What's new

Loch Ness Monster @ BGW to undergo major refurbishment in 2024

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
It's very cool to see BG investing in this aged, legendary coaster.

Out of all the arrow multi loopers still around, this one ranks very highly as one of the few that truly deserves to be preserved for posterity.

And it's just so damn pretty too.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I wonder why they've chosen weld on site rather than bolt together.

Either way, great to see another park looking after it's iconic steel rides.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I wonder why they've chosen weld on site rather than bolt together.
My memory fails me slightly here - and not got time to dig it up properly - but aren't these old Arrow coasters all welded anyway? So if replacing with bolted sections they'd still need to go through and cut the track and weld on the flanges. At that point might be easier just to re-weld the track - not like it hasn't been fine for a few decades already now.

Waits for someone to come and correct me.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My memory fails me slightly here - and not got time to dig it up properly - but aren't these old Arrow coasters all welded anyway? So if replacing with bolted sections they'd still need to go through and cut the track and weld on the flanges. At that point might be easier just to re-weld the track - not like it hasn't been fine for a few decades already now.

Waits for someone to come and correct me.
Yes, they were originally welded. But haven’t recent retracks all seen Arrows converted to bolted for ease of future maintenance? Nothing wrong with welding, of course, just wondering why they’ve chosen this path.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, they were originally welded. But haven’t recent retracks all seen Arrows converted to bolted for ease of future maintenance? Nothing wrong with welding, of course, just wondering why they’ve chosen this path.
Ah, gotcha. Pass.

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by the 'future maintenance' argument. The original welded track has lasted 40-odd years, after all. It's hardly a regular occurrence (in theory).

Must be a logical reason for it - I'm no steelwork fabricator after all.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Premier and ACE are on the IAPPA poster: "Salute to Preservation". Are they doing the track work??

Matt N

CF Legend
Premier and ACE are on the IAPPA poster: "Salute to Preservation". Are they doing the track work??
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I believe that the park confirmed that Premier were behind the Loch Ness Monster retrack, if I’m remembering correctly.

cookie

Giga Poster
The track on both loops are now completely gone

22jaompw671c1.jpg

Dan Nguyen

Mega Poster
Loch Ness Monster opened to passholders today. I took two rides.

The station looks like a ship hangar. There are cranes over the train.
441260786_10231340674889242_8634621464704568632_n.jpg

Some queue theming. This isn't the only display box, but I figured I'd give everyone a taste of things to come. The desk reminds me of the desk in the back offifce at Verbolten.
441266564_10231340674249226_1061378238914659714_n.jpg

441247834_10231340673769214_6416728103211020906_n.jpg

The ride entrance looked good last year but looks better this year.
441364861_10231340672449181_7169808427546830950_n.jpg

This sign was moved. It was originally on the other side of the box.
440941486_10231340673169199_471696014190109439_n.jpg

The ride still has a bit of roughness to it, but generally speaking, its still smoother than 90% of the Arrows in the world

The added set pieces are great. There's audio on the lift now. Its tough to hear over the sound of the chain dog, but you can hear it loud and clear from the ground.

There's lighting, some audio, and a few screens in the tunnel. Nothing groundbreaking and its hard to see the screens, but its better than what used to be in there.

The ride is still in previews right now. There's a rumor that the park wants to add a statue of the ride at the base of the loops. That should be ready by opening day. There's a chance that the tunnel effects will be refined as well but who knows when they'll do that.

After seeing how half-assed the effects at Darkoaster and the theming at Pantheon is, I'm glad BGW is moving in this direction for Loch Ness. I hope this leads to the park bringing back the effects in Verbolten's show building, finishing the effects on Darkoaster, and adding some theming to Pantheon.