.jpg

KSKOAdXh.jpg

nn8X6fjh.jpg

tXis4uxh.jpg

RgmN3jMh.jpg

rUGi2FAh.jpg

oHqY6b1h.jpg

Iceland then. Gorgeous place. I was there at peak season, so it was very busy, but that was expected. Reykjavik was a lovely little city and the scenery of the country as a whole is obviously pretty spectacular. I had a flight that evening from Reykjavik to Oslo, Norway being another new-to-me country. With the flight and time difference, it was around midnight by the time I got the hotel, but all easy enough since there was an easy train from the airport into the city and I'd chosen a hotel near the main train station.

Norway

Day 5 - Tusenfryd and Oslo

I'd only given myself a couple of days in Norway, which I'm now regretting slightly as it would have been nice to have seen more of the country. This was the only full day I had, having booked a bus out of there the following evening, so I headed out to Tusenfryd, which was very easy: a regular bus from the main bus station, which itself is located next to / behind the train station.

I got there shortly before opening, making the decision to head straight to the back/top of the park for the newest coaster, Storm- Dragon Legend, a launched, suspended Gerstlaur thing. Pictures I grabbed on the way:

PGm8g9wh.jpg

r3xoC4Ch.jpg

VKBLsJfh.jpg

BhdVaeNh.jpg

I was first in the queue and headed for a back-row ride for the first train of the day. I've just realised that a bunch of photos have failed to upload, but I don't have them at hand to do again, so whatever. Here are the few that actually uploaded:

tyPopwhh.jpg

PUZuCfWh.jpg

xQQSCGEh.jpg

EE3c5g4h.jpg

f31iJc5h.jpg

It's a really good coaster, probably Gerstlauer's best after Karnan I'd say unless I'm forgetting something right now. It's lap bars only, which makes for quite a disconcerting ride, especially in the back row since you get some quite extensive hang time on the reverse launch as you get right up into the inversion. The airtime hill is really good as well. Plus, you get two full runs through the circuit, so although it's not the longest coaster, you get a decent amount of ride time. It has a few jolty moments - not really a problem since there are no OTSRs - so it'll be interesting to see how it ages.

There weren't many people up at that end of the park that early on, so I grabbed a few rerides. I think there was a single-rider queue, but there was no need to use it at that stage. Operations were excellent as well. Even though it was quiet that early in the day, they just got the train right out with just a handful of riders rather than waiting for more people to fill it.

The nearby mine train coaster was closed, so I headed to Thunder Coaster. It did very little for me on that first ride, but was better later in the day. It meant that I'd collected the full set (three) of the Vekoma woodies at least.

I8YWqRRh.jpg

fhg1sMCh.jpg

cKxGz91h.jpg

From there it was down to a pain-in-the-arse, out-of -the-way area for the water coaster. The people getting off the rapids didn't seem too wet either, so I had a ride on that. Both were decent enough.

kVp9r3lh.jpg

NCsSYPVh.jpg

SNJnolJh.jpg

7dUr8mah.jpg

b34lUW2h.jpg

7yOkyAjh.jpg

There was also a dark ride down at that end with a closed sign out front, but a sign further up the path at the entrance to that area, as well as the park app, had it opening at 12pm. It wasn't too far off at this point, so I stuck around until then, as did a few other people. Nope, it was actually closed.

The mine train had opened though, so I did that and then realised later that I had the cred already since it's a relocation from (I think; can't be arsed to recheck) Italy.

97JzYVKh.jpg

VQVu9U9h.jpg

Xo5Nx0Eh.jpg

This kiddy coaster never opened all day though, which is obviously s**t from the cred count point of view, but far preferable to anything else being closed, and it was the only spite of the trip, so all-in-all I'll take that as a win.

UkMPhavh.jpg

Loopen, while not being anything special, was at least a new ride/layout type for me. Defininetly a one-and-done, and the operations on this were pretty slow as well due the old-school trains needing to have the restraints manually released and the staff on this ride being absolutely in no hurry to do so.

NcnEIwqh.jpg

v5Hqoc1h.jpg

rvgA0ORh.jpg

KIM5ZZNh.jpg

A second ride on Thunder Coaster was marginally better than the first.

pbXzcQth.jpg

Th5bk94h.jpg

This just left Speed Monster, which since hoofing past it earlier in the day had weirdly been slightly forgotten about. This had a bit of a queue, but operations were good and it was only taking about 15 minutes.

gX3ccUQh.jpg

NUl9Sd4h.jpg

OyBGdArh.jpg

lJwiidkh.jpg

aFWSa2zh.jpg

I'd never heard particularly glowing reviews for this ride, but I actually quite liked it. The launch doesn't have that gut punch that you'd usually expect from an Intamin hydraulic, but the rest of the layout was decent enough, with some decent pops of airtime. I did a couple of rides and took a quick break from it to give Thunder Coaster a final chance.

kAzTKOPh.jpg

HHN8TU2h.jpg

Nah. It was definitely better again than earlier, but still not doing a great deal. It was mid afternoon by this point and it had been running constantly for hours, so it was pretty much as "warmed up" as it was going to get. Go ahead and tell me that I'm wrong and I should've gone back to it at 6:59 P.M. I don't care.

I considered heading back up to Storm for a reride, but, forgetting about the single-rider queue, figured that it would be pretty busy by that point, so settled on a Speed Monster reride on the way out.

v57WTrVh.jpg

imLtOErh.jpg

l0vPC6dh.jpg

FUlXMiqh.jpg

fxEcYU1h.jpg

fih1nMYh.jpg

rW5iRc6h.jpg

PaszhiFh.jpg

YdoBCuoh.jpg

The park was open until seven, and it was only around half three at this point, but I decided to call it a day and see a bit of Oslo. I liked this park though. The terrain and layout makes for a bit of a workout in places, but the setting on the hill is really nice. Considering how awful Parque Reunidos can be, I thought it was run really well, with (mostly) quick dispatches from effiecient and friendly ride ops. Storm, which seems to me to have really flown under the radar, is an excellent addition to the park and deserves a bit more attention.

9GeAVtOh.jpg

tznNWrIh.jpg

I got the bus back into the city, a short but very nice ride, and headed to the area around the opera house, checking out the Munch Museum (which I really liked) since it still had a couple of hours until closing. They have two of the four original versions of "The Scream" along with hundreds of other works by Munch. From there it was a bit more of a wander around the city for a couple of hours before heading back to the hotel. It was much bigger than Reykjavik, but all still very walkable.

W9YX7xbh.jpg

AMV6uhRh.jpg

Os946Gnh.jpg

hCAwXayh.jpg

XVpv2B0h.jpg

w67Yi9sh.jpg

IW8aOpKh.jpg

j9L4t7Wh.jpg

FlM6PKih.jpg

7cXagl6h.jpg

HExPpLIh.jpg

EIUlzF4h.jpg

Odl60jHh.jpg

6MrHcijh.jpg

Klu5Uabh.jpg

7eE7vWch.jpg

FeRAyWhh.jpg

2gLdTuZh.jpg

Eve0BuXh.jpg

kJFC762h.jpg

Ftzi8Pah.jpg

Day 6 - More Oslo

As I'd done with Reykjavik, and as I continued to do for this trip, I'd booked to head out of the city in the late afternoon/early evening so had time to go out and do/see some more stuff. This consisted of another wander into the city and then down to the national museum down at the waterfront, which had another "Scream" - this time the very first one - and a bunch of other stuff. While I was down there, I booked myself onto a boat cruise since I still had loads of time and had had enough of walking around.

fiSLL9Mh.jpg

7fyaPWVh.jpg

QESgUo4h.jpg

12fe6UHh.jpg

34qqB9bh.jpg

7Q5bu7Hh.jpg

tkv0onfh.jpg

uIWmgaGh.jpg

a71D2cCh.jpg

wmNynrYh.jpg

SvrCMuEh.jpg

yD9YgSRh.jpg

SSKlGBth.jpg

1dqs7RYh.jpg

ggbs4NPh.jpg

9rr0rj4h.jpg

GavAB1Hh.jpg

GwoEbljh.jpg

fgFPQpkh.jpg

T1MrS1Mh.jpg

w8hjTT9h.jpg

s63XUE3h.jpg

T0t0B3Bh.jpg

oZSId1oh.jpg

Sr4ZfVXh.jpg

FKOadAdh.jpg

18ne18qh.jpg

u5c0fGYh.jpg

I really liked Oslo as well. From previous reports, I'd not been expecting much. I'd heard very little praise for the place, with it being made to sound quite concrete/functional/industrial. I was expecting a Scandinavian Birmingham to be honest, but it wasn't like that at all; it was really nice.

I got a bus from there down to Gothenburg. It took about the same amount of time as the train would have but was quite a bit cheaper, and the bus stations/train stations of each city were conveniently right next to each other anyway. It was also almost empty, so was very quiet and comfortable.

This is already way too much for one post, so I'll come back to this later.

Iceland is high up on my to visit list (I applied for a job there a few years back...); it's nice to see a little TR about doing it solo - thanks for that!

Happy to see some more Storm love on here. It was very much the "sleeper hit" addition of 2023 in my opinion. When I visited Tusenfryd last year I enjoyed it quite a lot too; whether it's turned around in recent years to shake off its bad reputation, or that rep just isn't justified I dunno. But yeah, it's a neat park.

Real shame the dark ride wasn't open - it's by no means world class, but a proper cracker of a ride

I'm generally not the biggest fan of doing tours, but since I don't drive it was the only realistic way of getting to see stuff. Even if I did drive, doing it this way would be far cheaper than hiring a car anyway.

Not that it’s any of my f—ing business, but is there a reason you don’t drive or do you just prefer to avoid it? Not that you’d need to most of the time when there are other options. But your US trips have left me curious about it as public transit here is abysmal for park trips outside Florida.

I’m interested to hear the routes you ended up doing in Finland (thinking about a trip next year). I’m hoping there’s a simple route to get up to Powerland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk