What's new

Rank the Six Flags Parks

BBH

Giga Poster
We have a Cedar Fair topic going, and we all love mirror topics, so let's have a topic where we embrace the parking lot theming, overpriced food, and over-commercialized atmosphere that is the glory of the Six Flags chain of parks.

(Rank the parks, if you've forgotten where we're going with this.)

For me, it's...

1) SFGM - Only been here, but they have a nice diverse coaster selection (apart from the two mice in one park, just, WTF?). They could, however, benefit from a new woodie, a GCI akin to Apocalypse. (Old Terminator, we don't want Wolf again THAT badly.)

peep

CF Legend
I've been to three and really don't understand all the hate towards them.

1 - SFGAdv, great park filled with good coasters. Lots of greenery and interesting attractions, shame I didn't get more time to explore properly and maybe even see their safari thing.

2 - SFNE, loved this park, it just felt like a nice place to be. It also had a GIB which are clearly the best things ever.

3 - SFA, more bare and boring compared to the other two but had some good rides.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They're all rank. Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa[/sigh]

1. SFGAdv
2. SFNE

I liked both actually (same as Peep) and would happily have either replace any theme park in the UK other than Alton... Actually, I'd swap Alton for SFGAdv if they chucked in a free pen.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Been to all, and most more than once.
6FGAm (Yeah, I'm biased, but it really is very good)
6FDK - really surprised how awesome the employees were at this park
6FGAdv - El Toro
6FMexico - pleasantly surprised how nice this park is.
6FoT
6FoG
6FNE - Superzzaro, and I actually like the floorless.
6FFT - maybe if I had seen some of the shows?
6FStL - decent enough. It's really faded in my memory, despite having been like 5 times.
Great Escape - If only 6F would maintain the old theming stuff instead of continually removing it.
6FA - I had two very pleasant visits, so I don't get the complaints. Layout is crap, though.
6FMM - ridiculously awesome collection of coasters. The staff and lack of much to do outside of those coasters kills it. I used to love this park in the 90's, but it has really fallen in my estimation as I've been to more parks in and out of the 6F chain.

LaRonde - worst employees, dirty, horrible operations. The coasters cannot save this park's reputation in my mind.

I actually also went to Darien Lake, Frontier City, 6FWoA, 6FHolland, 6FBelgium, Parque Warner Madrid and that FFC in Georgia when 6F owned them, but I've left them off here.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I've only been to Six Flags New England. Even though by favorite coaster Bizarro is there I'm not really fond of the park. I love Bizarro and Batman: The Dark Knight. I like Gotham City Gauntlet, Thunderbolt, and Pandemonium but everything else is just whatever to me. Flashback, Mind Eraser, and Goliath I dislike all vekomas. Goliath is the best of the three but I still don't care for it. The two kiddie/family coasters are whatever and i don't like Cyclone either. I think my not liking of the park is the fact I've been to it so many times.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Have a short list that you won't read:

1. Magic Mountain: Great park with a fantastic coaster selection. I'm not disputing the crappy staff and operations, but I clearly got lucky as I experienced none of that and managed to ride all the coasters - except Batman and Superman, which were closed, and some kiddy coaster - despite not arriving until the early afternoon.

2. Great Adventure: El Toro is amazing. Ka is great on the first ride, but quickly loses its appeal. Decent selection amongst all the other coasters as well.

3. Saint Louis: Again a decent ride selection, with Mr Freeze and Evil Knievel both being excellent. The Batman clone here was, somehow, better than the one at Great Adventure as well. Nice park.

4. New England: One amazing coaster and that's it. The floorless was ok, and everything else was s**te. Horrible park.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I completely agree with gavin on the only SF park that I've visited, Magic Mountain. I think it was actually really nice and I've also managed to do almost all of the major rides (except Green Lantern). I just don't get all the hate about it...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Six Flags Magic Mountain - One of the best roller coaster selections in the world, and an all round easy-to-navigate amusement park. I don't get too worried about how good or bad the staff are, as it has clearly been determined that Six Flags staff operate on a far inferior level of existence. I judge their performance against that baseline, than say a baseline of a normal living human.

2. Six Flags Fiesta Texas - Weird, right? It is quite a charming park that has seen a large does of new attractions between Goliath, Iron Rattler, and their new Sky Screamer. The setting inside the quarry is also one of the most unique in the world, and dare I say stunning.

3. Six Flags Over Texas - The original Six Flags, and quite a good one at that. Big roller coasters and brisket - what else do you need?

4. Six Flags Over Georgia - A fun park with a great selection of rides. Nothing unique compared to other Six Flags parks, outside of the best drop tower in the world.

5. Six Flags St. Louis - It is a good park, but probably more "generic" than others.

Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised with my visits to Six Flags parks. They receive so much spite and criticism that I half expect the ride staff to be putting babies on spikes and extinguishing their cigarettes on their forearm. I have had genuinely good experiences and enjoyed myself at all the parks I have visited.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Only been to SFNE. Bizarro is amazing, and I think Goliath is really good. Unlike others, I quite liked Cyclone, because of the roughness, and a nice classic woodie feel. Thunderbolt is also a fun woodie, with some decent airtime. Batman is meh, but I surprisingly enjoyed Gotham City Gauntlet. I found Pandemonium boring, and Flashback and Mind Eraser are ****. All they to do is get rid of the boomerang and replace the SLC with a Batman Clone.

njn63

Mega Poster
SFGAm - Biased answer. Good mix of coasters, a decent water park, well maintained older rides. Not much I would change and I go there way too much.
SFGAdv - Great coasters but horrible park layout. Tons of pinch points where crowds converge and walkways that dead end.
SFSTL - Decent coasters and decent park layout. I had a good time here but it isn't as good of a park as the other ones.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Six Flags Great Adventure (Jackson, New Jersey, USA) - El TORO! :D (and Medusa, before they screwed it up)
Six Flags Great America (Gurnee, Illinois, USA) - just an all around nice park
Six Flags Over Georgia (Austell, Georgia, USA) - good park, good coasters
Six Flags Magic Mountain (Valencia, California, USA) - awful park, great coasters!
La Ronde (Montréal, Québec, Canada) - so many rarer flats! and an ok Jr.Hyper
The Great Escape (Queensbury, New York, USA) - <3 although SF keeps messing with what made this park great... also COMET!
Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - IDK, nice, HOT, let me ride Iron Rattler and maybe I'll rerate it.
Six Flags New England (Agawam, Massachusetts, USA) - Ugh, ex-local Six Flags park... just seen it fall amazingly from grace.
Six Flags America (Upper Marlboro, Maryland, USA) - lolol, its really not that bad... its just not that good either.
Six Flags St. Louis (Eureka, Missouri, USA) - terrible.

Six Flags Darien Lake (Darien Center, New York, USA) - No longer SF - Pretty OK, lots of flats

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (Louisville, Kentucky, USA) - No longer SF, SBNO - Waayyy better than people made it seem!
American Adventures (Marietta, Georgia, USA) - No longer SF, SBNO - Kiddie park next to an amazing waterpark!

Six Flags Worlds of Adventure (Aurora, Ohio, USA) - No longer SF, gone, realistically - ehhh

Mike

Giga Poster
7. Six Flags St. Louis
6. Six Flags America
5. Six Flags New England
4. Six Flags Magic Mountain
3. Six Flags Great Adventure
2. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
1. Six Flags Great America

I won't do explanations, as nobody reads them.

Edward M

Strata Poster
1. SFoG- it is a mix of great rides and beautiful surroundings. It is one of my favorite seasonal parks
2. SFoT- The original. beautiful park with wonderful operations. Even with **** rides, it is still a very good park and probably better with New Texas Giant (which wasn't built when I went)
3. SFSL- the park's woods were amazing and most rides hugged around them, but it didn't have good operations or very good coasters
4. SFGAdv- I don't care that it has El Toro and Nitro, it is ****! It has **** operations and jackass teenagers running the park. I asked where the bathroom was and they refused to tell me! It was hard to find in the middle of **** nowhere! a terrible park. One of my least favorite parks.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
1) SFMM: This is my favourite park. The park itself may not be the nicest,and the most well themed and the rides may have inconsistent operations, but the selection of coasters is just out of this world. I'd say there are atleast 9 or 10 good or great coasters at the park not including superman (because i haven't ridden it.)

2) SFNE: I decent park at which i had a good day at. Bizarro is great, though i feel i would appreciate it even more if i rode it again now. Batman, pandemonium and cyclone (front seat) are all good coasters and the rapids was also pretty good. Nothing compared to magic mountain, but it's an above average overall park and the addition of goliath will have given another great coaster.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
1. SFoT- Giant, enough said.
2. SFGAm- I loved it when I went. V2 was closed, and it was in 2005, so it's been quite a while, but it left a great impression.
3. SFMM- Most visited for me, and I love it so much, but I hate the operations that much more.

Jer

Strata Poster
1. SFGAdv - Living 45min away kind of puts this one at a bias, I do enjoy going there every now and then, and I always enjoy a good ride on El Toro
2. SFMM - I dont remember everything, but from what I remember it was a very nice park...for six flags
3. SFNE- Almost the worst SF park i've been to, but Bizzaro saved it completely.
4. SFA - **** this park.

Mike

Giga Poster
Jer said:
it was a very nice park...for six flags

When I see a comment like this, I always think the poster is getting Six Flags confused with Cedar Fair. I find the majority of Six Flags parks to be fairly nice. :?

AquaTrax

Mega Poster
1. Six Flags Over Georgia: Beautiful surrounding area, and has Goliath and Acrophobia. Enough said here.

2. Six Flags Great Adventure: El Toro and Nitro are both awesome coasters that are in my top ten. I really enjoyed the safari part and Kingda Ka is great as well, in my top 30.

3: Six Flags Great America: I don't know why, I just had a really great time here. X-Flight is amazing, Viper had a lot of unexpected airtime, Batman The Ride is THE original inverted coaster so you have to love it (I enjoy Batman clones a lot, too.) Vertical Velocity is great and also Raging Bull is horrible.

4. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom: I love this park. It has a decent selection and wonderful sealife. It is like Six Flags version of SeaWorld.

5. Six Flags St. Louis: I went before American Thunder or Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast so it's probably better now but it was a bit dull. The Batman clone is my 2nd favorite one behind Batman La Fuga though. Mr. Freeze was great but probably better now that it goes backwards. I'm going here this year anyway.

6. Six Flags Belgium: I went when it was Six Flags so I'm counting it. I didn't really like it. I just didn't.

7. Six Flags Magic Mountain: Great selection, horrible operations, workers, and cleanliness. Overall as a park it is horrible besides X2, Tatsu, and Apocalypse (went before Green Latern First Flight).

8. Six Flags America: You already know why.

I am going to La Ronde, Six Flags New England, Great Escape, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and Six Flags Over Texas this year! It will complete my currently open Six Flags parks record.

Edit: Forgot about Six Flags Mexico, I'd put it between Six Flags Great Adventure and Six Flags Great America as #3 because it is a surprisingly REALLY good park! Superman El Ultimo Escape is my favorite Morgan Hyper coaster, The Joker is one of the very best themed coasters I've been on as well as the best Spinning Coaster, The bathrooms are THE BEST park bathrooms ever, and Batman The Ride is the 2nd smoothest Vekoma SLC ever behind Vortex at Siam City Park in Bangkok, Thailand.