What's new

Inside Top Hat vs Outside Top Hat

What type of Top Hat do you like the most?

• Inside

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Ouside

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I've never ridden a coaster with either of those but I'm curious to know what do you think of Inside and Outside Top Hats. Also, do you like the element ? How does it feel on-ride ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Liseberg is to my knowledge the only park with both versions of the Top Hat: Kanonen has an outside Top Hat, while Helix has its inside counterpart.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Coincidentally I've only ridden the examples you gave (Helix & Kanonen), and Helix's inverted tophat is absolutely amazing <3 Kanonen's is alright but I guess bigger and faster outside top hats are much better.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's the complete listing of top hats for both inside and outside:
Inside: http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&el=8891
Outside: http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&el=8892

I have been able to ride both of the inside top hat roller coasters that are left standing in the U.S. (both Mr. Freeze's) and have ridden Sky Rocket, TTD, and Xcelerator for the outside.

I much prefer the outside top hat, as you get a great view from the top and a nice pop of airtime. The inside top hat simply feels like "just another inversion", and doesn't leave any special sensation.

Definitely the outside top hat. Granted, I have only done the inside on Mr. Freeze, but like Hyde said, it feels like just another inversion whereas the outside top hat is a different sensation from any other coaster element. You get better views and on the taller coasters with outside top hats, it's fairly intimidating to look straight down!

Dutchess

Roller Poster
Despite Helix being my favorite coaster I will have to go with the outside top hat, like Hyde said, that pop of airtime and a (hopefully) nice view are pretty neat sensations, however I do get a special rush in Helix's inverted top hat too. All in all outside top hats <3

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Agreed, outside is much better. I've done both(Mr Freeze, TTD, and Storm Runner), and I can definitely say that outside is better. The pop of airtime and nice view beat out the single inversion of the inside too hat.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk