What's new

Highest G-Forces in the UK

T0M

Hyper Poster
I've been trying to research which roller coasters produce the highest g-forces in the UK.

I've found that Jubilee Odyssey and Stealth tie for first place at 4.8g each. Does anyone know of a roller coaster that produces more? Only interested in coasters, not flat rides.

Thanks.

Rcdb has stealth at 4.5 and Rita at 4.7.

Oblivion is also 4.5, Rage is also 4.5 so will be interesting to see what Saw is.

Odyssey is 4.8 no idea where though. But it looks like that one wins.

Have you been on Odyssey, it is quite intense, the drop feels about as severe as Oblivion but I'm guessing it achieves 4.8 on one of the inversions, possibly the sidewinder?

Yeah I have been on it but never thought that much of it tbh, I did not notice the G.

Take Nemesis for example, that coaster in the rain at the end of the day has more force than in the dry so no idea what that really pulls.

Yeah, I've always been shocked by how low the official figures for Nemesis are. It always feels more forceful than most coasters, to me at least. As you say, Marc, especially sat at the back on a wet day! I guess what it probably comes down to is that Nemesis has consistently high forces throughout most of the ride, where as something like Stealth has spikes of high forces for only very short ammounts of time.

Tom Green said:
I've been trying to research which roller coasters produce the highest g-forces in the UK.

I've found that Jubilee Odyssey and Stealth tie for first place at 4.8g each. Does anyone know of a roller coaster that produces more? Only interested in coasters, not flat rides.

Thanks.
http://www.rcdb.com/858.htm
I'm sure this is; and there's also: http://www.rcdb.com/3670.htm

I can't think of anything more forceful than these coasters here.

The main question is on these rides with high forces is how long do they last for?

Saying you get 4.5g is all well and good, but if you only get that for a millisecond then well it's not that good now...

Doesn't Det get -5.5g anyways?

^I knew about it, I just come across PI's first :)

I mean they're very common clones starting to steer out of fashion now.

Pleasure Island and that Boomerang is about 15 miles from my house. I have ridden it countless times, no way does it feel that intense!

If this is useful:

I found a (combined of all direction, Acc, Lats, Vertical into one line) G-Force reading of Stealth on an Accelerometer. I think it was on TPR originally, but I saved a copy. It shows a spike of 6.4G's, but substained its about 4.8G - 4.5G on the pull-up.

stealthg.jpg

There was one of Saw aswell. If I'm looking at it right, 5.2G's on the bump! 3/4Gs throughout the layout with some willy lift inbetween, 4.7G exiting the Dive loop.

sawfk.jpg

That's very useful and interesting, but it proves that there is basically no single reliable source at all!

Nemesis Inferno said:
The main question is on these rides with high forces is how long do they last for?

Saying you get 4.5g is all well and good, but if you only get that for a millisecond then well it's not that good now...
That's where rides like Nemesis come into it, according to sources Nemesis doesn't pull anything more than 3.5G (?), but due to it's compact layout you're pulling these forces, and sustaining them for greater periods of time then say the 5.2 Spike you get on a Boomerang (I think that is pulled when the front of the train plummets through the first part of the cobra roll forwards).

I find the majority of inverted coasters tend to pull good sustained G's, and within the UK only Nemesis/Nemesis: Inferno spring into mind for that; I'm sure there are other rollercoasters that pull decent sustained G's, maybe Odyssey and Knightmare?

Kebab said:
Nemesis Inferno said:

That's where rides like Nemesis come into it, according to sources Nemesis doesn't pull anything more than 3.5G (?), but due to it's compact layout you're pulling these forces, and sustaining them for greater periods of time then say the 5.2 Spike you get on a Boomerang (I think that is pulled when the front of the train plummets through the first part of the cobra roll forwards).

I find the majority of inverted coasters tend to pull good sustained G's, and within the UK only Nemesis/Nemesis: Inferno spring into mind for that; I'm sure there are other rollercoasters that pull decent sustained G's, maybe Odyssey and Knightmare?

I agree with you that sustained force like Nemesis is much more enjoyable, but for my list I am looking for maximum g-force, no matter how short.

Jubilee Oddyssey is quite intense in many places, I would say it's more intense than Nemesis but the layout isn't as good and you don't fear for your feet smashing into things like you STILL do on Nemesis.

Tom Green said:
I agree with you that sustained force like Nemesis is much more enjoyable, but for my list I am looking for maximum g-force, no matter how short.

Jubilee Oddyssey is quite intense in many places, I would say it's more intense than Nemesis but the layout isn't as good and you don't fear for your feet smashing into things like you STILL do on Nemesis.
I'm 99% sure that the Boomerang clones "are" the most forceful rollercoasters in UK, And I also believe the common Vekoma SLC clones (Infusion for e.g.) pull around 5G, but I'm not quite sure on that...

I've also heard a few stories about this: http://www.rcdb.com/1070.htm

I haven't found a source which measures the G-Force, but they had to remove an element because it was deemed "too intense" for riders to handle :?

^Another coaster I wish to forget lol. Yes it was rather intsense but the pain from it took away any enjoyment.

I agree that a Boomerang is intenese.

For me though the helix on Nemesis and Inferno are the only coaster in the UK that I feel any force on my face.

Btw a Boomerang pulls 5.2G http://www.rcdb.com/290.htm

Is there a reading for The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley? That's rough as hell :lol:

A lower force sustained for longer is going to feel far more intense than a spike. That's why these stats are uninteresting, because plenty of rides feel intense which are not that intense in numbers - like Nemesis.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Revolution yet. Most Arrow coasters cause me to black out just a tiny bit. I assume because they often dip rapidly into their loops, and so they go from negative to positive gs very quickly. How many in either direction I don't know, but the speed in which it changes causes intensity I think.

I'd be intrigued to know more about Ultimate - like what on earth it's top speed is. I suspect it's no where near as fast as it feels though.

I've often seen people on this forum talking about blacking out - I'm sure I've never experienced this on a coaster myself so I'm gonna ask some silly questions.

Is it quite common then?
And what exactly does it feel like?