What's new

First ever visit to Thorpe Park 31/10/09

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Well since I arrived down South, Kerri had revealed to me that she had booked 2 tickets to Thorpe Park, unaware that Halloween was probably one of the most feared days to visit the place, bang in the middle of Fright Nights!

Obviously I never backed down due to the fact I had never visited the park, yet it is one of the most popular in this country which I felt embarassed about. So we arrived at about 9am an hour before the place opened. The turnout was already pretty massive... the car park was heaving and the customers hastily queued {some in some pretty freaky costumes}.

The first thing I noticed when we finally got round to entering the park that Stealth was down. I felt a bit annoyed that on the busiest day of the year, probably the most popular ride was not open.

58.jpg

The park was tidy on the day which is a plus. We dashed through the middle of the park anyway, and headed to what looked like the most promising coaster out of the lot, Nemesis Inferno.
The queue area is really well done I thought {the whole Volcano bit} , but the coaster itself didn't look as good up close as Alton's Nemesis.

57-1.jpg

Anyway, we were told that it would not open till later in the day, another dissapointment. At this point we just headed over to Rush, which was walk on.
My thoughts on Rush. It's a good ride, but the cycle does it no justice whatsoever. I wanted to go on Rush again later on, but I knew I'd probably have no chance.

Throughout the day we did a few more of the flats such as; Quantum, Vortex & Zodiac... which at the time {maybe 11am-1pm} were all pretty much a 5-10 min queue. Not as bad as I predicted Fright Nights would be. I was pretty dissapointed at Thorpe's themeing efforts on their flat rides.

60-1.jpg

42-1.jpg

41-1.jpg

As we passed Slammer {and realising it was also closed} we figured that X:/ No Way Out can be quickly done & it would also mean a credit for me! We waited about 10 minutes before finally getting on. It was awful & pretty much pointless, the building it sits it takes up quite a bit of space too, I don't understand why Thorpe have kept this ride in operation.

At about 2pm the park was getting a lot busier, so we knew we'd have to queue for a coaster again, to grab the main credits. So, it was Colossus. To be fair, when you approach the ride it looks okay. The terraining section that fires past the queueline is great.

65-1.jpg

64-2.jpg

It was definately a shame I had to queue almost 2 hours for the damn thing though. Inversions are really quite rough on the thing, but the drop is fine, not smooth but definately not painful. Obviously the ride is based around inversions so it is quite a bloody rough bugger, I didn't enjoy it really. To be honest after the Cobra roll I just wanted to get off and bandage my head up.

62-1.jpg

Finally we got on Nemesis Inferno pretty much instantly after we dashed from the Colossus exit straight into the queueline. What did I think? It was dissapointing, I have to be honest. The drop was alright I cannot really critiscise it, but the rest was just boring. There's not actually any intensity to it, and I think Altons Nemmy is definately a better ride, without question.

I then decided we should give the rapids a go, they opened later on and it was walk on by the time we reached them. To be fair they are similar to Altons, and pretty much adequate at best. From the water next to the rapids, I stared at the credit that remained closed.

71.jpg

I knew in my mind that Saw was packed, so we knew to avoid it until we could brave a 2+ hour queueline again. So we headed to the better themed area of the park, Amity Cove. I am impressed with Amity, it is miles ahead of most themeing the UK has. Tidal wave was empty almost, but it wasn't the type of day to ride it anyway. I can imagine it being rather picturesque in summer or in hot weather.

73.jpg

44-1.jpg

I liked this thing too!

45-1.jpg

The KFC probably deserves a mention, it fits in so well with the Amity environment.
Mazes were all packed out and Saw was absolutely rammed. Dissapointed due to not getting on any of them. {For all those that wondered, Stealth opened later in the afternoon but remained packed}.

All in all I think Thorpe is one of the best parks in the UK undoubtedly, but there seems to be no atmosphere. I don't know why, I was not drawn to the park. Fright Nights certainly drew thousands of chavs to the park which made it even worse to queue, they make a 10 min queue feel like a 2 hour queue.
I will be visiting more often, it seems like a good park to pass-by on the way to better European parks. But yes I will definately advise people not to do Halloween at Thorpe. The morning is okay but as soon as you get to maybe 2pm, you will get on hardly anything.

Ride Count:

Nemesis Inferno x1
Colossus x1
Flying Fish x1
X:/ No Way Out x1
Rush x1
Zodiac x2
Quantum x1
Vortex x1
Train Ride? x1
Log Flume x1
Rumba Rapids x1

{Sorry about the picture quality, all took on a cameraphone!}

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
All in all I think Thorpe is one of the best parks in the UK undoubtedly, but there seems to be no atmosphere.

THIS is what I say all the time!

Let alone the break-downs and reliability etc...

2 hour Colossus queue is two hours you'll never get back at any rate...

spicy

Giga Poster
What the hells up with that Stealth picture that looks like it goes into the ground? I kept looking at it I couldn't figure it out :lol:

Doesn't sound like you had a very good time? Shame really as these were the best organised fright nights ever. If you think it was busy you should have seen it in previous years.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
No I did have a good time lol, but you can see how people could be easily frustrated at the place... the biggest night of the year almost and rides were just closing left right and centre. Not for the whole day, but for good periods.

And there are seriously so many chavs, well there were on that night. It kind of annoys you. So yes, I had a good time, but I think it's a bit of a letdown all in all.

Brookes

Giga Poster
What the hells up with that Stealth picture that looks like it goes into the ground? I kept looking at it I couldn't figure it out

I don't get it either, why is there like leaves and black on top of the picture?

And good report seems like it was really busy like when I went in summer, but looked a bit worse for you. I really like Thorpe as a park but the queues can be a bit wild. I don't get how people say Colossus is rough I think it is great, nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^Its just the reflection from the lake with the photo turned upside down.

Nice report, I really like this photo of Colossus as it looks like you were standing right beside the track

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Thanks guys.

Yes the park is good, but nothing amazing stands out here, which is really disspointing because it sits so close to our capital city and is pulling in big enough attendance figures. It should and could be better!

wabbit42

Mega Poster
I agree with...
Stealth is always closed when I go
Amity Cove does have the best theming
SAW and Colossus are not worth waiting 2 hours for
etc etc etc....