What's new

Number of U.S. Amusement Parks

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
OK, this is a factoid I heard in a TV doc on amusement parks, so I don't have further details (but I can identify the doc). Being a dork, I'll pose it as a question.

The iaapa says there are about 400 amusement parks in the U.S. today; this 1999 doc claims there were about 600 in 1999.

So the question: How many were there in the U.S. in 1919?

A. 55.
B. Over a hundred.
C. About 600.
D. Almost 2000.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster

Mack

Mega Poster
This is likely including trolley parks that usually lasted maybe a couple seasons and had no actual roller coasters. The trolley companies sought a way to make money on weekends and making "trolley parks" was a way to do just that so as to make profit not just Monday-Friday. But this is all before centralization and central record-keeping.

If someone claims to know how many parks there were in 1919, I would be very interested in if they pulled that number out of their own ass or someone else's ass.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
This is likely including trolley parks that usually lasted maybe a couple seasons and had no actual roller coasters. The trolley companies sought a way to make money on weekends and making "trolley parks" was a way to do just that so as to make profit not just Monday-Friday. But this is all before centralization and central record-keeping.

If someone claims to know how many parks there were in 1919, I would be very interested in if they pulled that number out of their own ass or someone else's ass.
It'll have to remain a bit of a proctological conundrum, I'm afraid, as the doc gives no information as to sources.