What's new

NemesisRider's Grand Days Out (Various UK Parks) - Part 1, Pleasure Beach

NemesisRider

Roller Poster
As much as I love to be off in a foreign country visiting new and exciting parks, financial experts have unfortunately informed me that "you can't just keep spending all of your money on flights and hotels". So, inevitably, I have to look for a theme park fix closer to home. This thread will be gradually updated with shorter trip reports for UK parks, including reviews for cool new additions and inevitable gripes about areas where I think they could do better.

Without further ado:
---
Part 1 - Blackpool Pleasure Beach (August 2024)

I recently realised that in nearly a decade of visiting Pleasure Beach I had never actually bothered to get the Blue Flyer credit and finish the set (an impressive oversight). I ended up going with a friend who hadn't been back since pre-COVID, so took the visit at a slightly less breakneck pace than I usually might. I hadn't been back since 2021, and with an excess of spare time before starting work post-degree, it seemed as good a time as ever to revisit.

BPB02 IMG_3170.jpg

Oh, Pleasure Beach... you are not holding up too well nowadays. But let's start with the good stuff.

I rode Valhalla for the first time since it's reimagining, and it's really fun. I still find it a bit too wet for my personal tastes, especially considering that Blackpool's weather is often wet, windy, cold, or some combination of the three. But the upgrades look great, the fire finale remains awesome, and I think it's reasonable to say it's still the UK's best water ride.

The Wallet & Gromit Thrill-o-Matic remains thoroughly charming and a necessary component in a day at Pleasure Beach. I grew up watching W&G and it's a perfect property for a dark ride. Bonus points for the costumed Wallace character chasing a child around the plaza at one point.

ICON was sadly packing less of a punch than I remembered, but remains easily my favourite ride in the park. It looks just as slick as when it was brand new, it's refreshingly smooth amongst Blackpool's mostly jank coaster hardware, and there's a handful of world class moments (the top hat, the barrel roll, the immelmann). However, the second half was definitely less intense than I recalled, and ended up feeling a bit toothless. Probably more importantly, since 2021 I've travelled more broadly and ticked off rides like Helix and Hyperia, which I find to be much stronger showcases for this type of hardware. I didn't experience Enso as my friend was unsure about it, though I think £15 is a very steep of a price tag for a single ride. Most guests seem to agree with this - I'd bet the spinning seats were empty for at minimum on 3/4 of the trains I saw, which was surprising given ICON's steady 20-30 minute queue throughout the day. I think a cheaper base rate or dynamic pricing would be a better idea if BPB want these spinning seats to get used.

Finally, the Blue Flyer +1 was indeed obtained. I was particularly amused by uncomfortable restraints, which open with a buzzing noise so aggressive it sounds like someone in the queueline has just received the electric chair.

BPB03 IMG_3183.jpg

So, hopefully you are now convinced that I do not, in fact, hate the place. Now for a quick fire round of "WTF BPB?":
- Ride availability left something to be desired. The Big One spent the whole day down due to high winds (annoying, but not the park's fault) and Ice Blast was in pieces.
- More frustratingly, key rides in the park have staggered openings and closes now. Most notably, Valhalla opened at 1pm and ICON closed at 5:30pm (an hour before park close). The latter caught me off guard and ruined my plans of a final reride to end the day, which was even more frustrating given that the queue was fully emptied by 6pm. Especially with their signature ride shut all day, I found this cheap. Why bother opening later if you won't run your big "new" coaster til then?
- The QR code system is noticeably less convenient than the wristbands were.
- The park feels increasingly split between modern attractions (ICON, Valhalla, Skyforce, etc) and classic amusements with variable quality. Of course, rides like the Grand National, Flying Machines and Derby Racer are fan favourites - and rightly so. However, our ride on the Ghost Train in particular left us with the feeling that it was dated, cheap looking and not even worth a 10 minute queue. At least there's the gyro swing to look forward to soon...
- There's just a general vibe of "eh, it'll do" at BPB which leads to it feeling, frankly, cheap. Examples of this include the mediocre operations on most rides, smelly toilets, and the Infusion water level being low enough to see big slabs of bare concrete. I appreciate BPB are not exactly flush for cash, but they need to do better if they want to be a destination park.

BPB01 IMG_3175.jpg

I think the ending of the Thrill-o-Matic puts it best: "well, that went as well as could be expected, Gromit". A fun day at Blackpool for sure, but one leaving me in no rush to be back especially soon.

Part 2 - Alton Towers (August 2024)

As you can probably tell from the username, Alton Towers is my home park. I used to visit about once a month for the good half-decade when I was a Merlin passholder before COVID - at that point, university more or less took over my life so there was little point in me having one. With that said, I've managed a visit or two a year since 2020. With university finally over and Hyperia finally getting me excited about something in the chain, I decided to opt for a Merlin pass once again. Where better to restart my time with the chain than where it began?

AT04 IMG_3208.jpg

Unfortunately, this visit was one of the less fun trips to Towers I've had in recent years. Summer holidays had (admittedly, predictably) packed the park out despite it being midweek, and queues were exacerbated by subpar ride availability. The technical services seemed to be playing a parkwide game of "whack-a-mole", where every time they got one coaster back up and running, another one broke down. As I've been plenty of times before, a single digit ride count isn't exactly the end of the world for me personally, although I do strongly dislike spending the vast majority of my day at a park queuing. Most annoyingly, Nemesis decided to break down at the end of the day when I'd been planning to lap it, giving me only two rides with which to reform my opinion on it. I left the park frustrated and wishing I'd played my cards differently.

For the most part, Towers is basically as I'd remembered and expected. The Smiler continues to be a ride of contrasts, offering a fantastically disorienting layout that tracks like a shopping cart being pushed down a cobbled lane. Rita continues to offer a real gut-punch of a launch which is becoming all too rare nowadays, fast becoming a "must-do" on my visits in recent years as I've found the shakiness more tolerable. Galactica continues to appear in dire need of a repaint and a retheme - despite offering a fun ride, it looks increasingly like it'll be the park's next coaster on the chopping block. The park has a lot to offer and I wish it was open longer for me to enjoy it all!

AT02 IMG_3216.jpg

I do particularly want to commend Towers for the state of Wicker Man. Now back open after the whole "being on fire" fiasco last month, I feel that the ride only seems to be improving as the years go by. It's developed some characterful (but not excessive) roughness which gives it some of the bite it severely lacked in it's early years. Sure, it's not exactly Wodan, but it's well-themed, super rerideable, and just pure fun.

AT06 IMG_3220.jpg

More importantly, my forum namesake was finally back open! Nemesis Reborn is visually a nice refresh in my books, paying homage to the slightly campy 90s horror elements of the original whilst opting for a more industrial, menacing look. The main queue reroute, whilst annoyingly long for rerides, reopens several areas with great offride views. The station is much improved, now feeling more like the heart of the beast than an inexplicable shed in Nemesis' belly. More importantly, it keeps a unique ride running for a new generation, which is the most important thing in my books.

AT05 IMG_3228.jpg

Equally, I do miss bits of the old Nemesis. I did prefer the old track paintjob, which made Nemesis look more ancient and feel more distinct to the similarly militaristic tones of X-Sector. I seem to recall the original being more intense to ride, although this may be my memory tricking me or a consequence of failing to get back row. Finally, I miss the sense of mystery on the original. Take The Nemesis "gun", for example. To me, it was weird and inexplicable and maybe even slightly creepy? The s****y helicopter replacing it is just a really neat visual and provokes no further questions. Reborn seems to be a more black-and-white (or red?) version of the story than Nemesis '94 gave us.

AT01 IMG_3239.jpg

It's clear that the Nemesis refurb has been an undertaking of love, and I think the unfortunate circumstances of my first rides left me with a slightly more negative opinion than it deserves. At the same time, I think that the original may well have been lightning in a bottle which any refresh could not expect to replicate. I will doubtless return to Towers in the near future to get more rides and better inform my view, but for now Hyperia looks set to remain my favourite UK coaster.

AT03 IMG_3254.jpg

Well, that's two English parks in one week leaving me somewhat cold. Might have to go back to continental Europe to console myself...