What's new

PortAventura Confirms Sesame Street for 2011

marc

CF Legend
Found this on Screamscape.

According to this article about PortAventura, they confirm that the park will build a new 1.5 hectares “playground” site in 2011 that will be themed to Sesame Street characters.

It is also meant to have family rides as well, but that has not been confirmed yet.

The article is in Spanish so I did not post it.

Here is the link to the map though http://www.portaventura.es/uploads/file ... a-Park.pdf

Is this going to be enough to get more people in the park? It would not make me go back but for people with familes it could help. problem is I do not think it will be enough if people are making a choice between here and DLP.

I'm not so sure this is about making people come back. It's more to make people come in the first place. Port Aventura has a massive pull for enthusiasts with Dragon Khan, Furius Baco and Hurukan Condor (along with some of their other good coasters and rides), however that was all I remember seeing advertised for it. All the big posters and stuff were all showing pictures of Dragon Khan, Hurukan Condor and Baco (though that was new the summer we went). I think this is more about making it appeal to families, than trying to get previous visitors back.

I'm not sure this will be enough, and I worry that they might over look the need for another big new coaster. Don't get me wrong, this'll help pull in families, but when I visited a couple of years ago most of the people at the park seemed to be teenagers and young adults. Then again, I don't know if that was just my experience.

If you look at the attendence figures from last year they were down and by some way from other years.

I think I worded that badly about people returning tbh, but a good part of park attendance does come from people returning and the sale of year passes.

I reckon it'll get people to come. It'll attract more families with younger children. Just look at the success Thomas Land has been for Drayton.
I'm hopefully going to Port Aventura for the first time in October.

Weren't they planning to get a Eurofighter as well? Or was that just a rumour?

problem is I do not think it will be enough if people are making a choice between here and DLP.

Think this a bit far-fetched... Two completely different kinds of theme park, in two completely different countries. I would compare it more to people That would choose either going to PA or...... somewhere else in Salou or near it.

Also, from my point of view, I didnt think Seasame St was very popular these days? I thought it was more retro, and just really watched in America. I don't know if its big in the rest of Europe, but I don't think it'll be a selling point for Brits.

I looked at it this way.

People from the UK and other places in Europe are planning a weekend away to a theme park. They have a choice DLP or here. Where would they pick?

Yes one park is in France the other Spain, but at the moment people have to pick one of them as they cannot afford both. Both are advertsied as resorts, both have hotels etc but which one are families going to go to. This is what I mean.

At one time people used to go to PA just for the weekend and now they are not. This is not just the parks fault, its the current economic climate. But they need to do something to make people think to go there and not Paris.

I remember Furie saying when we were there it is not somewhere he would rush back to with the family, and tbh would an 8 or 10 year old who is tall small for the big rides be happy with this new land? Probably not.

Yes the park needed something but I persoanlly do not think it needed this, and tbh the land does not fit into anything the park has.

This could potentially be quite fun, if they theme it well and have some good midcard flats e.g. rides grown ups dont mind too much either like pirate ships etc.

Everything else in the park is really well themed so this should be, but just like all the Thomas Land stuff the theming is designed by an outside company so it is the same in every park. The theming will probably be the same as what has gone into the other parks in the USA that have Sesame Street.

Maybe with the new land, they're trying to entice local custom instead? It's a move to ensure more Spanish people (particularly families) visit?

They know they can't rely on foreign trade so much, so are going for a narrower spectrum?

I think the main problem with PA is it's location. Once upon a time, British families (in particular) were happy to flock to the **** hole of Salou in search of a week of sun and cheap booze. However, the resort (if you can call it that) has gone downhill and seems to be getting worse and worse (if that's possible!).

Trends have changed and the sun sea and sex type holiday is less popular than it once was. Also, I think people are getting bored of the Costas. Why go somewhere you've been before (and is essentially like going to a seaside resort in the UK anyway) when for the same money, or a tiny bit more, you can go somewhere a bit different and further afield. Somewhere like Turkey or Croatia, for example.

I think this is a good move for PA, as one way to help increase their gate numbers could be to increase it's appeal. As Furie said, it might also help to entice in more locals. However, I think the only way they can really improve in the long term is to spend some of the money investing in the local area. I get the feeling they've probably already helped out to improve transport links etc, and I know there are the on-site hotels, but surely there's some kind of other project they could invest in to help raise the quality and profile of the local area?

Does anyone know whereabouts in the park it's going? Judging from the map it looks like it's going in that tiny bit with a couple of rides near Dragon Khan, can anyone confirm?

So Busch Gardens Tampa got a Sesame Street area for 2010 and now PA are getting one for 2011? Surely there's something more modern out there that kids are really into at the moment. Like what has already been said, Sesame Street is a retro and, strictly speaking, American kids TV show, I don't recall ever watching an episode? I mean, obviously we all know the characters and they've come back into fashion because of Topman etc printing the characters on t-shirts but still....

I'd prefer to have seen PA come up with a new completely original kid orientated land, with a completely original theme unique to the park, rather than just invest in an out-dated franchise, I mean, look at Merlin's examples in Mutiny Bay and Wild Asia, both stylised versions of themes which could easily fit into PA and both of which could be adapted to appeal directly to, say, an age 10 and under audience. To me it would not only fit better into PA's overall theme but would also offer something brand new rather than a tired regurgitation. It's just laziness in my opinion.

Rather then just retype my own take on stuff that has already been said...

furie said:
Maybe with the new land, they're trying to entice local custom instead? It's a move to ensure more Spanish people (particularly families) visit?

They know they can't rely on foreign trade so much, so are going for a narrower spectrum?

Definitely concievable. It would be interesting to know whether Sesame is big over in Spain?

vadge said:
I think the main problem with PA is it's location. Once upon a time, British families (in particular) were happy to flock to the hole of Salou in search of a week of sun and cheap booze. However, the resort (if you can call it that) has gone downhill and seems to be getting worse and worse (if that's possible!).

Couldnt agree more. it seems to be a common theme amongst all of those places to be honest. They certainly are a far cry from what I remember in my late teens - which wasn't exactly a high standard back then either.

Which like you have and Furie have said, suggests they can no longer rely on the Brit trade milking the sun, sea, sand and sangria. They need to get their own people through the door. Whether Sesame Street is going to do that is a bit of a weird notion. Personally, I don't see it, but then, I never watched the show.

nadroJ said:
I'd prefer to have seen PA come up with a new completely original kid orientated land, with a completely original theme unique to the park, rather than just invest in an out-dated franchise, I mean, look at Merlin's examples in Mutiny Bay and Wild Asia, both stylised versions of themes which could easily fit into PA and both of which could be adapted to appeal directly to, say, an age 10 and under audience. To me it would not only fit better into PA's overall theme but would also offer something brand new rather than a tired regurgitation. It's just laziness in my opinion.

AMEN TO THAT!

However, as much as I agree that I would much rather see an original concept in place the benefit of having a pre-exisiting franchise set up shop in your park is enticing. Especially in the current financial climate. Much like Drayton Manor did with Thomas Land, this Sesame Street will come as a predesigned package that will probably save them a fair whack on the design process. Would the makers of Sesame Street even contribute to construction as they will be make bucket loads from merchandising at a later point etc??? Plus, it is self marketing to a degree. As you say, everyone is already familiar with Sesame Street to a certain level. Therefore you haven't got to worry about introducing new characters/stories/ideas etc. All that work is done already so the marketing can be a walk in the park too. Making it cheaper for them.

They may even entice in new guests that wouldn't normally visit a park. There are some out that are huge fans that will go simply because it is their 'thing' they like. Harry Potter land is getting the same response. Thousands are going or planning to go. Because they like theme parks? Because they want to ride the rides? Nope, purely becase it is Harry Potter and their fandom dictates that they must see it... (I know this is the case... Im one of them :p (Side note - I do also want to ride the rides and of course I like theme parks).

In terms of the DLP/PA discussion. I can only really go on my own feelings here.
I would choose DLP over PA if offered the chance of heading abroad for a weekend - this is despite the weather being worse in Paris too.
Does the announcement of a Sesame Street land going into PA entice me to consider diverting to PA rather than DLP. Not in the slightest. Which is what a lot of people will think and to that end, is what I think Marc was getting at in the first place.

Also related to what Marc said; If you look at it that a British family are deciding to go somewhere abroad with the kids for the weekend to have a short break, BOTH DLP and PA are obvious choices. Both are resorts, both are advertised in the UK and are appealing to Brits, both are brilliant places for a weekend getaway and both have similar type attributes (rides, shows etc etc).

The point being, which would they chose and is PA doing enough to entice people away from those Mouse Ears....

As Mark said, the choice of Sesame Street is clearly all about money. I don't know the ins and outs of the agreement, or how it came about... but the park have already got the rights to the characters. They already do regular meet and greets with the characters from the show and sell a lot of the merch in their shops. If this is also a pre-designed, off-the-shelf product, then that'll save even more money.

Hopefully it'll be good enough though. Lets face it, if they need to cut costs on a new development, I would sooner they do it like this rather than in other ways... or to just not bother.

Sesame Street is being built next to Tami-Tami, which is SBNO at the moment with the track wrapped in plastic! The whole area is fenced off, including the path up to Tami, I would assume it'll be re-opening and rethemed to fit Sesame street.

It's hard to get a look at what's going on, but I did manage to get this vid from the train, you can see Tami-Tami in the back right to give an idea of what direction you're looking in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWF_sWWp0T8[/youtube]

A picture taken over the top of the fence, from near the Pirate ship.

38251_10150225027780463_547425462_13622478_3254721_n.jpg

Dan

Some concept art has emerged:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5656 ... ktower.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/143/ ... tation.jpg

http://www.pa-community.com/p/articulo/ ... io-sesamo/

I'm sure PA will do a great job on this new kids area but I just hope it doesn't interfere too much with the amazingly themed Polynesia area.

Also from Screamscape:
Sesame Street Land - (7/28/10) A few new details about the Sesame Street themed addition have come out. First up is this article where the first stone for the new ‘playground’ was set in place. They mentioned that it would feature new rides, games, a new train station, 300-seat theater, restaurant and more. It was also interesting to note that this 12 million Euro expansion is just 1 part of plans to spend 80 million Euros over the next four years.
Meanwhile some artwork of a few of the new attractions can be found here, which confirm Sesame Street characters are involved.

http://screamscape.com/html/portaventura.htm

Hopefully an awesome new coaster is included in that €80million if true :p !

A few pics have just gone up onto their facebook, although you can't see much it really does look great, the colours and theme just sit so well with the sunny weather!

200084_10150127684479394_89629769393_6177479_555997_n.jpg

189467_10150127683399394_89629769393_6177472_5923367_n.jpg

Link to the album on facebook

And here's a video of construction pics,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIdRznn8xzs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]

That's really excellent, and an area of the park that was a little bland too. Brilliant stuff, much better than I was expecting!

Oh wow, that looks fantastic. Really really impressed by this.

Let's just hope they can keep it looking that nice!