What's new

New coaster for Kennywood

Now I'm never been to Kennywood, but with this new coaster I might make in a place to hit in 2010. With KD having a new coaster there's more coaster being built in these trouble times.

You should hit it when you get the chance anyway, it's a great park, has that kind of old school type feel you don't get in large scale parks.

It's sad to say, but Premier LSMs never seem to go down well

I think they probably worked out all their kinks back when they had trouble during the seasons when both Mr Freeze coasters were due to open, but didn't..

STC

Mega Poster
I've always thought inverted tophats look more... elegant than outside top hats, I love the way trains slink through them. Strange they're still pretty rare, I guess a lot of parks build tophats (Xcellerator, Stealth, Dragster, Ka) partly because of the view at the top and sense of height, which is probably lacking from these. Still, they look fun.

Kennywood said:
Kennywood’s new launch coaster will feature many exciting and unique features including three inversions and a 0-50mph launch in three seconds! After the high-speed launch, riders will experience a vertical ascent to 95ft before a brief cliffhanger pause at the top and a 90-degree drop into a maximum G-force pullout. The riders then enjoy extended airtime as the train races into an inverted top hat element, passes into a barrel roll and goes vertical again through a twist up leading to another pause.

Riders experience a second vertical free fall followed by another maximum G-force pullout on the way into a highly banked fan curve. After a traditional corkscrew, a curve to a zero gravity hill, and a series of wave turns, riders finally return to the station.

That description of the track layout in the press release is mighty confusing, it must be said. Also why are corkscrews now often called "classic corkscrews"? Is there a new type of corkscrew? :?

I've always thought inverted tophats look more... elegant than outside top hats, I love the way trains slink through them. Strange they're still pretty rare, I guess a lot of parks build tophats (Xcellerator, Stealth, Dragster, Ka) partly because of the view at the top and sense of height, which is probably lacking from these. Still, they look fun.

Yeah, I do sometimes wonder why we don't see more of them because they can definitely be a bit more thrilling than normal top hats, except like you say, if it's on Dragster or something it might ruin the effect of height, etc. You can still see the ground though when you're going through it, so I think it'd be scary from four hundred and som feet up!

That description of the track layout in the press release is mighty confusing, it must be said. Also why are corkscrews now often called "classic corkscrews"? Is there a new type of corkscrew?

Classic just probably makes it sound better :p .

Snoo

The Legend
Meh. It doesn't matter how high the inverted top hat is.. it will never match the normal tophat.

You just get the view you can't get normally.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
From that small screenshot that they show, this inverted tophat looks to be more like a cutback than a tophat. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Then it also needs to be 20 or more metres wider. Also, there would be need for better restraints. Not to mention it defeats the view you get (imagine going through a tall loop). And you can't have a twisted drop, the wheels would get worn out faster, and there would have to be some system to prevent the coaster from balancing on the top.

I'd stick with the original tophat. Going over a top is more sensational than going under it.

(Also, there are no parks that can afford a strata at the moment...)

robbeal

Hyper Poster
^Yeah, ditto. The 2nd vertical drop is the only interesting thing about it, but that still really makes it a lame little version of Sheikra/Griffon. I'll give it a chance though, you never know.

marc

CF Legend
Far to much straight track looking at that picture. But at least they are getting something new.

A

Anonymous

AmandaPanda said:
It's sad to say, but Premier LSMs never seem to go down well :(

But Premier have never built a lsm coaster it's always been lim....

Aww booskis, no backwards section or inverted top hat. Either way, I still think it looks fun and a little different. No top ten or anything, but probably a good little ride none-the-less.

Kennywood needs it, and that's all there is to it.

A

Anonymous

I'm starting college in Pittsburgh in July, and this new coaster intrigues me! I've been waiting for Kennywood to get a new coaster for a while, and now I'm contemplating whether or not to get a season pass. I might go in June before I start college.