What's new

First-Ever Shipboard Water Coaster

Ollie

CF Legend
When Disney Cruise Line debuts the new Disney Dream in early 2011, the ship will include multiple innovations never seen before in the industry.
The AquaDuck water coaster will sweep guests on a 765-foot high-speed flume ride with uphill acceleration and a swing-out loop letting you look down to the ocean 150 feet below.

Guests staying in inside staterooms will enjoy views of the ocean and sky through Virtual Portholes with hi-def views, live from cameras on the Disney Dream's exterior. Guests may also see Peach (the starfish from the Disney-Pixar film "Finding Nemo") or Mickey Mouse pop by the Virtual Porthole. The Disney Dream will also cater to the unique vacation needs of individual family members.

While young children play in interactive spaces recreating Disney-Pixar films "Toy Story" and "Monsters, Inc.", teens and tweens each enjoy their own high-tech clubs, and parents indulge in The District - an adult-exclusive entertainment area of sophisticated bars and lounges.

The Disney Dream is scheduled to depart on its maiden voyage Jan. 26, 2011 and will sail alternating three- and four-night cruises to the Bahamas and Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. During summer months, the ship will alternate four- and five-night itineraries with two stops at Castaway Cay. Guests can book their Disney Dream cruise beginning Nov. 9, 2009. To learn more about Disney Cruise Line, visit disneycruise.com.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBIsOcJTVi0&feature=sub[/youtube]

Now that looks like my kind of boat. :p

I thought the article said 765 feet high coaster... now that would have been awesome.

And will this ship be the most expensive ever? Just wondering, this stuff seems... well, generally awesome.

I doubt that it will be overly expensive. Of course there's a premium because it's Disney, but Disney Cruises are tacky, so it shouldn't be too much.

I didn't get 'AquaDuck' until I heard him say it.
:roll:

Oh, and anybody notice that for a 'family friendly' cruise, they seem to go a long way to separate family members from one another?

Pokemaniac said:
I thought the article said 765 feet high coaster...
Haha i thought the exact same thing, looks cool though. Would be kinda scary going through that transparent/translucent protruding bit

That flume ride looks brilliant. If you can't get a real coaster onto a ship then this looks the next best thing.

Also those toy rooms look amazing. I'm guessing a cruise is going to cost a good bit though.

rollermonkey said:
Oh, and anybody notice that for a 'family friendly' cruise, they seem to go a long way to separate family members from one another?

That's how cruises work though, every family member has something that they will enjoy, they know that family find it difficult to find something to do together when away.

If you can't get a real coaster onto a ship then this looks the next best thing.

These slides aren't really the next best thing to be honest. I've been on a few of them now, apart from Altons, and they ain't really that good.

The only decent thing about them is if they have a massive drop, like the ones at Butlins.

^Or a jump, like the one at AquaParadise, Italy. ;)

I do quite like those "Master-Blaster" type rides, however the only think that will make this one thrilling is the transparent tubes over the sea.

WOW. The entire ship looks amazing.
Especially Andy's Toy Room. You don't know how much I want to go there.

A video has been released showing a POV render of the slide.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMcb8cGThI&feature=sub[/youtube]
Doesn't look that great now and if it goes as slow as it does in the video it'll be boring. I like the lights in the dark tunnel bit though.

Very impressive. I like the guitar going on in the tunnel sections. Expensive cruise but I think if you have the money it'll be well worth it.

Martyn B said:
What is this Disney vacation club that keeps getting mentioned?
The Disney Vacation Club is an american club to save money on trips to disney parks/attractions/holidays/cruises etc. in the US
I think thats right and hope it helps :wink:

Also the cruise looks very nice and expensive

Granted, the transparent tubes are interesting, but this is to master blasters what 'jet' coasters are to conventional coasters.
A couple of tiny uphill sections with long boring straights, come off it!

Haha, I too thought it said "765 foot high" coaster, but even if it's not, it still looks cool and it would probably scare me when it went over the water.

I almost did a Disney cruise back when I went to Disney, but in the end I think they should be two separate things. If you want to go to Disney, make your own itinerary and stay in a hotel. If you wanna do a cruise, look at the Carnival cruise lines or something.. But either way, this cruise does look mighty fun!