What's new

Do you read comics?

Do you read comics?

• Yes, every other day or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Now and then

• Comics are for 5-year-olds (means 'no')

• What is a comic?

• Total voters

thx

Mega Poster
I only read "newspaper-strip type" comics that make me laugh or smile like Dilbert- and The Far Side-albums occasionally. (lent from the library, I wouldn't pay for them) Then out of newspapers, I like Calvin & Hobbes and a Finnish one called Fingerpori, because it can be soo wrong and politically incorrect = hilarious.

Haven't ever read nor liked comics with superheroes etc.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Are we talking comics, as in the crappy marvel stuff?

Or proper graphic novels, as in: "the watchmen" or "batman: The dark knight returns"?

mrclam

Giga Poster
A proper well made comic/graphic novel is imho more "grown up" than watching a movie (or even reading a book).

Like a movie, the story is laid out for you in sequence, but unlike a movie you fill in the gaps between the frames with you own imagination. And unlike a book you use imagination to fill in all the bits you dont read.

For example, consider two frames of comic:

Frame 1: picture of a woman beaten to a pulp, a dark figure with his knife raised.

Frame 2: Outside in the dark streets, a caption reading "Aarrggh" is shown

Simple enough. But did the woman die? Did someone come in and kill the murderer? How exactly did the death take place? You're filling in the blanks and conducting the murder in your own mind.

In films/books it's normally show/described to you in graphic detail.

So if you think about it, a good comic (and i dont mean beano/dandy/viz) is like watching a film which isnt handed to you 100% on a plate.

If it wasnt for great comic books then great films like "sin city" and "300" wouldnt even exist. One of the reason "sin city" was so great was it was almost frame to frame replica of the 3 comic books stories it was telling.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Are we talking comics, as in the crappy marvel stuff? Or proper graphic novels, as in: "the watchmen" or "batman: The dark knight returns"?
As few CF-ers there are reading comics, I think you can choose your own defination without anyone beating you for that. Myself, I haven't read many graphic novels, save for parts of "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck". But there are many comics out there, and the Belgians surely know how to make them. Gaston LaGaffe is hilarious at best, and at worst it's like 'hahaha...'

I have only read one issue of Beano, but if that Beano issue reflects the average British comic, it won't hurt you not reading it (as opposed to Donald Duck...)

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
I used to buy Striker all the time, infact I have every issue, until it ceased production.

For those who don't know what Striker was, look in The Sun and you'll see the little daily fantasy football strip.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I used to, but I grew out of them I think.

The Beano was the best.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
I used to, but I grew out of them I think.

See i hate that attitude that comic books are just for kids.

Sure, some comics (beano, et all) are designed for kids.

But there are some REALLY REALLY good comic novels out there which are quite frankly ace.

The like of batman begins and sin city wouldnt have been nearly half as good if it wasnt for good source material which they followed properly.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Do comic strips in newspapers count?

I religiously read Andy Capp.

andycapp20024423160118-710828.gif

lcrcap060627gif.jpg

trav

Mega Poster
Yeah. I read comics every week.
Well, I read manga.

I read every issue of Bleach and Naruto as soon as it's been translated.