What's new

Modern Mack Trains (e.g., DC Rivals, Helix)

BigBad

Mega Poster
One of the aspects of B&M trains that I like (and suspect I am not alone) is how open they are. Intamin and RMC have stronger air, but there is something about how open and roomy the B&M trains are that enhances their airtime compared to the tight cars on Intamin and RMC coasters. That my feet do not touch the train floor of a sit-down B&M helps, too (they definitely do on El Toro, Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance, etc).

How do modern Mack trains compare, such as those on DC Rivals or Helix?

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I find the modern Intamin trains way more open than the Mack ones. The Mack ones have a much bulkier lap bar & more upper body bolstering in the seat, so you feel more contained in those. Excluding the spinners, the lap bars are also very top-heavy, so in a moment of strong positives, the restraints tend to staple you. They're not bad, but not my favorite.

BigBad

Mega Poster
I find the modern Intamin trains way more open than the Mack ones. The Mack ones have a much bulkier lap bar & more upper body bolstering in the seat, so you feel more contained in those. Excluding the spinners, the lap bars are also very top-heavy, so in a moment of strong positives, the restraints tend to staple you. They're not bad, but not my favorite.
By modern Intamins, do you mean something like Kondaa? I think the most modern Intamin mega I’ve ridden is Millennium Force (Skyrush has a totally different train, ditto for Maverick), so I cannot compare to Kondaa or even some of the more modern launched Intamins like Taron or Pantheon.

Matt N

CF Legend
I agree with @MLDesigns. Something about the new Intamin trains (experienced on VelociCoaster) makes the rider feel that little bit more exposed than on the Mack trains (experienced on Blue Fire and Icon), and I also felt that the lap bars themselves were more comfortable and tightened less.

The Mack lap bars definitely tighten when exposed to positive g-force in a similar vein to the vest restraints on B&M Wing Coasters, albeit not quite as drastic as that. Whereas I didn’t notice this occurring with the Intamin trains.