What's new

Driving lessons

Peter

Hyper Poster
I'm sure most people won't care about this, but it was quite funny for us. :p

The weekend before Ghosterforce, Martyn H and Ciall came to stay at mine. On sat evening we went to a deserted car park where I let them have a go at driving Little Rot (my car.)

Here are the results of the first 10 mins or so. We did alot more but only recorded the first part.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxyrrAc9_ws[/youtube]

If you skip to the last min of the above video you can see my destroying my tyres. :p

Unfortunately you don't get the effect of speed or how much the car was sliding from the video, but you get nice tyre noises. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChTqmKVgAjk[/youtube]

I think Ciall managed to stall every single time in his first stint. I will say though that he did get better later on into the evening. :p

Ollie

CF Legend
How can you be so **** at driving? Even when I first started I thought I was going to bad but did great.
Also when I was learning I accidentally pulled off in 3rd gear a couple of times and my instructor said he was amazed I managed to do it without stalling and making it seem like the car was in first gear.
I remember the first time I drove in Wales though when I was about 7. Used to sit on my uncles lap and he did the pedals and I steered as we went down the drive on our farm which was quarter of a mile long.

But yeah Ciall and Martyn fail badly. AGAIN!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^3rd gear pullaway... weak. I can get 4th in my Dad's car, but it's no fun as you don't have any hard acceleration. Starting in 2nd is much more satisfying.

However, you guys don't seem to have gotten the jist of the whole driving lark. It was midly amusing to watch though!

Ollie

CF Legend
^I did it accidentally without thinking about it though. And because 3rd gear is up the top as well as 1st I thought I was in 1st gear as I didn't look. :lol:
Driving is great fun. It's other drivers that put me off though. All I need to do now is save up for insurance which is stupidly expensive.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ollie said:
How can you be so **** at driving? Even when I first started I thought I was going to bad but did great.

I'm assuming that you had a car fitted with duel controls? Knowing a driving instructor and having passed my test, I can tell you that when you start driving, all you do is use the accelerator, steer, indicate and position the gear stick. The instructor is controlling your breaking and clutch moments!

Anyway, out of interest, how much did it cost to insure Martyn H and Ciall on your car?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I've got a sad feeling you're right.

Driving is a lot of fun. Ollie, don't get put off by other drivers. Going out on your own (I'm assuming you've passed) is where you really learn to drive. A driving instructor simply teaches you to pass the test and give some advice.

Emmett

Giga Poster
:lol: , nice to see there are some other people out there bad at driving like myself.

I want to see some burnouts and hand braking lessons next time Peter :--D .

Peter

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
Anyway, out of interest, how much did it cost to insure Martyn H and Ciall on your car?

erm...we wern't on public roads, and had they crashed I would have just claimed that I was driving. :p

I want to see some burnouts and hand braking lessons next time Peter .

If you want to buy me a car which can do those things then i'll happily thrash it around and make a video for you. :lol:

My handbrake is knackered now and will not actually lock the back wheels on dry tarmac. I can only handbrake turn in very wet conditions or on dirt/gravel/leaves. Bad times... :(

Ollie

CF Legend
Hixee said:
^I've got a sad feeling you're right.

Driving is a lot of fun. Ollie, don't get put off by other drivers. Going out on your own (I'm assuming you've passed) is where you really learn to drive. A driving instructor simply teaches you to pass the test and give some advice.
Yeah I passed ages ago. Was going to have my aunts old car but insurance was stupidly expensive. Although when I go to my dads in insured on his car so I do most the driving then. I drove back from each park during Ghosterforce. :)
I just want a car of my own though. It's annoying as most people learning to drive now say they have a car for when they pass but I've passed and don't have one. :lol:
And Ian I know that but when your driving you can feel when the instructor is using dual controls as the pedal moves on it's own. :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Don't bother with your own car. I'm not going to simply because it's not necessary.

I'm insured to drive both my parent's cars (Mum - VW Polo, Dad - [08 reg.] 3-series BMW).

My logic is, stay insured on both those policies (my dad gets a new car every four years) while I am at University, but not actually own my own car. This means that I can still drive the cars when I'm at home and I can rack up a four/five year no-claims bonus.

That way when I come to buy and insure my own car I don't have to pay anywhere near as much. Simples.

yinyang

Mega Poster
Lol great to watch, hope you guys get better at the driving lark soon. I have a 1.0 litre car nowadays so its all slow acceleration which is annoying, no boy racer days left for me i'm afraid :(

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Oh dear...

Admittedly, this was my first time in a drivers seat, let alone actually driving a car :lol: My first 10 mins don't really do me justice. My second and third stints had virtually no stalls and I got away much quicker.

Driving is very fun though :p And wheelspin starts ftw.

I hope you enjoyed my epic failures.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^We did. Don't you worry about that.