What's new

Full circuit shuttle coasters definition

bergochdalbana

Mega Poster
How should you define these??
I'm talking about the M&S SkyLoop's and the more recent Gerstlauer Family shuttle Gold Rush at OK Corral. Coasters that are full circuit rides but work in a way similar to a shuttle coaster even though they go through the whole circuit.

fmv36dk2mlg0058qqs2mbs.jpg

From RCDB.

Should you define them, shuttle or not?

I would say no as I would define shuttle coasters as coasters that go along the whole track until reaching the end and then going the opposite way through the whole track again. The MS sky loop for example does not go backwards through the whole track and through a small part of it. I know what you mean though.

I'd probably say full circuit to be honest. The train does do a full circuit, but it just happens to do some forwards and backwards motions at the end. :D

Yeah, I wouldn't class them as shuttle coasters either.

True, they "shuttle" back and forth, but that's down to just letting them pretty much coast for a while. Actual shuttle coasters are designed to complete the full ride "experience" both forwards and backwards.

It is a full circuit roller coaster, that just happens to use its lift hill as a braking mechanism.

Shuttle roller coasters use a definite back and forth motion throughout the ride. Traditional shuttle coasters such as Boomerangs do not have a complete circuit and traverse majority of the track forwards and backwards.

However, the new Superman: Ultimate Flight obviously demonstrates that shuttle coasters can be a complete circuit, completing its circuit after a number of back and forth launches.