What's new

Definition of "Worlds Tallest Coaster"

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I was wondering, if Kingda Ka was built in 2005 at 456 ft and the high roller at the stratosphere tower was 909 ft.. i think. Then wasn't the high roller the tallest before it got removed?

Im probably being just noobish but im a bit confused.

A

Anonymous

Well the height of a coaster is measured from the top of the lowest foundation to the tallest part of the ride.

The height that you mention of High Roller is very wrong since the height of the tower should not be included in the height of the coaster. The measurement should be taken from the lowest support foundation on top of the tower to the highest part to be fair against other coasters.
It's like building a coaster on top of Mount Everest and say that it's the tallest, just because it's located higher up then the rest of the rides.

nealbie

CF Legend
Haven't the foggiest really, but I'm assuming that the record is based on the height difference between the lowest and highest points of the same coaster? :?

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, just like if I stood on the top of Mt Everest I wouldn't be the tallest person in the world.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
But, is the tower itself not the "support" for High Roller (or was?) Or does it have to be a dedicated support for the coaster? :p

Anyway, I recommend a dictionary and looking up the two words - Height and Tall. Then digest the difference :p

tks

Strata Poster
Well if you took the tower away i'm pretty sure high roller would've gone crashing down. Therefore it was a support.

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
UC said:
I'm just trying to make sure we don't get a group of 13 year olds that go around telling everyone how "CoasterForce thinks High Roller was the world's tallest coaster!"

lol, IM GOING OUT TO TELL ALL OF MY 16 YEAR OLD FRIENDS THAT!!! JK

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
UC said:
I'm just trying to make sure we don't get a group of 13 year olds that go around telling everyone how "CoasterForce thinks High Roller was the world's tallest coaster!"

Don't worry, you won't (well, from me)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
My mum says dat she finks dat dose coastaz are bare tall wen u put dem on da ground. Wen day r on da roof, day r propa high... see da difforents? But dont confoos dem wiv lenkf, dats going norf like propa diffs from da point.

uc speeks troof.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Surely you should measure from highest point of track to lowest point of track? Because then:

1) Stops confusion between supports and towers such as stratosphere tower
2) Terrain coasters are measured from the top of the highest rack to lowest, not from height to ground, which is obviously going to be much shorter for some following the contours of the hill
3) Underground coasters such as oblivion will be measured accurately
4) Coasters would not be able to 'cheat' by adding massive aerials to the top of their structure so that they get the heighest coaster.