What's new

Project 305 - Intimidator 305 "Transformation"

I sort of like thunder Striker as a name. Fits the whole vibe of Carowinds, and the backstory actually really makes sense. Wish there was a new color scheme, as seeing that just gives me DEI vibes. Maybe a brown and gray color scheme with yellow trains and accents would have looked better. I would guess a name change for I305 as well since the DEI licensing was more than likely the same for both. I305 sounds fine, just keep that. If not, I have always though GigaByte is a cool name,

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^Probably the former; the rides were marketed & introduced in 2009, so it tracks that it would have been a 15-year deal. I305 losing the Intimidator name makes sense, as the whole area is (likely) going to the Jungle Xpedition theme. I'd've expected the Carowinds one to keep the name since that's more proper NASCAR country, but obviously the investment wasn't deemed worthy. Carowinds' decision to rebrand their B&M Hyper to a name that could also apply to bumper cars, that's a different discussion.

As for "Project 305", I'm kind of hoping that they go the route of Kings Island's Area 72; turn I305 into a space-ish theme (Polaris?) and bring Flight of Fear into it as well. I'd be incredibly cautious trying to slap an animal/jungle theme on it.. just don't know how you do that.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Still to be seen what they meant by "the look and feel of the coaster will evolve". Well, thinking about it, if they cut on the maintenance budget as well, there is certainly some truth to it... ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well that's completely uninteresting in every possible way...

🙄

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Truly can't decipher how much sarcasm is being thrown around in this thread... 'Project 305' is very clearly the placeholder name for this season (or two) until the proper retheme, incorporating it into Jungle Xpedition, occurs. That entrance sign is no indicator of it being the permanent name; it'll be thrown away just like the printed park maps with the P305 name, once the actual retheme happens.

davidm

Strata Poster
"Placeholder" or not, "Project 305" _IS_ the ride's name now and not (just) the name of the "project" to rename/re-theme the ride.

And that's all rather unexciting.

emoo

Hyper Poster
It's more inspired to me than the random word generator Thunder Striker, not that I'm impressed. We shall see if they can come up with something better given a couple of years thinking time.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh dear - I fear they're going with the "Project" theme continuity they used for Orion, built on the trope that each "Project" (aka roller coaster or major thrill attraction) is some advanced science experiment. (photo from Orion queue below)

This bit has a downside: Very few people will understand any actual thematic continuity. You can call it a coaster enthusiast Easter egg if you want, but to me, it's just lazy copy-paste theming.