Detonator Or Apocalypse?

• Detonator@Thorpe Park

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apocalypse@Drayton Manor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Patrick

Hyper Poster
I've seen a few debates on other forums about which of these rides is best, So I thought I'd make a poll about it. I haven't ridden detonator, But i've been on Apocalypse and it was one of the most insane rides I've been on.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Apocalypse!! Stand-up with floor was the best sensation ever. I haven't been on Detonator yet but I will later on this year.

I haven't been on either, so I won't vote, but I'll give a bit of input.

Apocalypse looks good. It has the sit down, stand up, and stand up floorless, and it seems to be a decent ride overall. However, Detonator looks like it would give better forces for the size that it is. I've seen tons of videos of that ride and it's very fast for what it is, thus I think it would be more intense, and I'd probably rather ride that than Apocalypse.

Maybe Scarlet has brainwashed me with all of those Det videos though!

Tom

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
it's very fast for what it is

It launches downwards, that's why!

It's tough, as you get more nervous and more superforces on Det, but Apocalypse wins because of the standing sensation.

Oh, and not to mention that it a bit taller, which also helps!

But I still love Det!

John91

Mega Poster
I've only ridden Det, But the feeling it gives you on the way down is just sensational. No matter how many times I ride it, I still yell at the top of my voice when I ride it.

David

Mega Poster
I have yet to be on the standing side of Apocalypse so I'm basing this on the sitting side.

I prefer Detonator as I think it is much more forceful and I wasn't majorly impressed by the sitting side of Apocalypse, but the standing side may change my opinion.

For now I will say Detanator though.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Apocalypse and Detonator look like two of Britain's best tower rides.

I haven't ridden Apocalypse but the sensation of standing up on it sounds great, especially when you're 180 feet up. However I love Detonator and the fact that it's only 100 feet tall, yet it's made up for with the downward launch. I love that.

So even though I haven't ridden Apocalypse, Detonator still looks slightly better than it, at least than the sit-down sides of Apocalypse.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I've been on both and I reckon it's difficult to decide as they each have good qualities. The floorless element on Apocalypse is great and the forceful drop on Detonator is very impressive - I can't make up my mind as they are both good but for different reasons! :D

Will

Strata Poster
Lain said:
Detonator.

Easily.
Lain is quite right :p
My opinion has not changed since the last one of these. Or the one before that, or the one before that etc. I still prefer airtime, force and such over extra height and that stupid standing gimmick with which Drayton experienced a lengthy imfatuation... much to the detriment of many of their attractions. Not to mention Apocalypse hurts in places I prefer not to be hurt... while the drop fails to deliver in anything like the same way as Detonator, with or without brainwashing.
Similarly, whilst I'll probably be merghed for allowing this to influence my opinion, Det is in the far superior park. And it's not often I get to say that about Thorpe!

Rach

Giga Poster
I like both great amounts. But prefer Apocalypse marginally.

I prefer standing up on drop towers more than sitting down. Apocalypse has the added tilt to which I think is great.
I like Det for the airtime and the downward launch, the drop can also catch me by suprise like it has done the two times I have rode it.

So yeah Apocalypse but only just.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They're both brilliant. Detenator has a bit more force, but Apocalypse wins for size. They're both even, until you take into account the standing side on Apocalyse it wins.

Apocalypse wins only just.

Jake

Strata Poster
I used to love Detonator, but since it's got older, crapper and it's lost the awesome music i'll have to say Apocalypse. The music/countdown just pushed Det ahead you see.

Rob

Mega Poster
Det, without a shadow of a doubt.

Appocalypse, its good, gives a bit of airtime and a cool falling sensation, but you cant beat being launched downwards, getting air time galore the whole way down...

Plus, Det has a great soundtrack.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Am I the only that doesn't seem to have a passion for Det?

Yeah, it was good, a bit short in height but still provided a nice ride. Oooh cool, compressed air pistons that launch you downwards... well, I wouldn't call that a "launch". It's more of little push.
Regarding the soundtrack, yeah, a countdown (last time I rode it, it didn't work), wooho! But that was about it.

Apocalypse (I haven't ridden it but I judge having ridden Hurakan Condor which happens to be quite similar) on the other hand, is fairly tall and offers 3 different experiences, is better themed and the falling sensation lasts a bit more.

So, Apocalypse for me.

Pierre

Strata Poster
If Apocalypse only had sit-down option then Det would win hands-down.

But the stand-up options make it Apocalypse awesome...

Ben

CF Legend
Orio said:
but I judge having ridden Hurakan Condor which happens to be quite similar

But worse.

Don't forget worse.

By a significant margin.

Don't forget the margin. It's big.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Orio said:

But worse.

Don't forget worse.

By a significant margin.

Shut up Ben! Hurakan MUST be the same as Apocalypse so, there is not margin for worse/better... they are both Intamin Drop Towers so the airtime you get must be the same. If anything, Hurakan should be considered the better of the two cause it's taller, thus giving a longer and more thrilling ride.

Ben

CF Legend
Orio said:
Ben said:
Orio said:

But worse.

Don't forget worse.

By a significant margin.

Shut up Ben! Hurakan MUST be the same as Apocalypse so, there is not margin for worse/better... they are both Intamin Drop Towers so the airtime you get must be the same. If anything, Hurakan should be considered the better of the two cause it's taller, thus giving a longer and more thrilling ride.

You'd think so wouldn't you?

Yeah, well, it's not. Hurakan sucks. 330ft of pointlessness.

Tilting late, no floored stand-up (side with the most airtime :p) and lack of choice = Hurakan can suck me off.