Votes: 24 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Undecided/Haven’t ridden yet

Votes: 22 45.8%

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. In recent days, Hyperia, the UK’s tallest and fastest roller coaster, has opened at Thorpe Park. It’s only been open for a few days thus far, but a lot of people who’ve ridden it (although admittedly not everybody) are already declaring it their top UK coaster. With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; is Hyperia your top UK coaster, if you’ve ridden? Has it finally knocked Nemesis off its top spot? Or if Nemesis wasn’t your top UK coaster before, has Hyperia usurped whatever you previously had on top? Or did it not quite reach the mark for you?

I haven’t personally ridden Hyperia yet, so I’m voting undecided at the moment, but I’m interested to see the consensus!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Yes.

See my table of every coaster in the UK I've ranked, along with their ranks in my overall count (Spoiler-ed because it's long):

Rank (Overall)​
Coaster​
Park​
12​
Hyperia​
Thorpe Park​
20​
Nemesis​
Alton Towers​
33​
The Swarm​
Thorpe Park​
34​
Nemesis Inferno​
Thorpe Park​
47​
Th13teen​
Alton Towers​
55​
Grand National​
Blackpool Pleasure Beach​
56​
Stealth​
Thorpe Park​
64​
Cobra (Paultons)​
Paultons Park​
73​
Rita​
Alton Towers​
78​
Saw - The Ride​
Thorpe Park​
83​
Storm Chaser​
Paultons Park​
92​
The Walking Dead: The Ride / X​
Thorpe Park​
94​
Galacitca / Air​
Alton Towers​
97​
Spinball Whizzer​
Alton Towers​
98​
Dragon's Fury​
Chessington​
116​
Icon​
118​
Velocity​
Flamingo Land​
119​
Kumali​
Flamingo Land​
120​
Wilde Maus XXL​
Winter Wonderland​
121​
Oblivion​
Alton Towers​
130​
Vampire (Chessington)​
Chessington​
132​
Accelerator​
Drayton Manor​
139​
Avalanche​
142​
Revolution (BPB)​
150​
Spinning Racer​
Fantasy Island​
151​
G Force​
Drayton Manor​
152​
Velociraptor​
Paultons Park​
156​
Wicker Man​
Alton Towers​
159​
Mandrill Mayhem​
Chessington​
160​
Mumbo Jumbo​
Flamingo Land​
170​
Flight of the Pterosaur​
Paultons Park​
175​
Runaway Mine Train (AT)​
Alton Towers​
177​
Rattlesnake​
Chessington​
183​
Millenium​
Fantasy Island​
195​
Rage​
Adventure Island​
199​
Corkscrew (AT)​
Alton Towers​
200​
Big Dipper​
201​
Ice Mountain​
Winter Wonderland​
204​
Odyessy​
Fantasy Island​
205​
Big One​
207​
Rhombus Rocket​
Fantasy Island​
214​
Rockin Roller​
Botton's Pleasure Beach​
219​
Infusion​
220​
Olympia Looping​
Winter Wonderland​
221​
Dinosaur Valley​
Wicksteed Park​
224​
€uro Coaster​
Winter Wonderland​
229​
The Smiler​
Alton Towers​
230​
Colossus​
Thorpe Park​
232​
Shockwave​
Drayton Manor​
240​
Hero​
Flamingo Land​

emoo

Hyper Poster
Oh yes. I've never been able to thoroughly rank coasters but this just is a top ride.

It's too short, stylized and what's with the colours?? Duh and bah humbug, we know. It does something very special very well (once the new rides issues are ironed out.)

A respectful salute to Nemesis. Anything from 1994 should have been out done many times by now even if the setting and theme is an eternal winner.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Yes.

I was admittedly one of the most skeptical when the plans for Hyperia first came about. With short coasters, those few seconds need to hit hard, otherwise you're left feeling underwhelmed. I was concerned that the elements might be too tame for its brief length.

Thankfully, all the elements have worked out brilliantly. The first drop alone makes it the best in the UK for me; it might even be my favorite first drop on any coaster I've ridden. I do think the outer-bank roll is being slightly overhyped, but it's still fun – I found it better in the left seats.

Crucially for me, it's not too intense or nausea-inducing. It’s very re-rideable.

Changa

Mega Poster
Absolutely. The scale is almost incomparable in the UK, the layout capitalises on it excellently with 3 of the best elements on any ride ever, and it's smooth with comfy trains.

Stealth is my #0 ride and still holds value for the amazing launch and adrenaline rush, but I can't say it's even a close contest between the two. And (in my opinion) Nemesis is out of contention until the front row queue comes back.

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster
It did steal the top spot from my previous favourite, the layout works brilliantly.

I was torn between moving my old number 1 to 0 as I do still really love it and is very special to me, but for now I’ve put it into 2nd place.

1718685460626.png

witchfinder

Giga Poster
I love Nemesis, rode it the year it opened and it was my number one UK coaster for 30 years, and my overall number one for a good number of years too. I will always have nostalgic love for it and it may always be my favourite UK cred. However, to say that Hyperia is not better in almost every way is to deny 30 years of evolution in the design and engineering of coasters. It's tall, fast, packed with airtime, has some elements that currently only exist on that coaster, and offers a fantastic ride experience.

TLDR: Yes, it is the top UK coaster :)

I would still say Nemesis is the UK's best themed coaster - I love what they've done with the redesign - but there's no denying that there are minor issues with the ride at the moment, with significant vibration depending on where you sit. It's a shame because if it had been glass smooth like you'd expect a brand new B&M to be, maybe I would have had more of an internal debate about which was best. Hyperia still would have won though :D

Oh and for anyone complaining it's too short, I timed both rides based on POVs from the point they leave the lift hill to the brake runs, and I think Nemesis was about 3 seconds longer. Nobody ever moaned about Nemesis being too short did they? It does everything it needs to without any dead spots, and Hyperia is the same.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
OK - with my serious head on, I'll admit this poll, along with the opinions of a few people who actually know what they're talking about, has piqued my interest.

But I've been riding Nemesis since before most Thorpe fans were born - and its year out, 'rebirth' and indeed my own recent trip around the US has brought back to me just how special that thing is - and with 24 years of memories, there's a significant amount of sentiment behind my vote. In some ways, it's rather like the love some people have for Millennium Force, Grand National or EGF, all of which are slightly past their sell by date these days - but the simple fact is - they don't make 'em like Nemesis anymore - and it's the complete package, especially with the fantastic amount of TLC it has seen over the last twelve months.

By contrast, I have precious few positive assocations with Thorpe - I've always mocked those who'd rank it anywhere near Alton and the childish dickhead in me has slightly enjoyed watching the utter ****show they made of opening their new toy (I'm aware Alton have done that two or three times, there'll be no need to point that out)

I've not actually made the trek yet, because I grudge the money and effort a trip to KT16 constitutes, especially when the ride is quite so unreliable - but I'll concede that first drop IS going to the best drop in the country - not really a difficult task considering the competion - the meandering that follows, I'll take or leave - and the hangtime, I'll definitely leave. This was a ride built to tick boxes and to be easy for the kids to market - you've only got to look over at Germany to see what Mack are really capable of. Had Hyperia had the same effort put into it as Voltron has, I might be more easily persuaded. What I DO know is that I thought Rougarou was one of the most fun coasters at Cedar Point and that I found DC Rivals fairly underwhelming (my trip down under was badly timed, coasterwise)

It will be interesting seeing this vote again when the novelty of the new toy has worn off - and, as Nick says, people have remembered the sheer unadulterated joy of night rides on Nemesis at Scarefest and fireworks.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Objectively, Hyperia is the best coaster in the UK. In terms of sensations the ride delivers, it's the closest thing we have to an RMC here. It's also the most wild and forceful Mack I've ever ridden. I like it a lot. It's modern, unique and very re-rideable - with an absolute demon of a first drop to boot.

Personally, I just don't get the same euphoria from Hyperia as I do from Stealth. So, subjectively, Stealth is still my favourite UK coaster. But Hyperia is the best UK coaster.

Side note: Let's also not forget, when arbitrarily comparing Hyperia to Voltron, that those projects were likely to have very different budgets and very different goals for their respective parks. They're not even the same type of coaster and Europa is Macks park, so Thorpe is a client of Mack whereas Europa is a project for Mack. Of course Europa, being the Mack Showroom that it is, will create a highly-themed impressive ride that sells all their ride features available. Therefore, it's not a case of "Voltron is what Thorpe could build if they put the effort in" - Thorpe have very clearly put a lot of effort into Hyperia. They've done the absolute best with whatever restrictions were in place.

Interestingly, I love a B+M hyper, but after a few rides on Hyperia I found myself thinking: I'm glad Thorpe didn't go for a B+M hyper. What we now have at Six Flags Over Staines is far more unique and quirky than that, suiting the park perfectly.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Totally respect the argument - and the fact that you have the same sentimental fondness for Thorpe that I have for Alton. I'm aware my comparisons don't always make sense - it bugs me that the Smiler could have been Lost Gravity and all they really have in common is a colour scheme!!

They could have themed Hyperia - or at least finished painting it though, and I am prepared to die on that hill :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Side note: Let's also not forget, when arbitrarily comparing Hyperia to Voltron, that those projects were likely to have very different budgets and very different goals for their respective parks. They're not even the same type of coaster and Europa is Macks park, so Thorpe is a client of Mack whereas Europa is a project for Mack. Of course Europa, being the Mack Showroom that it is, will create a highly-themed impressive ride that sells all their ride features available. Therefore, it's not a case of "Voltron is what Thorpe could build if they put the effort in" - Thorpe have very clearly put a lot of effort into Hyperia. They've done the absolute best with whatever restrictions were in place.
IMO Hyperia is the better coaster anyway, or to rephrase that, out of respect for everything that has gone into Voltron, at least the most enjoyable of the two...

(And several other people's opinions too, including some German enthusiasts we were talking to.)

Whichever order you put them in, it's crazy to think that Mack have opened two of the best, most thrilling, 'new for this year' coasters in the world. I thought the Intamin / RMC duopoly over my fanboyism was going to last forever. (Although I haven't been over to ride Mahuka yet.)

Berksfan

Roller Poster
I’ve only managed one ride so it’s too soon to tell but it’s definitely up there. The first drop was insane and I couldn’t believe how much I was out of my seat. However stealths launch for me is going to be pretty hard to beat in the long run.