What's new

Fame - Film Re-Make 2009.

AJ

Giga Poster
Remember the name? Fame?

Well, the 'hit' film from 1980 gets a refurb for todays generation.

Featuring original songs from the musical, plus new ones, this film will appeal to the younger / teen generation.
Debby Allen, from the original film cast of 'Fame' will be playing the principle of La Guardia High School of Performing Arts.

It will be released on 25 September 2009 in the UK.

Not much more has been released about the film yet other then a very small trailer.

Peronally, i can't actually wait for this film to be released. Although i hope it may differ from the generic Love story dance films, i could be wrong. But it's Fame, they're following the storyline, this should be epic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r8PZ_bV84Y[/youtube]

Mark

Strata Poster
Ah yes, I wondered when this topic would appear...

I watched the trailer and to be perfectly honest, I am not sure what to make of it.

Now, the original film (although highly rated, apparently), has never been a massive winner for me. In fact it was somewhat of a disappointment. The scene with the dancing in the street for instance. Rather then a big routine set piece they all just jump around... No thanks, I'll take the stage version. Everyone always says the 80's series on TV was better, although I haven't see that to know.

Anyways, fast forwarding into 2009 and they are remaking the movie. Is is necessary? Probably not. I know they are cashing in on the surge of Musicals being popular again, which, as a musical fan, is fantastic news! BUT, do I just want to see old musicals rehashed. Not really. I would like to see musicals hit that silver screen that haven't had their chance to shine: Blood Brothers, Cats, Les Mis even. (There may actually be film versions of those, but I am yet to see/hear of them). What about a film version of Avenue Q showing its kitsch Sesame street meets reality irony on the screen.

The re-working of the music here actually screams a little desperate. It seems liked they have dragged the music, kicking and screaming through a bush load of anthrax in order to make it sound like it fits the noughties. No slick RnB beat is needed to make Fame an amazing song. It was in the first place, so why do it? A slight modernization of the instruments used in the original score would have sufficed.

I think this will be a watch on DVD for me tbh

Ollie

CF Legend
Shouldn't this be in the film topic? :p

Anyway, I've only seen the stage-show of Fame as my cousin was in it. Apart from that I don't think I'll see it unless it looks more interesting nearer the date it's coming out.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I think it looks quite good. I agree with Mark in the sense that I don't think it needed to be re-made.

I do prefer the stage version, although, I have no idea why 'Out here on my own' was never included in that!

I'll will go and see it though.

AJ

Giga Poster
Mark said:
Ah yes, I wondered when this topic would appear...

The re-working of the music here actually screams a little desperate. It seems liked they have dragged the music, kicking and screaming through a bush load of anthrax in order to make it sound like it fits the noughties. No slick RnB beat is needed to make Fame an amazing song. It was in the first place, so why do it? A slight modernization of the instruments used in the original score would have sufficed.

You have to think, the audience this film will be aimed at will be teens. && As far as i'm aware, many teens today would hear the original song, and laugh "OMIGODGAYWTF"

I mean, when you look at what they're competing against:

HONEY:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29NgBfM8hKo[/youtube]

STEP UP:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBht5wbQzyw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXmZUb_E5rk[/youtube]

TAKE THE LEAD:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riWIMO18NEQ[/youtube]

SAVE THE LAST DANCE 2:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BHotdWOMKg[/youtube]

YOU GOT SERVED:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xBxJ805Vp0[/youtube]

All of these dance related films have R&B Merged in with the dances, ballet, street or contemp. They are also all based around love stories.

Fame 2009 are clearly aiming for the same audience, but with more of a wider story with several main characters, not just 2.

I mean, why would they want to keep the original score, and not get the target audience watching, when they can change it, and make a highly successful film.
What you have to bare in mind is that although, as a musical theatre fan, you would rather the original left alone, the youth of today just wouldn't be interested as such.

Ben

CF Legend
Mark said:
What about a film version of Avenue Q showing its kitsch Sesame street meets reality irony on the screen.

I'd cry if that happened.

Wicked is on IMDB and stuffs now though, so that's looking likely xD

I've never liked Fame though... the new music says RENT REMIXED at me though. And then I cry.

AJ

Giga Poster
^Seconded.

Btw, Wicked shall be made into a film, deffinately. But Schwartz doesn't want to hand over the rights til it's the right time.

tks

Strata Poster
You mean until the price is right? Or when the musical dies (hopefully soon so something decent can be put in its place)..

Slash

Giga Poster
I'm not a big musical fan, well actually I'm not a musical fan at all! But when it boils down to it the only musicals I have ever enjoyed have been The Lion King and Fame, bring on the film!

The music was fine the way it was though, the way they've changed it has made it worse.

I'd like to see what the acting is like.

Mark

Strata Poster
See Aj, thats just it. I don't see the necessity of all these remakes for the new generation...

There is far too much of this going on in Cinema these days. Whether it is remakes of old horror films or musicals, or any other type... It's lazy and unnecessary!

AJ

Giga Poster
But if it's gonna rake in the cash, then they're gonna keep doing it I guess.

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
I'm going to pretend i never saw this.... I think it's sinful they're doing this!

You can't fix what isn't broken...

Dave

CF Legend
Les Miserables should never be made into a film musical, it would loose all the power that makes it great. Its kinda why Phantom of the Opera sucked.

Dave

CF Legend
Yes Gerard Butler wasn't the most strongest of Phantoms, still should've got John Owen Jones in, best Phantom ever!

It still not as amazing as the stage, my jaw hit the floor several times.

Mark

Strata Poster
Well of course, these shows never quite fare as well on screen as they do on stage IMO. This is because you can't translate that theatre live actor experience into cinema. It would be the same as playing a live gig on DVD in a cinema, it just isn't as good as being there!

What i'm getting at is the fact that if you are going to do them on screen, don't just rehash what has already been done before!

marc

CF Legend
There is only one film re make I like and thats Charlie and the Choclate Factory.

This Fame film looks pants and the music sounds ****. I was not really a fan of the 1st film but what made it was the cheap look and feel to it just normal kids going to a drama school.

This Fame is a lets make money on the back of High School Musical. It just looks like its lost what Fame was all about.

Thats my view on it anyway.

the_missus

Mega Poster
I've never seen the original film of Fame, funnily enough its never appealed to me. But I did go see the musical a few years back and absolutely loved it! The cast were just amazing and well it was just awesome! Blew me away! I really should have gone back and seen that on stage again.

I will probably go see the film, just because it reminds me of the musical which I have very fond memories of.

And it seems these days in the Film industry that everything is being remade, redone, reworked etc etc! It really does bug me, but it does seems there are hardly any good and original blockbuster films out there. So if they wanna bring Fame back...then why not?! They'll cash in well and hopefully it might stop people banging on about High School Musical for about 30 seconds!

Ben

CF Legend
Dave said:
Les Miserables should never be made into a film musical, it would loose all the power that makes it great. Its kinda why Phantom of the Opera sucked.

lol, how random would One Day More be in a film... Having that huge build up... to just randomly go into another scene would suck, like it would "I'm DEEFFFYYYINNGG GGGRAAVVIITTYYY"... OH, we're now ages down the line and "THANK GOODNESS". No. Silly film makers that won't work...

Um, I really didn't like the original Fame though, so I probably won't even bother watching this one until at least DVD time!