What's new

Great Places with Rides, But No Roller Coasters

jackdude101

Roller Poster
This topic may turn out to be a wall of posts stating "Epcot," but whatever. Also, it doesn't have to be a theme park. It can be a city park, museum, mall, you name it. It just has to have at least one ride or attraction commonly found in a theme park or an amusement park.

City Museum definitely. MSI in Chicago has a little tracked ride, so that?

Kalahari is also pretty neat.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

First thing that instantly comes to my mind is the House on the Rock, near Wisconsin Dells. Incredible place. Absolutely outstanding. They have a "ride" being the world's largest carousel, although I'm sure that people can not ride it. I went back in 2012, so my memory may be incorrect. I just remember that this place was absolutely outstanding. Needs to be checked out if you're in the area.

not too far from me this there's little place called Hollycombe. Its like a vintage amusement park with some pretty rickety steam rides, everything is really fun. They have vintage carousels and loads of steam trains so you'd probably spend all day **** there jack!

http://www.hollycombe.co.uk/attractions

Although I've never been, Futuroscope looks really neat. Certainly one of the places I want to visit despite having no creds.

Top of the stratosphere?

6931709121_709bf15659.jpg

Not so great perhaps, but the three rides do rather well with their location.
(and used to have a coaster http://rcdb.com/141.htm, but that went a while ago)

Herschend's Stone Mountain park seems like an interesting combination of ski resort and SDC/Dollywood. I'd be interested to go even with the site's rough history.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Stone Mountain is pretty fantastic, although +15 years ago it was much better. They used to have a nice little water park that was ripped out to be replaced by a new one... and was later canceled after the original park was removed (and new slide parts on site!)

Intrepid Air and Space Museum has a few simulators. One of which, called G Force, gives you control to "fly" jet planes. You do barrel roles and other crazy maneuvers.

Chris Brown said:
not too far from me this there's little place called Hollycombe. Its like a vintage amusement park with some pretty rickety steam rides, everything is really fun. They have vintage carousels and loads of steam trains so you'd probably spend all day **** there jack!

http://www.hollycombe.co.uk/attractions

I think you might be right on that one. Because they have steam trains and vintage carousels, it really popped up on my radar.

I would be especially interested in checking out the Mr. Field's Steam Circus, a very old carousel dating to the late 1870s and claimed to be the oldest mechanically-driven ride of any kind in the world. It would help if they had the exact date (I e-mailed them about it and they said they didn't know), because there are a handful of other working carousels in the US that also date to the late 1870s.

Here's a neat place I discovered just today in England: Fawley Hill.

It's the private residence of Sir William McAlpine, who has saved a number of steam locomotives in the past including the Flying Scotsman. On his property, he has a standard gauge rail line (supposedly the steepest in Great Britain) complete with steam locomotive, station, tunnel, and signals, as well as an all-wood gallopers set. It's one of the most impressive private/invitation only locations with a steam railroad and/or classic carousel ride I have seen. Make sure to make friends with that guy!