What's new

Rattling trains.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
This topic was caused by my friend making a rubbish joke. I was stood in a queueline saying 'Maybe we could come back later, when it is slightly quieter.' My friend replied 'But the rollercoaster will always be this noisy.'

The question is, if the queue is quieter, and there are less people on each train (in this case, nemesis always fills up because of the SRQ), would less weight make a train quieter or rattle around less?

I think it would make it quieter, because less people = slower trains = less noise and also less weight means less strain on the track.

My friend thinks it would rattle more, because the less weight would mean it was held against the rails less, which would make it jump up and down more.
Of course, on nemesis, being a B+M, the wheels are almost always in contact with the track anyway.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I'm inclined to agree with your friend on this one. I've always found that that is the case on Colossus. You can apply the same logic to roughness. That's why I always try to get in a train with heavy poeple!

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
To me, there is no difference because of the fact that the trains wieght in at a couple of tons and a little more wieght would not have that much of a difference, to me.
On another note, wasnt Dueling Dragons loaded with sand in the track to reduce the noise level? or was it a different coaster?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Most B&Ms built near houses are. Like Medusa (SFDK), Dæmonen, Talon, etc.

Lofty

CF Legend
So you just hear the fantastic roar instead :lol: !

I don't know if I am right with this but... If you compare say B&M trains with vekoms or something... Doesn't B&M coasters have spring loaded wheels, that can kinda absorb any rattling in the car and make a smoother ride, compared to Vekoma's which don't?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
-lofty- said:
So you just hear the fantastic roar instead :lol: !

The point of the sand is to reduce the roar, it doesn't affect any potential rattling of the trains.

-lofty- said:
I don't know if I am right with this but... If you compare say B&M trains with vekoms or something... Doesn't B&M coasters have spring loaded wheels, that can kinda absorb any rattling in the car and make a smoother ride, compared to Vekoma's which don't?

Yes.

Snoo

The Legend
^Nice answer.

Well, from personal experience, I've found coasters which are more inclined to rattle (woodies, Vekoma's, Arrow's) all tend to be a little bit worse with less people, but nothing which would kill you.

I've never found that to be true on B&M's or Intamins.