What's new

Linnanmäki and Särkänniemi PTR

Emmett

Giga Poster
Linnanmäki and Särkänniemi PTR

Here is my photo report from a few weeks ago when I done a quick visit to Helsinki and Tampere in Finland. I've only got around to sorting the photos out now. First I flew into Helsinki and then did Linnanmaki which is right beside the city centre and then the next day I caught the train to Tampere and did Sarkanniemi Amusement Park before flying back to Dublin from Tampered.

I really enjoyed both parks even though both were rammed with people on that particular weekend. The good think is that there was so much stuff to do in each park most of the bigger rides were walk on and most people in the park on both days seemed to be families with children who stuck to the kiddie areas, which meant the other area’s were pretty quiet.

I enjoyed Sarkanniemi more than Linnanmaki but this was mainly due to Tornado, Half Pipe and the awesome observation Tower they had. Its also had a nicer setting beside a lake rather than the more restricted city location of Linnanmaki. The only problem I experienced with both parks was the high cost of the park merchandise. The selection of items was also pretty poor but for a few postcards, a few key rings and plastic beaker I ended up spending around €20 in each park which I felt was expensive compared to other parks I’ve done before.

Linnanmäki

After getting lost for about 15 minutes in the maze of street in Helsinki I was delighted when I finally spotted the park over the hill. I still had another 20 minute walk from here though.
P1030082.png

Finally I reached the park entrance.
P1030079.png

The first big attraction which greets you is Kirnu the Intamin ZacSpin coaster.
P1020791.png

I expected it to be a lot bigger but its very compact and a good choice for parks limited with room.
P1020779.png

I didn’t really think much of it to be honest. The ride is over too quick and you really get bashed around in the restraints. I just hope the larger model in Stockholm is a lot better.
P1020776.png

Next up was Salama, the Maurer Söhne spinning coaster. It had the longest queue of any of the coasters on the day.
P1020805.png

The track and car colour scheme were pretty nice. They had pink and purple cars.
P1020703.png

I’m not a big fan of these so one circuit was enough for me and it felt about the same as the other models I’ve done before.
P1020970.png

The rather strange Mack e-Motion coaster Tulireki was next.
P1020896.png

One of the weirdest I’ve seen with its suspension setup.
P1020901.png

Nice first drop but got a little bit flat after that.
P1020761.png

Right beside Tulireki was Vonkaputous the water coaster.
P1020746.png

Nobody was riding it though, probably due to the fact it was only about 14c out that day.
P1020738.png

Apart from the fact I got very soaked I really enjoyed it. The drop and turn into the spray area were fun.
P1020751.png

The only indoor coaster was Linnunrata which is located in large round building right in the centre of the park. Unfortunately I didn’t get any photos of inside.
P1020814.png

The observation tower which every European theme park seems to have. These always remind me of the one at Rhyl.
P1020793.png

It was certainly worth the trip up for the great views of Helsinki and photo opportunities of the park.
P1020806.png

Looking towards the entrance area of the park with Vuoristorata the wooden coaster.
P1020807.png

I got a bit nervous towards the top when it suddenly stops rising but thank god it doesn’t stay up for too long. I’m no good with heights.
P1020874.png

Vuoristorata the classic wooden coaster.
P1020687.png

I’d done the same models in Denmark before and knew what to expect but it was good fun and some nice airtime on the double down drop.
P1020692.png

P1020688.png

Again there were some nice views of the city and park when up the lift hill.
P1030010.png

They had some random quirky touches throughout the park and I hadn't a clue what this was about.
P1030032.png

A quick trip over to Pikajuna the powered coaster was next.
P1020728.png

It was pretty good with 3 circuits and a forceful helix towards the end.
P1020730.png

As the queue for Kirnu was quiet I had another few goes. I still think didn't think much of it though.
P1020769.png

Close up photo.
P1020819.png

There were some great expressions on people faces when riding it. Also there was alot of screaming. Its one of those coasters which really catches you out.
P1020820.png

P1020949.png

Kehrä, the enterprise ride. But after the horrors of Alkazam at Pleasure Island I gave it a miss.
P1020961.png

P1020968.png

Just in case you forgot what park you were at.
P1020885.png

The monorail which circles most of the park but you are unable to get off in between so it was mainly for the view.
P1020982.png

One of the haunted house attractions just to the right.
P1020890.png

The view towards the edge of the park and the city.
P1020894.png

Kieputin, the top son flat ride
P1020987.png

It was also my first time doing one of these rainbow rides. It turned out to be really good fun and very forceful. Probably my favourite ride in the whole park.
P1030002.png

I’m guessing Helikopteri must mean Helicopter. Pitty the rest of the Finnish wasn't as easy to understand.
P1020979.png

Finally I just finished off with a walk around to the kiddie area at the back of the park. It was mainly just full of smallish type rides but ended up having the largest crowds on the day due to the large amount of families and younger children who were visiting that day.
P1020972.png

Särkänniemi

The entrance to Sarkanniemi with the Näsinneula Tower in the background.
P1030117.png

Seeing as the park was again packed I headed straight to Tornado the Intamin inverted coaster.
P1030137.png

I was surprised at how good it was. It really picked up speed throughout the day and the station fly through section was brilliant.
P1030146.png

I spotted some new wheels just right beside the exit and I was getting more tempted to shove one into my bag each time I passed.
P1030218.png

The cobra roll.
P1030151.png

From the good to the downright awful. Its Trombi the flying coaster.
P1030161.png

It looks good but it’s a different story once you are riding it.
P1030211.png

Possibly one of the worst coasters I’ve done. The amount of head banging was unbearable. Maybe I got in wrong first time but I didn’t bother going back after that.
P1030188.png

New attraction for 2009 and its another park to get one of these Disko coasters.
P1030205.png

They certainly are popular with the younger riders and this had the biggest queue of nearly any ride in the whole park.
P1030398.png

At least it was positioned well and had a nice view over the lake to take away from the boredom of the actual ride.
P1030415.png

Se the queues were still quiet I headed over to Jet Star the Schwarzkopf Jet Star coaster.
P1030170.png

It had these strange bobsled style trains but they were pretty comfortable.
P1030445.png

The first drop and the banked corners were brilliant. Another good classic Schwarzkopf.
P1030178.png

Some of the flat rides around the park. This was the Huss Take Off,
P1030448.png

The Hurricane.
P1030495.png

The large lake area of the font on the park and the Näsinneula Tower.
P1030432.png

From the tower you get some great views of the park and the city of Tampere.
TamperePano.png

Torndao, the whole course.
P1030267.png

Going through the loop on Tornado.
P1030297.png

Half Pipe.
P1030283.png

Probably the best coaster along wih Tornado in the park. The forces and speed on this were amazing.
P1030304.png

Also on each ride it felt different due to the random amount of spinning.
P1030322.png

A close up with lots of crazy hair action going on.
P1030340.png

I only found out last week that Korkkiruuvi had been previously located on Clacton Pier in the 80's when it was named Whirlwind. Luckily I got on it earlier in the day as the queue was insane due to the slow loading.
P1030480.png

I know its a classic but it was awful, short and very rough. Once was enough.
P1030484.png

The Log River ride.
P1030508.png

The last drop and the big splash.
P1030518.png

One of the Log River boats. Each time they came by they produced a large wave which I got caught out by and got soaked while trying to take a photo. I bet it looked quite funny.
P1030501.png

Finally I had another few turns on Tornado seeing as it was walk on nearly all day and took some more photos. This is the section just before the indoor station follow through.
P1030247.png

And a close up going through the zero-g roll.
P1030224.png

Overall I had a great couple of days at both parks. Both are easy enough to access, the 2 cities are close by train and if you can pick up a cheap set of flights then Finland is certainly worth visiting.

Rach

Giga Poster
Great PTR Emmett and some gorgeous photos!

I hope when the Finland park guides get re-vamped, these photos are used.

:)

thx

Mega Poster
Lots of beautiful photos! Good to hear you didn't have to queue that much, I'd imagine it being busier right now.

You know, it's actually less than 5 minutes til' the southern entrance of the park in the first Linnanmäki photo... but then again it's nicer to enter from the main entrance :)

They added those strange cars to Jet Star for this season (could be last too didn't visit the park then) they used to have the regular low, hold-on-to-the-siderails-cars before.

Jake

Strata Poster
Love the TR!

Tornado looks SO sexy. I've always wanted to ride it.

*Squeezes in Finland trip next year*.