What's new

Rhyl Cred Whoring PTR

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
My summer holiday is over, so it’s time to get started on trip reports from the last few weeks rather than get started on any real work that I should be doing.

I went back to my delightful hometown of Wrexham – recently upgraded to a “city”, which has changed precisely nothing about the place – and needed to get out of the house after a couple of days. My pre-covid summer routine was always to head back for a week or so before heading off for a bit, but by the second day I’m always ready to f**k off out of there. A few crappy +1s have appeared on the North Wales coast, so I decided to get a train to Rhyl and grab a few.

I realised that I wouldn’t need a huge amount of time when I got there, so instead got the train further along the coast to Colwyn Bay and then walked back to Rhyl from there. Killing time and a bit of exercise innit. It was roughly a 20km walk and was all very pleasant, along part of a coastal path that runs pretty much the whole length of the North Wales coast.

cMgpzSl.jpg

iLFSdB5.jpg

f91OcND.jpg

8z3rxZm.jpg

M2o3lQM.jpg

Tjxuoo8.jpg

5poHaId.jpg

EEZpJQS.jpg

Coming from that direction, you hit Knightley’s Amusements in Towyn. This being a weekday just prior to the school holidays, I’d checked the website - which I was surprised they even had - to make sure it would even be open. It was. They’ve replaced their previous powered dragon with another kiddy thing.

2pzsJ6W.jpg

r7xA0B0.jpg

Mnv8f0r.jpg

JViBlcm.jpg

gH9IfOi.jpg

eoEH9Yj.jpg

Rx8RLkh.jpg

Not far away is Funland, previously known as Williams Amusements, previously known as Tir Prince. There were, I thought, 3 new creds here since last time, but right after riding it, I found out that Magic Mouse is just the old death cred from Lightwater Valley, so only a +2 for me here.

Mpg0FqZ.jpg

NMfMIev.jpg

4PLOSPm.jpg

tzq5BfL.jpg

NJmM3QL.jpg

DQjJxbL.jpg

gG9Ha0s.jpg

bMZ2zzl.jpg

I’ve also just realised that the wacky worm isn’t the 2022 Happy Caterpillar that I’ve checked off on Coaster-Count, but another new wacky worm for 2023. RCDB have changed the info sometime between my visit and now. I'll have to change that, but still a +1 regardless, so it doesn't f**k up the count.

From there it was on a bit further into Rhyl itself and to the small funfair there. There was another new-since-last-time wacky worm, but the park was closed. Ugh.

ogbcUja.jpg

jKJ4gDU.jpg

Lkdo3qE.jpg

dSpWPQX.jpg

mMfECtv.jpg

jr56tmE.jpg

Oh well, I’ve another excuse to go to delightful Rhyl next year I guess – not that any is needed for that wonderful place - and maybe Funland/William’s Amusements/Tir Prince/Whatever They Call It Next will replace their wacky worm yet again.

Matt N

CF Legend
This might sound like a stupid question, but is this structure some sort of SBNO drop tower or observation tower?

It certainly bears a resemblance to one, although it seems surprisingly big for a drop or observation tower in a park of the stature of any of the ones in Rhyl, from what I’ve heard.

On a more related note, I’m glad you had a fruitful afternoon of cred-hunting in North Wales!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This might sound like a stupid question, but is this structure some sort of SBNO drop tower or observation tower?

It certainly bears a resemblance to one, although it seems surprisingly big for a drop or observation tower in a park of the stature of any of the ones in Rhyl, from what I’ve heard.

On a more related note, I’m glad you had a fruitful afternoon of cred-hunting in North Wales!
It used to be an observation tower. I can't remember exactly when it was built, but I went on it a couple of times as a kid in the early '90s. I think it closed around 10 years ago, maybe a bit more.

It was never part of a park, just a standalone attraction on the sea front.