What's new

Question about drop rides.

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Hey all.
I dont know if this is a decent enough question or me being dumb as hell, but was wondering was is it that certain drop rides, say Det' at Thorpe has OTSR's but drop towers such as the ToT rides dont?

Cheers in advance!!!

Snoo

The Legend
I would venture a guess that, because of the type of car (enclosed vesus 200ft on nothing but a seat) might have something to do with it.

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Thats what i thought because of the forces of being outside VS being enclosed, but it cant be that differnt surely?

Also does the ToT family have assisted breaking or are they like the genral outside drop tower, by gravity and hitting the breaks at the bottom, would this be a factor also?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I <3 this man!
UC, you are the best at explaining technical jargon in a way that anyone can understand.

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Cheers UC,
Yah to be honest i understood what you were talking about!!!! and now see the ToT family in a whole new light.

But sadly to say (in my eyes anyways dont know if its just be being dumb or what lol) the main question i was wanting to be answered was the fact of why do drop rides have OTSR's and the ToT family dont? is it because of that the ToT family is all controlled? (i know that the ToT's have heafty seat belt mech,s but still)

cheers for the explanation though always up for new info to annoy my mates with :wink: lol

Slash

Giga Poster
You know you were saying the VVCs turn the cars in the 5D rooms. When it travels through. I saw a video showing it was laser guided :S.

Maybe I just read your explanation a tad wrong.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
That laser-type unit is called a 'pickup'.

Basically, there is a wire embedded in the floor, which acts as a track-guide and the VVC's pickup follows this.

A good example of this system can be found on many of the later Sally Corp attractions. Although not as advanced as ToT, it works on the same principle.

Check this video out -

http://www.sallycorp.com/ASX/tut_h.asx

Slash

Giga Poster
Yeah I understood it was guided by a wire but how do the VVCs fit into that mechanism if they are moving the wire? Unless the wire moving moves the car?